Tong Il

mcmillintkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am looking for information about the Chang Hon form Tong Il. It is above my rank but then I am not looking for how the form is done. I am researching a paper about any and all historical significance about Tong Il. Something about the whole Chang Hon set and the 24 being the hours in a day, etc., about the Korean unification (as it applies to TKD), and perhap any thing else I can get to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
well, as you know Tong-Il stands for Unification. The first few moves have meanings.. if you dont know these let me know and Ill get info about them. I did know (of) them but as its not my rank (or below) pattern I dont really pay it much mind.. but can get the info for you if you wish.

Stuart

OP
M

mcmillintkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. I did not know that the first couple of moves had a certain meaning. Please get that information to me when you have the time.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Excuse late reply. I know you have these answers from other forum/forum posters already, but Ill still put them here for others interest.

- Move 1 signifies the 2 parts of Korea, which General Choi believed should be one (this is a twin fisted middle punch)

- move 2 represents the long sepertaion of south & north korea (this is a slow horizontal strike with twin knifehands)

- move 3 represents a sudden attack (this is an inward block in rear foot stance)

- move 38 represents stamping through the 38th parallel (tis is a twin fist high vertical punch)

- The many other stamping motions in the patterns are Gen Choi's expression of anger that his country was/is still divided and not reunified!

Stuart

Latest Discussions