Defense against Pickpockets

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, we learn the martial arts to defend our bodies and the bodies of our loved ones... but there's other defenses that should be learned. This is one article I found http://travel.howstuffworks.com/pickpocket.htm that gives a nice overview of how pickpockets work. You won't even know they're there until your wallet is gone... and so are they.
Remember; the more you know...
What defenses do you use to protect your wallet/purse/valuables from being lifted surreptitiously?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A heavy wallet in a buttoned inside pocket has served me well so far - that and not allowing anyone within 'contact' range :D.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A heavy wallet in a buttoned inside pocket has served me well so far - that and not allowing anyone within 'contact' range :D.

Ah, but people bump into you -- oops excuse me -- all the time... can't always prevent that. 99% of the people out there aren't pickpockets. But yeah buttoning up the wallet inside a pocket is a good way to go.

Anyone else?

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok, saw an interview with a professional pick pocket ( retired ) long ago, and his advice worked for me... sew Velcro to your front pocket opening and seal it over your wallet.. ( same for suit jacket pocket if you carry it there. ) there is no silent or easy way to open the pocket now and so you will feel and hear the attempt to open the pocket. It worked for me in 2000 in John Wain airport in Burbank California .. I did not loose my wallet and the pickpocket was caught by me and apprehended by the airport security people.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't carry a wallet. I carry my cash and credit cards in a money clip deep in my front pocket. If someone wants to pick my pocket they have to stick their hand completely into my front pocket, so it had better be my wife .

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
i just dont have anything worth taking lol

but, if im going into a busy unkown place its not uncommon for me to move my wallet to my front pocket.
its also not uncommon for me to forget that ive done this and when i reach for my wallet or check to see that its there (still in my back pocket that is) i freak out a little bit until i remember that its in my FRONT pocket :erg::lol2:

I am aware of these things when i find myself in unknown areas or at events, and ive come to make it a habit to check for my wallet at any "bump" "excuse me" or whatever (usually by just brushing my hand across my pocket).

good thread Caver!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wear pants with buttoned pockets. Carry your wallet in a front pocket if in a crowd. I tend to maintain a pretty wide personal space and if somebody bumps into me I do a wallet check. I like the velcro idea, too.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Be careful of the "wallet check" too often. Pickpockets will often watch to see where men check for their wallets when they're nervous. (They may even get a partner to say something about pickpockets.)

As for the front pocket, it's harder to get at than back pockets, but there's still a "lift" that can be done. If your wearing loose, or dress pants, they can pull up the fabric inside your front pocket until its contents are reachable. They do this a little at a time, while behind you in a line, or on a subway or something. I would think it would be harder to get out a front-pocket wallet than a money clip, because the edges will catch.

Don't rely too much on believing you'll "feel" the attempt. Picking pockets is based on the theory that your brain can only focus on one physical sensation at a time. Try it -- close your eyes and cause some kind of mild pain on your leg or arm, then lightly brush another part of your body at the same time. The sensation is significantly diminished. And noise is only effective compared to the ambient background noise.

When in crowded areas, I often carry a "dummy wallet" in my back pocket, with a slim wallet in the front pocket. When traveling I use a money belt. I've heard the ones that hang around your neck work pretty well, too.

What about pickpockets and weapons? Do they go for weapons? Or do the weapons deter them?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If someone wants to pick my pocket they have to stick their hand completely into my front pocket, so it had better be my wife .

Not true. I have a DVD on how to pick pockets and there are techniques for lifting items from front pockets that dont involve reaching in, items can be bumped up in the pocket to make them accessable.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not true. I have a DVD on how to pick pockets and there are techniques for lifting items from front pockets that dont involve reaching in, items can be bumped up in the pocket to make them accessable.

Or a quick slit with a razor right in front of the side seam.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My father told me this and I saw it confirmed with Gallaudet University students who were out and about off campus... did you know that Deaf people are probably one of the hardest people to pickpocket? The loss of hearing makes their other senses more acute, with many deaf people it's their sense of touch. A couple of times I've seen pickpockets totally shocked that their mark felt them barely touching them whilst trying to lift the wallet out of their back pockets. Kinda funny, especially seeing the scuzzbag get an angry fist full in their snoot. :D
I recall also how this one guy who carried one of those wallets that was attached to a chain to his belt. Told me later that it turned out the pickpocket was skilled enough to lift the wallet, clean out the cash that was inside (some $200 bucks) and left the wallet dangling, when the "mark" began walking again he felt his wallet banging against his thigh and "HEY!! Aww damn!!" :lol: (don't mean to laugh but the memory... because the guy was being pretty cocky about it a couple days before it happened).
In-so-far seeing some great tips... what about you ladies? What's your preferred method?

Oh take note of the wording here... to the pickpockets you're known as a "mark" (same with scam artists), no longer a person. Makes it easier on their conscience. ... if they actually had any.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, but people bump into you -- oops excuse me -- all the time... can't always prevent that.

Quite true, mate. I have to admit that I am guilty of the surrepticious 'check' if I've been bumped by someone in a crowd.

However, the big clue I would have to any pick-pocketing action is that I have a large and heavy wallet (not full of money I hasten to add, just lots of low value change, business cards and so on) so if it is lifted I would quickly recognise that it is gone.

The only time I've had my wallet stolen is when I foolishly left it a jacket hanging on a chair in a biker rock club for the sole reason that I thought it was safe to do so there. I came back from the dance floor to get another drink and found it gone :(. I nearly got it back because a chap at the adjacent table saw my consternation and pointed out the fellow who had taken it - we gave chase but he made it out the building and away :( :(.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, When we go to Las Vegas? ....we use a legging nylon with zipper just inside the socks above the ankle, use to carry cash! or cards.

Cannot remember where we order it from or the name of the product. It is tube shape and slip over your ankle area. (Black color) comfortable to wear too!

Great idea using Velcro for pants pockets.

Carrying your wallet in the front pants pocket is a smarter place than the back pockets....GREAT idea folks!

Awareness, head up high, standing tall, DO not make yourself look like an easy tarket.

Beaware of distractions,strange people around you,anyone
bumbing into you...? react to check for any losses! Best to travel with friends too! More people watching for each other? ...the better!

Aloha ( too many people are release from prison..with many on very short early outs.....will go on to do it over and over and over...)

PS: a never ending story for the bad guys...NO true justice for the innocent people!

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't carry a wallet. I carry my cash and credit cards in a money clip deep in my front pocket. If someone wants to pick my pocket they have to stick their hand completely into my front pocket, so it had better be my wife .

if you want to be freeked out .. fine but a lot of good street pick pockets could reach into that front pocket, and take the clip and what is in it out, with out you feeling a thing!!
that is why the velcro is a good idea on the pocket opening.

AndyM

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there might not be a market for a wallet which would explode when it left the proximity of it's true owner.
Or if that was too severe, then let off smoke, or a coulored dye or shouted 'thief' repeatedly.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there might not be a market for a wallet which would explode when it left the proximity of it's true owner.
Or if that was too severe, then let off smoke, or a coulored dye or shouted 'thief' repeatedly.
I think Lisa should start breeding or cloning Chew and have them attached to all wallets to rip, tear, maim any pickpockets brazen enough to try.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good advice!! Its amazing what techniques pickpockets will use to get your wallet, get into a bag, etc. That link gave some great tips. I normally carry my wallet in my back pocket, but, whenever I'm in a crowded area, ie: a fair, NYC, etc., I always put it in my front pocket. As hard as it may be at times, I also think its a good idea to always be aware of whats going on around you and also of anyone who is in your personal space.

Latest Discussions