Did a little training with Tony Dismukes

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score
2. The issue of not dealing with the lead hand.
If you don't

- deal with your opponent's leading arm,
However after dealing with the lead arm, you can still get knocked down as I tried to show above. There's more fighting principles (e.g., CMA) than that (e.g., lure, listen, control, dissolve, attack, adhere, stick, join and follow).
- change your punch into a grab/pull,

you will never be able to integrate striking art and wrestling art together.

Your truism is false. "Change your punch into a grab/pull" is not necessary to throw.

At Alex Volkanovski vs Korean Zombie, Alex (UFC Featherweight Champion) drills and executes:

1. Starting from outside fighting range, Alex steps right leading Zombie (in orthodox stance) to step left
2. Alex raises lead hand
3. listens for Zombie to shift his weight to the back foot (double weight)
4. Alex controls Zombie's rear arm and center with his lead hand
5. then hop steps and issues left front cut/osoto gari:

FUjgpVR.gif

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
However after dealing with the lead arm, you can still get knocked down as I tried to show above.
If you deal with the lead hand correctly then you greatly reduce that chance. If I pin your lead hand across in the path of your cross then I have structurally made it extremely difficult fir you to effectively use the cross.

If I pull your lead hand down and move to your outside then your natural reaction isn't to pinch. Your natural reaction is to defend the big opening to your face.

If I move your lead hand and close the distance where I can put you in a head lock then your cross will be void.

If Incorrectly deal with your lead hand, then yes I can still get knocked out. When I say "deal with the lead hand / arm" the assumption should be that it's bringing address correctly.

If you are talking about the videos that I was commenting on then I highlighted how the lead had wasn't dealt with. If it was "dealt with" then they wouldn't have been knocked out.

Touching my lead hand does not qualify as "dealing with" with my lead hand. Controlling my lead = Dealing with my lead hand

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
However after dealing with the lead arm, you can still get knocked down as I tried to show above. There's more fighting principles (e.g., CMA) than that (e.g., lure, listen, control, dissolve, attack, adhere, stick, join and follow).

Your truism is false. "Change your punch into a grab/pull" is not necessary to throw.

At Alex Volkanovski vs Korean Zombie, Alex (UFC Featherweight Champion) drills and executes:

1. Starting from outside fighting range, Alex steps right leading Zombie (in orthodox stance) to step left
2. Alex raises lead hand
3. listens for Zombie to shift his weight to the back foot (double weight)
4. Alex controls Zombie's rear arm and center with his lead hand
5. then hop steps and issues left front cut/osoto gari:

FUjgpVR.gif
He also deals with the lead arm by using his body to pin it. Pinning the lead arm. It can no longer be used to create or keep distance. It has been made unless. We can also see that he's moving to the outside of the lead arm and closing the gap which which would make it awkward to punch him.

There is quite a bit hoping on that has the function of stopping punch from coming

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Playing with the lead arm is a game. They can do stuff. You can do stuff. Either guy can be caught out
Only if you make it a game. Just like front kicks are to create distance. If I use a front kick then Zim trying to break ribs and not create distance. If I'm dealing with the lead arm then it's not about a game. I'm known to attack lead arms with kicks and strikes. I'll either try to damage the lead arm or zill try to move it.

Either way, I don't give free parking to lead arms. Especially to those who want to use it as a range finder.

Some of you may have seen me in videos where I'm kicking the hands of my sparring partner. I spar with street shoes on so my perspective is going to be different than someone who doesnt spar/kick with shoes on.

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score
Playing with the lead arm is a game. They can do stuff. You can do stuff. Either guy can be caught out
Agree. You can say "pull their lead hand down, not just parry it." However, the opponent can just move as Sean did. You chase my arm, I punch your face.

When he moves in like this he is taking the risk. His opponent's free leading hand can punch him. IMO, he doesn't have to take that risk.

How hard can that be if he just guides his opponent's leading arm to jam his opponent's own back arm when he moves in?
Wait, I did not mean to hit the like button.

Volkanovski used lateral movement to control Zombie's back arm from a distance, pinned his arms and took him down. Can you post a sparring or fight video where someone does what you're describing?

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can you post a sparring or fight where someone does what you're describing?
I don't have fighting clip. I only have training clip.

Dealing with your opponent's leading arm is like to knock on the door. When the door is open, you enter. If the door is not open, you keep knocking.

Double hooks with the same arm is one of my favor entering strategies.

Last edited:

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have fighting clip. I only have training clip.

Dealing with your opponent's leading arm is like to knock on the door. When the door is open, you enter. If the door is not open, you keep knocking.

Double hooks with the same arm is one of my favor entering strategies.

No, where is the takedown?

You try to grab my leading arm, I punch your face. "They can do stuff."

Gung-l-I-circular-punch.gif

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a good example:

- A throw a left hook.
- B rotates his right arm the same way and right hook back.

If A can reverse his hook punch, A's left arm can meet B's right arm. A can then arm wrap B's hook punching arm and obtains a clinch.

In other words, if you don't train "hook punch, arm wrap (with the same arm)" combo (the missing link between the striking art and the wrestling art), when the opportunity arrives, you may miss it.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is what I'm trying to say. In MMA, the true integration of striking and wrestling has not fully achieved yet.

- Striker who has good leading arm game may not have good wrestling skill.
- Wrestler who has good wrestling skill may not have good leading arm game.

Last edited:

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a good example:

- A throw a left hook...

Your opponent can jam your back arm before you punch him.
No, A is trying to grab B's leading arm and throw a right hook. It's a good example of you chase my leading arm, I punch your face.

This is what I'm trying to say. In MMA, the true integration of striking and wrestling has not fully achieved yet.
No, it has. MMA trains kicking, striking, wrestling and locking. There are many champion wrestlers, high-level BJJ, judoka, sanda and sambo fighters in MMA that already "integrate striking and wrestling." I posted a video of takedowns, throws and slams in MMA that you commented on.

Can you please take the example of Volkanovski's front cut/osoto gari and explain how the techniques you mentioned works better?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When he moves in like this he is taking the risk. His opponent's free leading hand can punch him. IMO, he doesn't have to take that risk.

How hard can that be if he just guides his opponent's leading arm to jam his opponent's own back arm when he moves in?
I don’t think it’s a matter of “how hard can it be” - there are multiple functional strategies. He chose one that worked well for him, set it up, and executed it well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only if you make it a game. Just like front kicks are to create distance. If I use a front kick then Zim trying to break ribs and not create distance. If I'm dealing with the lead arm then it's not about a game. I'm known to attack lead arms with kicks and strikes. I'll either try to damage the lead arm or zill try to move it.

Either way, I don't give free parking to lead arms. Especially to those who want to use it as a range finder.

Some of you may have seen me in videos where I'm kicking the hands of my sparring partner. I spar with street shoes on so my perspective is going to be different than someone who doesnt spar/kick with shoes on.
So whoever sticks their hand out gets a guaranteed reaction.

Got it.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You try to grab my leading arm, I punch your face. "They can do stuff."

Gung-l-I-circular-punch.gif
Example of not properly dealing with the lead arm. Hand and elbow are above as he reaches for the lead hand. If you reach for the lead hand like that then your elbow should point downwards.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So whoever sticks their hand out gets a guaranteed reaction.

Got it.
Yep pretty much what a fight is right? Unless you can win a physi6 fight without a guaranteed reaction.

Latest Discussions