Did Man make God?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or its illegal for me to take my son fishing without a license. Not a sin but a crime

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Agree with what? I believe there is a God. I agree some don't and that's their right
Do you agree that a Christian god is not the only reasonable explanation for morality, creation or good/evil? You gave a kind of non answer.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now that I think of it when the question asks man made god if it means man made god physically or if it means man made god through belief in god and faith

i'm not sure if man made god the first thing I would think is how? And if man made god does that mean he is man too? Or when did man made god...

Whether man did or didn't make god its possible if God truly can do the impossible and this is something

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you agree that a Christian god is not the only reasonable explanation for morality, creation or good/evil? You gave a kind of non answer.

No I don't agree. I believe it's the only reasonable answer but there are other possibilities or beliefs I just don't find them reasonable. Chance+time+matter while possible it's not very reasonable to me however anything is possible I guess

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You might be on to something with this one, but in general laws are based off of sin. :)

There are 1000s of laws not nearly as many sins. Now the main ones are similar but society until modern times was based heavily on religion

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Religion is different then God. Religion is man made.
Cool! So now we can get rid of all the trimmings because all the texts and religious books are man made.

That brings us back to God herself. Now I'm not sure how her message is going to get through to the billions of people who are not Christian if it's not through religion which we have just demonstrated is not always the true story.
:hmm:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cool! So now we can get rid of all the trimmings because all the texts and religious books are man made.

That brings us back to God herself. Now I'm not sure how her message is going to get through to the billions of people who are not Christian if it's not through religion which we have just demonstrated is not always the true story.
:hmm:

The books written by the people that were there are true.

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
???Really???? What?
Sorry but marriage is a legality. Just who is saying that premarital sex is a sin?

The books written by the people that were there are true.
And we have whose word for that? The people who are within a particular religion? By that definition the Koran would be more likely to be accurate than the Bible because it was written more recently. Scientology even better because even I was around when Mr Hubbard made that one up.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just who is saying that premarital sex is a sin?
God
And we have whose word for that? The people who are within a particular religion? By that definition the Koran would be more likely to be accurate than the Bible because it was written more recently. Scientology even better because even I was around when Mr Hubbard made that one up.
We have the Authors word for it. Peter says he saw what he saw. Paul the same ect, ect,ect Do you have evidence to the contrary to say they lied?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No I don't agree. I believe it's the only reasonable answer but there are other possibilities or beliefs I just don't find them reasonable. Chance+time+matter while possible it's not very reasonable to me however anything is possible I guess
You can acknowledge that something is reasonable without saying you believe it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you ever really read genesis? Pretty obviously written by at least the or four different people over a lot of time.

Ive read it all. As I said I believe the eyewitness accounts written by the people that say they were there.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can acknowledge that something is reasonable without saying you believe it.

True but to me time+matter+chance its reasonable. Its the Chance part mostly I have issue with

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
God

We have the Authors word for it. Peter says he saw what he saw. Paul the same ect, ect,ect Do you have evidence to the contrary to say they lied?
Pretty hard to argue with God. If she was around I could ask her directly but nobody I know has actually been granted an audience.

As to books and the truth. I don't have an issue with Peter claiming what he saw was real. You have no evidence to say his account is true and I have no evidence to say it's not, and at no time did I read any posts suggesting anyone lied. I got howled down years ago for suggesting that perception is reality. I stick by my original position. For Peter what he saw or what he thought he saw is his reality. If it is also your reality, great. Go for it. Just because others disagree with your reality doesn't make them wrong.

But really, you have hijacked the thread. It was nothing about the existance of God or otherwise. It is about the involvement of the brain and changes in the brain where religion is involved.

“It seems that the brain is built in such a way that allows us as human beings to have transcendent experiences extremely easily, furthering our belief in a greater power,” Newberg says. This would explain why some type of religion exists in every culture, arguably making spirituality one of the defining characteristics of our species.

Depending on your religious views, such discoveries are either deeply fascinating or profoundly disturbing. Throughout history, spirituality has been viewed as something outside science, just as the soul is separate from the body; both ineffable essences, transcending the materialist universe.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't hijack anything. It has everything to do with the existence of God. Your position was we made him up in out minds and he's not real. Mine is not

Latest Discussions