In Pursuit of Deep Battle: The Keysi Fighting Method

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It was a reminder that guard stances that address all possibilities are few and far between, if there are any at all. Prior to that I always kept my hands static except when striking or grappling. I know better now.
Even with supposed guards that protect against most angles, unless one wants to be purely defensive and weather blows, the moment you start your own attack, you are in turn opening yourself up to hits, that's just a fundamental and unavoidable part of things. Be it a kick or a punch, a takedown or a throw, the moment you go on the offensive, you are opening up vulnerabilities. The key is to make these "vulnerability windows" as small as possible and to submit much training and offerings to the God of Timing.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that, but yes it is rather on the pricey side. I was talking with Tez3 just last year regarding how I've been looking for lower-cost alternatives because my wallet didn't care much for KFM.

I myself have mixed feelings about the Pensador. I tried it again not too long ago at my new Sambo school, and I was punished with a terrific kick to my side. Still, it's a neat little hack great for catching typical punches. I suspect that's what it's for anyway - designed to counter roundhouse punches, "haymakers" and punches swinging for the hills.
I haven't seen much of KFM but it does seem to have a lot in common with Krav. The Pensador is similar to the Krav hemet or cerebellum blocking.

Here is something I came across ...
Technique Focus- The Keysi Pensador - The Self Defence Expert.com

OP
Shai Hulud

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I haven't seen much of KFM but it does seem to have a lot in common with Krav. The Pensador is similar to the Krav hemet or cerebellum blocking.

Here is something I came across ...
Technique Focus- The Keysi Pensador - The Self Defence Expert.com
The mistake Keysi may be making is a little too much reliance on the Pensador/Thinking Man. I suspect Krav Maga may be more complete and "battle-tested" than the KFM, but I could very well be wrong.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The mistake Keysi may be making is a little too much reliance on the Pensador/Thinking Man. I suspect Krav Maga may be more complete and "battle-tested" than the KFM, but I could very well be wrong.
In Krav, we are using a similar defence against punching to the head but not fighting from that position. By having the hands more like Muay Thai or boxing gives you the option of lifting an arm to defend the head or dropping an elbow to defend the ribs.

I can see the benefit of the Pensador if you are on the ground against multiple attackers where you can be kicked from behind, a scenario we employed last night. Next week I'll try the Pensador method and see how it works.

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
It almost looks like baji Liang Yi Ding except not really
Go to 9:40

OP
Shai Hulud

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It almost looks like baji Liang Yi Ding except not really
Go to 9:40

Use of a front kick to create distance to your advantage and then close it, followed up with close-range combatives (elbows) and a forward push into your opponent to occupy his previously held position and knock him back.

It's fascinating how culturally and philosophically diverse martial arts can be - yet at their core they all hold certain principles and common basic concepts to be true.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wasn't impressed with what I watched. I was able to watch the first couple of belt levels from their program.

It seemed like they took a couple of good concepts and then put their own "flair/style" to it to make it their own and label it.

If I was going to go that route, I would invest my time and energy learning "Crazy Monkey Defense" from Rodney King. It seems that many of their ideas were already there before they started their thing.

As others have said, it seems to put an emphasis on "streetfighting" and headhunter type attacks. From what I saw in the early levels, it did not address attacks from a skilled attacker. Don't know how deep they go with their ideas to address other types of attacks.

OP
Shai Hulud

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don't know how deep they go with their ideas to address other types of attacks.
Not very. Most of the curriculum is designed to address attacks you generically find in street fights used by brawlers and thugs, not trained martial artists.

Latest Discussions