Did Man make God?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
The point of our existence isn't the point. Family was the point, until very recently. :)

Family too does potentially much better without man-made gods.

Just because Santa Clause is fiction, does not mean children don't behave because of him. Think of all the things you don't believe about the concept of God as the glue that holds together everything you know. :)

Nah, I behave because otherwise Thor will smite me with lightning.

Jokes aside perhaps imaginary superbeings and fear of their punishment did us a service in the iron age keeping tribal communities sort of unified.. but such delusions are overdue to be put away unless proven to be true. As rational beings we are fit to take responsibility for our own actions.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Jokes aside perhaps imaginary superbeings and fear of their punishment did us a service in the iron age keeping tribal communities sort of unified.. but such delusions are overdue to be put away unless proven to be true. As rational beings we are fit to take responsibility for our own actions.
Are you able to have a grown up conversation about faith without resorting to put downs ans snide remarks?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with man made Gods however with the real God families prosper

If such a being exist maybe, there seem to be a lot of the one true god or one true group of gods running around.

However there is no evidence for the existence of gods, nor does our understanding of the universe need or require one.
Also there is a lot of historical evidence showing how religion evolves and certain gods are made up from aspects of earlier beliefs. For instance Thor and Zeus are related. Isis and Mother Mary too. It is truly facinating if you spend some time studying it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

To bad you cannot provide any examples of a society that was successful without God. What proof do you have that is could be or would be better?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
To bad you cannot provide any examples of a society that was successful without God. What proof do you have that is could be or would be better?

Look at history and there does not seem to matter what particular god(s) are worshiped so a supernatural influence does not seem likely.

As for succces with no god, my own country is not at all particularly devout (Norwegians ranked at the bottom for church attendance in europe in some survy) and we still do okay.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Look at history and there does not seem to matter what particular god(s) are worshiped so a supernatural influence does not seem likely.

As for succces with no god, my own country is not at all particularly devout (Norwegians ranked at the bottom for church attendance in europe in some survy) and we still do okay.
Your country was founded by God fearing people and would not exist if it weren't for them. Your current political climate is anecdotal at best. :) My Granddad came from Norway. I guess that makes me 3rd generation. :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If such a being exist maybe, there seem to be a lot of the one true god or one true group of gods running around.

However there is no evidence for the existence of gods, nor does our understanding of the universe need or require one.
Also there is a lot of historical evidence showing how religion evolves and certain gods are made up from aspects of earlier beliefs. For instance Thor and Zeus are related. Isis and Mother Mary too. It is truly facinating if you spend some time studying it.
No evidence to prove there is no God either so.......There is however plenty of evidence to suggest the presence of God.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will not tiptoe around you if that is what you are asking.
You dont need to tip toe but you can knock off the snide rude remarks. Im sure your capable of disagreeing with someone without calling them names

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

ToD may have a point. Religious people argue that it is precisely this fear of punishment that keeps people (that lack empathy) from doing harm to others. For them fear results in morality. It may be convoluted sense of morality that has led to many many atrocities over time, but a sort of morality nonetheless. Are we, human beings, in general rational and ready for this level of responsibility that you suggest we take?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ToD may have a point. Religious people argue that it is precisely this fear of punishment that keeps people (that lack empathy) from doing harm to others. For them fear results in morality. It may be convoluted sense of morality that has led to many many atrocities over time, but a sort of morality nonetheless. Are we, human beings, in general rational and ready for this level of responsibility that you suggest we take?
If there is no God and no judgement day they why should anyone behave? If you only live once then your just gone why not allow anything goes? I make my living off people that are not ready for the responsibility.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If there is no God and no judgement day they why should anyone behave? If you only live once then your just gone why not allow anything goes? I make my living off people that are not ready for the responsibility.
Is a Christian god the only possible source of morality?

Moral social behavior is a practical consideration. We are, at our core, herd animals. Aberrant social behavior is bad for the herd. So we have laws and we have religions.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That's the question I'm asking regarding those that lack empathy.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Moral social behavior is a practical consideration. We are, at our core, herd animals. Aberrant social behavior is bad for the herd. So we have laws and we have religions.
That is, in fact, why we became polytheistic as a people. Different locations had different rules. When cities came into existence, these people all met a decided that there God was obviously superior to the god of that guy over there, when out in the field or up in the mountains, you are dealing with one God. The answer to your question is no. It does not matter. :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No not at all. However if there is no good or evil we are just globs that by chance turned into people and there is nothing else out there then why have morals? Why not just do what you want in the end it doesnt matter anyway?
And people still run wild. If you REALLY believe in God you wont run wild if you play Christian or dont believe at all then your will.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is, in fact, why we became poly theistic as a people. Different locations had different rules. When cities came into existence, these people all met a decided that there God was obviously superior to the god of that guy over there, when out in the field or up in the mountains, you are dealing with one God. The answer to your question is no. It does not matter. :)
I also think there is a difference between religion and God. I believe there is a God people just call him different names and worship him differently. The differences are religions which are man made. God is and always was God.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also think there is a difference between religion and God. I believe there is a God people just call him different names and worship him differently. The differences are religions which are man made. God is and always was God.
I like what the Kurds did. They decided that Satan was their Guardian Angel, and worship him instead .LOL It isn't working to well for them at the present time. Nobody but nobody is helping them create a Kurdistsan. :)
Sean

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No not at all. However if there is no good or evil we are just globs that by chance turned into people and there is nothing else out there then why have morals? Why not just do what you want in the end it doesnt matter anyway?

And people still run wild. If you REALLY believe in God you wont run wild if you play Christian or dont believe at all then your will.

You suggested in another thread that you were once agnostic (perhaps atheist?). I'm not sure I can even begin to imagine all the terrible things you did before you got the fear of God in you. This combined with all the high level police and detective work you've done around the country on various very important cases might make for quite an interesting memoir to read some day.

Latest Discussions