Did I pass up something good? Or was it a charlatan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So… you're able to ascertain the OP's intent, as well as what you feel happened, based on your overly naive reading of the thread and some misplaced sense of false empathy, but when we take into account all of the his posting across the entire board, noting the patterns of behaviour, citing repeated actions, and observing how the various stories are presented, we aren't?

Hmm… honestly, I might suggest that you take a step back, and recognise where our responses are coming from. After all, there's a reason he's getting the same answer from so many…

The OP asked whether the guy who approached him was genuine or fake, nothing more. You are assuming that just because the OP has exhibited certain behaviour previously that he is doing the same now, and not learned from his mistakes of the past. I can tell from the way he posted in this thread that he has learned from his mistakes of the past and changed his ways. When the first negative comments came in, accusing him of lieing or once again getting into an avoidable fight, he shrugged it off. Compare that to his previous posts where he turned very defensive very quickly when criticized for his behaviour and the difference is obvious. Quite frankly I feel that Ironbear has behaved far better in this thread than either you or Dirty Dog, who have done nothing but accuse him based on events of the past.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. Ironbear got the answer he was looking for, and if I were him I would block both you and Dirty Dog and get on with his life. This thread is finished with as far as I'm concerned. Good day.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please don't make this another storm of people arguing whether or not or why they believe I am an idiot. If you want to think I'm an idiot or a liar or a whatever, go ahead and feel how you will.

There is however no reason to make this thread (which already served its purpose) to be escalated into 20 pages of nonsense.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Please don't make this another storm of people arguing whether or not or why they believe I am an idiot. If you want to think I'm an idiot or a liar or a whatever, go ahead and feel how you will.

There is however no reason to make this thread (which already served its purpose) to be escalated into 20 pages of nonsense.
Okay I've got a question why couldn't you just say a fight promoter approached me and said he thought I was good and would promote me but I had to pay 800 was that legit? Why did you have to tell a big long story

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay I've got a question why couldn't you just say a fight promoter approached me and said he thought I was good and would promote me but I had to pay 800 was that legit? Why did you have to tell a big long story

Because that's not all that happened.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The OP asked whether the guy who approached him was genuine or fake, nothing more.

While that's all he asked, it's hardly all he said… after, in his own words:
(Because) that's not all that happened.

I mean, the OP itself is quite a read… filled with examples of him being complimented for his technique and performance, examples of why he was in the right (he wasn't), an account of his dominant performance (combined with a comment seemingly designed to show how he's working on his control… hmm), and so on… before we get to the question of whether or not it sounded genuine (and, frankly, if he was close to the "educated" he feels he is, such a question would be completely unnecessary…).

But… nothing more? Care to try again?

You are assuming that just because the OP has exhibited certain behaviour previously that he is doing the same now, and not learned from his mistakes of the past.

You think I'm making assumptions? Seriously?

Look, I get that you're new here… and you're, honestly, fairly young yourself. But the fact of the matter is that I'm making observations based on understanding behaviour, it's structure, it's underlying basis', and far, far more. My comments are purely a response to the way that "Ironbear" presents himself, his behaviour, his thought patterns, and more. And, believe me, there is no indication of learning anything.

I can tell from the way he posted in this thread that he has learned from his mistakes of the past and changed his ways. When the first negative comments came in, accusing him of lieing or once again getting into an avoidable fight, he shrugged it off.

That's not a change from his posting behaviour, though. He's been shrugging off comments for a while… which is, in and of itself, a problem, as it shows that he's not actually taking anything on board (and yes, he's been informed of that previously as well).

The fact that he's continuing to exhibit the same behaviour (online and off) is obvious… the fact that he's "shrugging it off" shows that he's not taking responsibility for any part of it either.

Compare that to his previous posts where he turned very defensive very quickly when criticized for his behaviour and the difference is obvious.

Find me some examples. Going back to the "Fight to Gain Respect" thread, and it's exactly the same…

Quite frankly I feel that Ironbear has behaved far better in this thread than either you or Dirty Dog, who have done nothing but accuse him based on events of the past.

You do get how behaviour works, yeah? I mean, you do understand that people don't just have clean slates with each new sentence, right? After all, Charlie Manson didn't kill anyone today, so why don't we let him out of prison… after all, why would we judge him on past actions?

Look, when this kid actually shows some growth and acceptance of responsibility, I'll be one of the first to back him… but so far, he seems unable to even come to terms with anything he's done, or see it as genuinely bad. So no, he doesn't get a free pass, and yes, we will use his past as a baseline to apply to his current behaviour. You have an issue with that? Honestly, tough. It's how things work.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. Ironbear got the answer he was looking for, and if I were him I would block both you and Dirty Dog and get on with his life. This thread is finished with as far as I'm concerned. Good day.

Aren't you precious…

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Thanks for your permission, but it's really not needed. You've pretty much secured how people will see you based upon your questions and responses. Please notice that I said your questions and responses. This means that you are entirely responsible for how others see and react to you. This is a truth that you need to think about in my opinion.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your permission, but it's really not needed. You've pretty much secured how people will see you based upon your questions and responses. Please notice that I said your questions and responses. This means that you are entirely responsible for how others see and react to you. This is a truth that you need to think about in my opinion.
Yeah that's my point if this was his first story or if anyone else posted this I'd have no problems believing it but since it's the same pattern every time then I start to have doubts

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah that's my point if this was his first story or if anyone else posted this I'd have no problems believing it but since it's the same pattern every time then I start to have doubts

That's fine. The point I'm making is we all have already stated "ironbear is this and that" and I already have had my questions answered; therefore there is no need to prolong this thread by repeating oneself.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's fine. The point I'm making is we all have already stated "ironbear is this and that" and I already have had my questions answered; therefore there is no need to prolong this thread by repeating oneself.
If we want to keep discussing it then we can

SenseiHitman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Some day their con will backfire and they will get what they have coming I dont know how karma works but I know it works.
Hate to be that guy but I thought your sifu told you not to get into stupid sparring matches with idiots in the gym. You said you couldn't walk away well what would those guys have done to you in a public area. Also by agreeing to fighting an unknown person that's very risky in itself because as you've stated in your own fights you gave consent to it happening or it could easily have been a set up to get you in trouble since you've probably got a bit of a rep of fighting idiots in gyms.

But honestly this story is a bit fishy to me. You seem to get into a lot of these situations that you seem to have to post here. Just saying
Hey, Ironbear24 is a young man so yeah I suspect he gets himself in as much trouble as trouble finds him. When I was a teenage karate expert I found some trouble for myself from time to time as well so please understand I'm not bashing him. A young karate man has to deal with all that piss and vinegar flowing in his blood on top of being physically fit, he needs to compete full contact to burn the energy wisely (my opinion).....

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was a teenage karate expert I found some trouble for myself from time to time
When I was a teenage karate expert I usually did not find trouble as I did not go looking for it. The exception would be if some other guy took my girlfriend.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If this was his first story, it'd still be full of holes… but, to your point, he would not have received some of the response he has gotten. Thing is, the reason is that this is not his first story… and the pattern of previous stories, continuing in this one, is more than enough to build an impression, likely a fairly accurate one, and one that we can use to apply to this new story. You do understand that that's how people work, yeah? I mean… would you suggest that police ignore prior crimes and offences when detaining someone? Or judges in giving sentences? Patterns of behaviour tell us something… ignoring that because you want to be nice and be all PC doesn't actually do anyone any favours… it enables and supports the behaviour in the person, and leaves everyone else getting frustrated. If you're not a fan of this, I suggest you take a good look around the world, and… hmm, that was going to have a Bill Hicks finish, but it's not exactly appropriate for here, so I'll just say… wake up.

Hey, Ironbear24 is a young man so yeah I suspect he gets himself in as much trouble as trouble finds him. When I was a teenage karate expert I found some trouble for myself from time to time as well so please understand I'm not bashing him. A young karate man has to deal with all that piss and vinegar flowing in his blood on top of being physically fit, he needs to compete full contact to burn the energy wisely (my opinion).....

He's not that young… 27… nearing 30. Old enough to have learnt a fair bit by now, and certainly beyond being a "teenage" anything…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions