Did I pass up something good? Or was it a charlatan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So what is the story ironhead? Do you want to compete? In which case random sparring with Barry from the pub won't really help. And you need to find a legitimate outlet.

Or not compete In which case you still should still not be getting into these situations.

You won't get rich from these fights. Anyone who suggests that is lying. You just get a way of punching dudes in the face that is morally accepted.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
So what is the story ironhead? Do you want to compete? In which case random sparring with Barry from the pub won't really help. And you need to find a legitimate outlet.

Or not compete In which case you still should still not be getting into these situations.

You won't get rich from these fights. Anyone who suggests that is lying. You just get a way of punching dudes in the face that is morally accepted.

I made a couple of new friends that are willing to spar. We do it at my place so there is no risk of anything stupid happening like there would be in public. The three of us know eachother well so we are comfortable enough that it's a safe experience.

I do want to compete and will compete, as for when I am not sure. My sifu says I am not ready for it yet, so whenever he says I am ready is when I will start.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I made a couple of new friends that are willing to spar. We do it at my place so there is no risk of anything stupid happening like there would be in public. The three of us know eachother well so we are comfortable enough that it's a safe experience.

I do want to compete and will compete, as for when I am not sure. My sifu says I am not ready for it yet, so whenever he says I am ready is when I will start.
Hmmm this is oddly similar to the advice I gave you a month or so ago...

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm this is oddly similar to the advice I gave you a month or so ago...

I don't remember that, but I wouldn't deny you did it either. I don't think you've ever given me bad advice. Thanks for that good advice.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Good on you man but you've still got to be careful make sure your guys wear proper gear and you don't spar at 100% because if someone gets hurt you've got no first aid like you'd have in class and make sure it's a good environment like sparring in your kitchens not a good idea lol or on concrete

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't remember that, but I wouldn't deny you did it either. I don't think you've ever given me bad advice. Thanks for that good advice.
I remember just because you referred to it as a fight club, which I found funny.
And you're welcome, although I can't say for certain all my advice has been good...I hope it is, but you never know.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good on you man but you've still got to be careful make sure your guys wear proper gear and you don't spar at 100% because if someone gets hurt you've got no first aid like you'd have in class and make sure it's a good environment like sparring in your kitchens not a good idea lol or on concrete

We have some ufc gloves and no headgear or mouth piece. So we are doing kyokyushin rules which are no hits to the head, it's on dirt ground so no grappling either, I don't feel comfortable grappling if there is no mat.

And yeah no 100% sparring. I want to spar a lot and that would not be ideal if either one of us are too hurt to continue.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have some ufc gloves and no headgear or mouth piece. So we are doing kyokyushin rules which are no hits to the head, it's on dirt ground so no grappling either, I don't feel comfortable grappling if there is no mat.

And yeah no 100% sparring. I want to spar a lot and that would not be ideal if either one of us are too hurt to continue.
Provably best to at least get a mouth piece even in non contact tournaments you have to wear a mouth piece just in case I mean yeah sure your not going for the head but accidents happen and it's not worth losing your teeth over

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Provably best to at least get a mouth piece even in non contact tournaments you have to wear a mouth piece just in case I mean yeah sure your not going for the head but accidents happen and it's not worth losing your teeth over

I'll get one eventually but right now I have like 3 dollars in the bank.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You need groin guards and gum shields. Not necessarily because you can get hurt but because it's better to accustom yourself to wearing them for when you do compete. Wear them when just hitting a bag, any time you are moving around, people don't think of them until they compete and then they can distract you just when you don't need distractions.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
You need groin guards and gum shields. Not necessarily because you can get hurt but because it's better to accustom yourself to wearing them for when you do compete. Wear them when just hitting a bag, any time you are moving around, people don't think of them until they compete and then they can distract you just when you don't need distractions.

Ok, I'll get some. I got a cup that I wear to every trip to the dojo. My friends don't have one though so I watch out for that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll get some. I got a cup that I wear to every trip to the dojo. My friends don't have one though so I watch out for that.

Ah let them worry about not wearing anything lol. Their problem. :D

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah let them worry about not wearing anything lol. Their problem. :D

The one I got was pretty pricey but I am more than willingly to pay more for better protection against death or at least, near death experiences.

I saw one at a yard sale once I couldn't help but gag lol.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our fighters like the metal groin guards from Thailand which you tie into place except for one lad who was wearing his when he got an upset stomach and had to run to the loo, he was heard frantically shouting as he couldn't get the strings he'd tied into many knots undone.......... Those groin guards wash up quite well. :arghh:

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our fighters like the metal groin guards from Thailand which you tie into place except for one lad who was wearing his when he got an upset stomach and had to run to the loo, he was heard frantically shouting as he couldn't get the strings he'd tied into many knots undone.......... Those groin guards wash up quite well. :arghh:

Mine are pretty much in the shape of boxer briefs and you slide the cup in a pocket in he front. I like it because they are comfortable and don't pinch or anything. Wow, that sounds like he had a bad day, I had a similar experience in little league, I called a timeout because I was third baseman and had to go very badly. Lucky for me nothing got dirty because I made it in time though.

Was pretty embarrassing walking back to third while everyone was clapping lol.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Fair enough.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Groin guard story. When a fighter puts his gloves on,they get taped up and signed so he can't take them off and put horse shoes in them or something.

So if his groin guard isn't in then we have to put it in for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.