Definition of " A True Martial Artist"?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have heard this saying alot from a variety of people.
"I am a true martial artist".
Have you heard this before?
What does that mean to you?
Do you say it to people?
Is it overused?

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to go with the following:

A True martial artist is one that doesn't need to display his knowledge for others to see. You will never know that he/she is special or has any kind of knowledge that the person next to them doesn't know. The true martial artist blends in and is in complete control of their own mind and body.

I would personally like to meet a true martial artist...As I have a hell of a long way to go.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
A True martial artist is one that doesn't need to display his knowledge for others to see. You will never know that he/she is special or has any kind of knowledge that the person next to them doesn't know. The true martial artist blends in and is in complete control of their own mind and body.

Well... by that I take it anyone proclaiming to be a tru martial artists is, under this, not?

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Well... by that I take it anyone proclaiming to be a tru martial artists is, under this, not?
Flawless logic AG! A true martial artist would never admit to being anything of the sort. Sweet.

Respects!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me a true Martial artist is one that has devoted most of tere life to there particular art and has enough wisdom not to be a smart *** about it.
Terry

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
I'm gonna have to go with the following:

I would personally like to meet a true martial artist...As I have a hell of a long way to go.

Ive got to agree with this guy, a true MA is in complete control of his/her mind and body. I have actaully met a guy at my school who claims to be a "true martial artist"....What an ***, he has never even went to a MA lesson in his life.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IMHO, anytime anyone uses the word "True" as an adjective like this, it is usually followed by some kind of BS. No offense to anyone here... it's an honest question, just a pet-peeve of mine.

MardiGras Bandit

Green Belt
Reaction score
Creepy, I was about to start a very similar thread...

I see a true martial artist as someone who is dedicated to their training for the long term, and can use it effectivley in a fight. Martial arts are about combat, and being able to fight is more important to my definition of a martial artist then there humility, respect, or other moral values.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
MardiGras Bandit said:
Creepy, I was about to start a very similar thread...

I see a true martial artist as someone who is dedicated to their training for the long term, and can use it effectivley in a fight. Martial arts are about combat, and being able to fight is more important to my definition of a martial artist then there humility, respect, or other moral values.
I'd agree that being able to fight is key to being a true martial artist. Take the fight out of it and we take the martial out of the art. At the same time, I think the other traits you mention are important in discerning a true martial artist from the lower form imHo and that's simply a true fighter. They may be a great fighter but personally I wouldn't equate that single dimension [no matter how important] with true martial artistry.

For me, it's all in the combination of all the usual parts: fighting, thinking, humility, respect, integrity etc.

Respects!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A "true" martial artist is 2 de4dly to spar, he trains to kill, not for sport. He understands that the human body is easy to destroy, if you know the secret points to hit. He is the ultimate warrior, at peace with the world, and ready to go dim mak on anyone that messes with him, but never will as that would be an abuse of his power. The tru martial artist understands that becoming a warrior is in the mind, not the body. Meditation is much more important then sweating.

That is a "True Martial Artist"... or at least what most who brag about being one are.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Humble, honest, truthful,wise,compassionate,loyal,dedicated,caring,helpful,spirited,gentle,,soft spoken, and the list goes on....a believer of what he is doing...for greater part of mankind.

...loves to train, always training,loves to teach and shares the knowledge and to bring out the best in others. ..and the list goes on...

Each of us will have his own opinions on this...these are some that feels right! .....

A true martial artist loves what he does 24/7 ..Humble....Aloha

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Pretty good description.....

beau_safken said:
Your own words. Can you think of no one that fits your description above? I can. You have his logo in your signature!

luigi_m_

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this has any correlation, but I skateboard, and if you turn up at a skatepark, you can see the psychological battles between groups. The skateboarders hate the bladers, the bladers hate the mini-scooterers, and everyone hates BMXer's. In this respect, I think that a "true" martial artsist ahould have appreciation for other artists and the style that they follow. For exmaple, I hear people slating Aikido, because they think it would be useless in a combat situation, but you have to remember that some people enjoy different martial arts for different reasons, and to my [poor] knowledge of Aikido, it has much correlation to the Chi side of it.

Also, I think the ability to defend themself and others would make a good martial artist, as this is the reason many train, for Self Defence, which I believe is also defence for others...