Tornado kick

Dyce17

White Belt
Reaction score
can somebody break down step by step how to finish a tornado kick? I go into it and spin well but when I'm ready to throw the round kick afterward it comes out like a front kick.... what am I doing wrong?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your not Torqueing your Hips properly, is most likely the problem.
My advice is to STOP trying to fully perform the kick. Break it down.

Shift Balance
Step Around and Turn
Step Down and Forward
Pick up the Kicking Leg
Step Accross and Down

You need to be able to perform the Motion before you can go jumping and spinning.
Ive been able to do them since i was a Yellow Belt, but i primarily did it as a Balance Exercise, more than as a Kick.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
can somebody break down step by step how to finish a tornado kick? I go into it and spin well but when I'm ready to throw the round kick afterward it comes out like a front kick.... what am I doing wrong?
You're likely picking up your kicking leg too early or jumping with your back still facing the target. Turn your head, follow with your shoulders...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sounds like you're definitely not getting your head around soon enough to see your target and your too close to your target. You're also not rolling your hip over; both of which are mentioned above. Practice the first part until you get it down, turning as you would a back kick with your head leading the turn. Your plant foot should be dragging, but not raised. After you are able to do this consistently, incorporate the kick. Try this slow at first on a lower target. Focus on a smooth motion throughout without a hitch or hopping in your motion and landing in a balance fighting stance. Don't worry about speed or height, that'll come later.