Should instructors award high ranking student-instructors?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
We had a KM convention this week, where all the instructors and students in our school get together and have a demo training session for family, friends and anyone else interested in watching (Pictures are here if you're interested, but everythings in Hebrew).

My instructor hosted this time, but another instructor, Head of the Professional Committee and 8th Dan, wanted to grant an award for "Practitioner of the Year" from his dojo. His choice was his highest ranking student, a 25 year-old 3rd dan who's been training since he was 12. He was either one of the best or "the" best instructor ever to teach Krav Maga in the military, actively instructs today and is a general all around bad-*** (pictures here, he's the Russian). He was once assaulted by seven adult men, and sent them all to the ER. He doesn't go much easier on you when sparring if you're a lower rank, so naturally, everyone's afraid of him. It's important to mention that this isn't the first time he's "deified" by his instructor.

My question is this: does he deserve it? Obviously he's the best student his instructor has, and he does contribute a lot to KM, but what about everyone else who do their best? You can keep praising the best, or award others who also sweat (and bleed) to max out their potential. Danny (that's his name) is one in a million. Few people reach these levels. But is it fair to constantly compare everyone to him?

When I was in bootcamp, we had treks, as is customary in every combat unit's bootcamp. I came out as the best on the first two treks, and was promoted to signalman, which means carrying the radio and never being more than a foot away from my commanding officer, a position that's considered an honor in bootcamp. This was to signify that my superiors recognized my abilities and promoted me, allowing for others to shine as well.

This analogy is meant to show that when someone consistently demonstrates he's the best, it's a better idea to promote him than to leave him in the same league and set him as an unreachable ideal.

After all that babbling, what do you think?

S

Spook

In short, I guess it depends what "Practitioner of the Year" award is defined as and what the purpose of it is for. You've said that he is the best student at KM that the Instructor has, so if the award is merely based on skill level then, yes, he should get it. If "Practitioner of the Year" on the other hand, is meant for the student who adds to the school the most with their quality guidance, humbleness and their ability to connect with students.... then no.

In fact i don't think there should be awards like that. You're right, it is just patting the highest rank guys on the back. I don't see a purpose for awards outside of rank tests. The true award for this guy should be going to class, connecting with other students and helping them become better KM practitioners.

"This analogy is meant to show that when someone consistently demonstrates he's the best, it's a better idea to promote him than to leave him in the same league and set him as an unreachable ideal."

A student should do the best that they can do and leave it at that. Don't worry if you have the next Bruce Lee in your class and your not as good as he is. Do the best you can. Anywhere you look there are "unreachable ideals" and a student needs to learn to not get hung up on them. In the same turn, it is pointless to keep on exalting the exalted in a class situation.

Thanks for the link to the photos page!

Well, thats my two cents and i hope i've hit the mark(I'm a little sleep deprived :))
Tom

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of tournaments ago, about eight months, the master gave out an award for "best student" more or less. I can't exactly remember what it was. It didn't exactly leave me too impressed. It was to a student who barely passed his black belt test. So he became an instructor in another town. He was doing it mostly for extra income. But his students in my opinion, have seldom been ready for testing and I hate it when we other black belts have to take the student in the back area and coach/train him real quick so he can pass. Usually its the forms or the self-defense or even how to correctly kick. But the now teacher does send alot of students to testing and is quite a money-maker. I even asked about why he was getting a discount on supplies when nothing was mentioned to me. I was told because he is a teacher for him. Oh! I had been for years, for nothing.

So when the master gives out this award, and talks about humility being his greatest strength, I let out a heavy sigh! Right! Takes one to know one, as they say. Pride knowing pride, if I wasn't clear. Oh, did I say this particular black belt teacher never goes to class any more since he got his 2nd degree and only went a few times but managed to test for 2nd anyway because the 2 year limit was up. But he has managed to pass forms when I leave the table each time. So all you have to do is send alot of money the master's way OR be a "good" Christian (another story) and you got your way paved at our school. Those that work at it, and are held to the letter of the requirement, notice though.

I still don't think though the master should pick out one student and say to everyone, be like him. I don't think he should get up in front of a crowd and say this is a better Christian, be like them either. I wouldn't of said to be like him, the master, either. TW

S

Satori

You seem like a very level headed, hard working martial artist, TigerWoman. Why do you put up with such blatant unethical lack in regards to standards?

TKD instructors are all over the place. I'm surprised you don't go "sabomnim shopping" and see if perhaps you could find a better match.

For the topic...no, I don't like the "Best Ego Stroke of the Year" award. If they pass all the tests perfectly, act like a role-model to the class, help out with the dojang, etc...then their rank and trophies should be enough.

I DO really like "Most Improved Student" award, since this often applies to students who "fall between the cracks".

May you achieve
Satori

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't have these awards for that very reasaon. The idea is to compete with yourself, not someone else. We can't all be one-in-a-million, but we can all try our best. To acknowledge anyone over another is counterproductive.

Regards,

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How about a most improved student for the year. We give out awards like this at our christmas party every year..... before you say anything, We all gotta party sometimes.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Life will never be fair....this is a given! Most Martial art schools run on alot(few may not) of politic's. The larger the system, seems to be more politic's. The leader's and eveyone is human.

Most martial art schools are a business first and money is why the school is still running.The bottem line and what is fair to you may not be same to who owns and runs the schools. Never forget this! It is a business!

A leader can do what he wants too.....and who they want to promote too. ....Aloha

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Simply being awarded the rank of instructor should be an award by itself, but to each its own. I see nothing wrong with it.

Latest Discussions