Differences Between the Keysi Fighting Method and Defence Lab

DIYorDie89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I just have a question about the differences between the Keysi Fighting Method and Defence Lab. What are the pros and cons for both fighting styles?

OP
D

DIYorDie89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The reason I’m asking is because I wanted to make my own style based on these styles, but I want to take the best elements from both of them.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First learn the styles and figure out what is good/bad and why. Otherwise you'll basically be asking us to make a fighting style for you.

OP
D

DIYorDie89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You want to create your own style based on these, and yet you know so little about them that you need to ask this?

you are way way out of your depth.
I was meaning to look more into these styles anyway, but I wasn’t home and couldn’t get access to my computer so I had to use my phone to ask a quick question on this before I forgot until I got home.

Last edited:
OP
D

DIYorDie89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First learn the styles and figure out what is good/bad and why. Otherwise you'll basically be asking us to make a fighting style for you.
I didn’t think about that. The only reason I was asking this was because I was away from my computer and I used my phone to ask this question until I could get onto my computer so I could research these styles. Thanks.

OP
D

DIYorDie89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You want to create your own style based on these, and yet you know so little about them that you need to ask this?

you are way way out of your depth.
One OTHER thing I forgot to say is that MAYBE there’s a chance that someone who is as interested as I am in learning both these styles has the same question and I’m asking in hopes that THEY will get the answers too. I’ll look at both these styles and list the pros/cons to both of them when I do.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn’t think about that. The only reason I was asking this was because I was away from my computer and I used my phone to ask this question until I could get onto my computer so I could research these styles. Thanks.
More than research, you'd actually have to train the styles in order to combine them into a new style. Otherwise you won't really understand it.

OP
D

DIYorDie89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
More than research, you'd actually have to train the styles in order to combine them into a new style. Otherwise you won't really understand it.
I was planning on doing more than just researching them. I am planning on training these styles as well. I think it’s time I told you about my background that I haven’t gotten around to posting about in the INtroducing Myself thread just yet so you could get an idea of what I’m about. I have a 1st degree black belt in American Kenpo and since leaving, I have gotten into making my own self-defense systems by researching (and training) all these fighting styles because I want to be a self-defense instructor one of these days. Not just that, but I would also look at the best variations for a certain technique (like the Jab, for example), take the best step(s) from each variation and use them to make my own devastating version of it so it does maximum damage with minimum effort in minimum time.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
So after you train keysi and defense lab and whatever else goes into the mix, how are you going to test your new self defense system? Go get into street fights? MMA? How do you differentiate a good technique from a devastating one?

OP
D

DIYorDie89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So after you train keysi and defense lab and whatever else goes into the mix, how are you going to test your new self defense system? Go get into street fights? MMA? How do you differentiate a good technique from a devastating one?
This is a work in progress. I’m still trying to figure out how to test this myself. I might even do what Paul Vunak did and use front line cops, combat soldiers and street fighters as guinea pigs. How I would go about that, I’m figure that out along the way.

OP
D

DIYorDie89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Let me just get one thing out of the way. To everyone who‘s going to give me **** about me wanting to create my own styles using various fighting styles, go love yourselves. Just get that bo staff out of your asses and shut the love up. The only ones who’ve been helpful are Monkey Turned Wolf and Blindside while you guys just came here to be assholes. So either have something to contribute to this thread that’s remotely helpful or love right off.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Both Keysi Fighting Method and Defence Lab use the crazy monkey approach. Your defense arms are very close to your own head. This will give your opponent too much space to generate his speed and power into his punch. This will also give your opponent a chance to wrap your arms along with your head. When it happen, your eyes will be covered by your own arms and also your opponent's arms. You can't see very well. It's not a good position to be in.

head_lock_against_neck_tie.gif

Last edited:
OP
D

DIYorDie89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Both approaches have one thing in common, your defense arms are very close to your head. This will give your opponent a chance to wrap your arms along with your head. When it happen, your eyes will be covered by your own arms and also your opponent's arms. You can't see very well. It's not a good position to be in.

View attachment 26919
Thank you very much, this is something I’ll have to take into account when training this.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you very much, this is something I’ll have to take into account when training this.
When you use

- short guard such as the "crazy monkey", you try to shoot down your enemy missile on top of your capital.
- long guard such as the "double hooks", you try to shoot down your enemy missile outside of your coast line.

OP
D

DIYorDie89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When you use

- short guard such as the "crazy monkey", you try to shoot down your enemy missile on top of your capital.
- long guard such as the "double hooks", you try to shoot down your enemy missile outside of your coast line.
Thanks, I put these notes in my phone. This will help.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Jesus, Man.... Just go to train both styles, test them in the cage and on the streets many times and then realize you do not need to ask not-so-clever questions.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let me just get one thing out of the way. To everyone who‘s going to give me **** about me wanting to create my own styles using various fighting styles, go love yourselves. Just get that bo staff out of your asses and shut the love up. The only ones who’ve been helpful are Monkey Turned Wolf and Blindside while you guys just came here to be assholes. So either have something to contribute to this thread that’s remotely helpful or love right off.

What's love got to do with it?

Anyway I am sure they do an online course. Just go do that.

Here we go. Online instructors course.

Latest Discussions