Did you kick anything in your Shotokan or Goju Ryu kick training?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's a really interesting thought KFW :)

I've wondered this, how much to expect of a school, how much of that is really important to work on in person at a school, and what can you really just work on at home (as a refining/practice exercise).

Not every school is going to be perfect and have everything you want to do, so I wonder to what degree we can fine tune certain things at home. I'd say the more vital core components of a system should be in the classes of course... but those supplemental exercises...

Bag/padwork is really good to get feedback on though, but it's also something you can simply work with at home to get the feel of impact.. hmmm!

A kicking shield needs a holder though, so you need at the very least a partner at home.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In Kyokushin (Goju/Shotokan mix and more) we kicked pleeeenty of things :)

In Shotokan that I trained in at the end of last year, we kicked the heavy bag, and pads.

I'd say it depends on the club, even if you'd expect it to be a given that you'd surely kick something.

Where did you take your Shotokan lessons? Heavy bag work has not been used by any club I know of here in Sweden. No heavy bag work in the Taekwondo schools over here either.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where did you take your Shotokan lessons? Heavy bag work has not been used by any club I know of here in Sweden. No heavy bag work in the Taekwondo schools over here either.

I'm in Aus, the club was a mix as they had sport fighters and that style of training, but trained pretty extensively in a bunch of different aspects, not solely focusing on one

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm talking hanging bag.

Yeah but where? Having a heavy bag hanging around in a little apartment is not practical for several reasons. Not the least of which space but it can also be bad news for the apartment.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep grasping at straws...you’ve been proven wrong by multiple people yet again...just give it up

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm in Aus, the club was a mix as they had sport fighters and that style of training, but trained pretty extensively in a bunch of different aspects, not solely focusing on one

What do you mean a mix? It was not a pure Shotokan school?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah but where? Having a heavy bag hanging around in a little apartment is not practical for several reasons. Not the least of which space but it can also be bad news for the apartment.
Sure. I'm just speaking generally. About what to expect from a school, and what components can be worked on and trained at home.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you mean a mix? It was not a pure Shotokan school?
No I mean in terms of their focus. Some Shotokan schools are very focused on point fighting and tournaments, others on strict kata training and technique etc etc. This one was pure Shotokan, but looked at and trained most aspects pretty evenly. Just from my short time there that is.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No I mean in terms of their focus. Some Shotokan schools are very focused on point fighting and tournaments, others on strict kata training and technique etc etc. This one was pure Shotokan, but looked at and trained most aspects pretty evenly. Just from my short time there that is.

But why would they need heavy bag work in preperation for "skin touch" point fighting?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
But why would they need heavy bag work in preperation for "skin touch" point fighting?

No this school was medium contact in general class sparring and gradings. But they also trained for the point sparring circuits too.

Also heavy bag training is good impact training :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you tried hitting the heavy bag with those karate gloves? It's not fun
Ah not the WKF style ones, but have bare knuckle, with the softer mitts and MMA style gloves. Don't know how those would go!

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
People are ignorant. Take a guess why it's bad long-term for the knees kicking a hard, heavy bag. This isn't rocket science.
If I am training to kick a guy my size... in the ring, they match you up by weight... then I need to be conditioned to kick a 200 pound person. If kicking a 40, 50, 60 or 70 pound heavy bag is going to do me damage... kicking a 200 pound person would be even worse for me. I feel, that if I want to kick a 200 pound person, with lots of pointy boney parts... a good way to work up to that is by kicking a heavy bag that is less than half the weight of a person. At least the heavy bag doesn't have pointy boney parts sticking out of it...

If you are hurting your knees kicking a heavy bag... maybe get some instruction and training first? If you are hurting your knees, kicking a heavy bag, you are, by definition, doing it wrong.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If I am training to kick a guy my size... in the ring, they match you up by weight... then I need to be conditioned to kick a 200 pound person. If kicking a 40, 50, 60 or 70 pound heavy bag is going to do me damage... kicking a 200 pound person would be even worse for me. I feel, that if I want to kick a 200 pound person, with lots of pointy boney parts... a good way to work up to that is by kicking a heavy bag that is less than half the weight of a person. At least the heavy bag doesn't have pointy boney parts sticking out of it...

If you are hurting your knees kicking a heavy bag... maybe get some instruction and training first? If you are hurting your knees, kicking a heavy bag, you are, by definition, doing it wrong.

Whether you need to do it for fighting is a seperate discussion

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

My heavy bag has bony parts sticking out of it.

But that’s because I hid the bodies there.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As Ive said, my knees are fine. Do you have reason to believe I am lying? Do you know my knees better than I do?

Maybe it’s just your knees that can’t take it. I dunno.

I already adressed that but you clearly are struggling with the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions