Reaction score
I am interested in how familiar people are with this style of ju-jutsu from Finland? And what you think of it. It is practiced in Finland, Estonia, Norway, Russia, USA, Iran etc.

Here are some sample videos of the style:

On the second video there is a guy jumping and performing with a stick but that was only a show and has nothing to do with this style.

Hokutoryu also includes full contact competition. "Hokutoryu competition is a full contact fight. All tecniques from standing positions to ground tecniques are allowed. Only punches to the head are not allowed (because there are no gloves)." (Hokutoryu.com)

dunc

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What I like about the Gracie's approach to naming conventions is that they refer to their style as Gracie Jiu Jitsu because they learnt Jiu Jitsu (as it was called then) from a Japanese dude and made it their own
Hence making a clear distinction from the older schools in Japan

What I struggle with with Hokutoryu (and many of these western styles of jujutsu) is that they don't have a clear connection back to Japan, yet they choose to market themselves using Japanese names and suggesting that they are studying jujutsu developed by the samurai warriors. It looks to me that they are training a mash up of karate and judo (+ the odd wrist lock for good measure) which is fine, but I think it's a little disingenuous to suggest that what they are studying resembles the jujutsu of the samurai

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It looks interesting and effective. It seems to depend upon a limited set of techniques (at least in the videos shown) and good physical conditioning and range of motion. Lots of kicking and throwing.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've done a seminar or two when their guys come over for a big annual martial arts convention in Ottawa.