DC Comics Reboot

DC Reboot, a good thing?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I really like the reboot. It is quite different from when I was a kid, but it is kinda fun listening to my boys talking about and pretending to be the super heroes tha I grew up with. They think it is pretty cool that I have prior knowledge of the hero in the 'new' movie as well.

James

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what is actualy changed and what stays the same.
They could ruin some of there long standing heros with to much of a change but then again it seemed like one of their writers tried that and thats one of the reasons for the reboot

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
like really bringing back the old timey comic more geared towards the younger audience?
I am all for it!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm really worried about this. This all stems from the Slagel and Shuster family lawsuit that's coming to court in December next year. They have to rush out a Superman movie before then because if they don't DC could literaly loose the rights to everything Slagel and Shuster wrote on the character. No Krypton, no Lex, no first couple years that effectively defined the character.

They are starting to align things so they can retell the story with a new restart not using any of the original creators creations but keeping what they did in the years after. So DC is using this summer's Flashpoint event (the Flash showing up in an alternate world) to justify changes universe wide. So Superman is the reason they are going to clean house.

They can always go back to the original pending the lawsuit. But I really hate the designs, it looks like Superman is wearing an armored costume which means he is no longer invulnerable. They also took away the trunks which from a design standpoint is great, ads color, visual interest and makes him not look like a naked blue guy.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/is-this-the-full-dcnu-justice-league-110626.html

http://i.newsarama.com/images/new-jla_02.jpg
new-jla_02.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
seriously... you miss his red undies?

well, if they just want to produce more 'collectables' then screw them.

If they somehow managed to find a way to bridge the gap from "teen titans' to the current comic market, more power to them.

I understand that 35 yo nerds have more money, but there are new nerds coming up behind them, if you want them as fan base, you have to be on your toes to get them before the competition does!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. They are not undies, they are worn above his clothes so they are not under anything. They are athletic trunks as worn by circus strongmen around the time Slagel and Shuster created the character. Circus strongmen and Superman wear them for several reasons, one of the main ones is modesty. After all, one layer of tights don't hide the junk so well. Just like modern male ballet dancers still wear leotards and trunks of the same color over it (my sister dances ballet so I know these types of dudes quite well). This was even an issue on Superman Returns DVD special features where they talked about how thick the trunks should be to hide/obscure stuff, modesty is a big deal when dealing with kids. He has to be drawn keeping the Greek Ideal of physical perfection in mind, but also skipping the nudity. Just like Batman's black trunks, or the black pattern on Spider-man's costume. Remember the codpiece controversy that happened when Batman Forever was released?

The lack of the red trunks also makes the uniform look unbalanced from a design standpoint. See they also had to keep the red in the midsection to still keep it from looking like a naked blue guy by adding a red belt, but in doing so you have lost the red trunks and the gold belt. So the design looses more than it gains by removing them.

You'll also notice that from the lines on the stomach and legs that Bruce and Clark are wearing armor of the same design. So did Batman make a uniform for Superman or did superman make the uniform for Batman? either way, both the human and the alien wearing the same armored uniform means that either somebody is not invulnerable anymore, or for some reason he still is but feels the need to wear armor and a high color under his work clothes.

There's a reason he's the icon, the first, the greatest. There's a reason an entire industry strang up following him.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. They are not undies, they are worn above his clothes so they are not under anything. They are athletic trunks as worn by circus strongmen around the time Slagel and Shuster created the character. Circus strongmen and Superman wear them for several reasons, one of the main ones is modesty. After all, one layer of tights don't hide the junk so well. Just like modern male ballet dancers still wear leotards and trunks of the same color over it (my sister dances ballet so I know these types of dudes quite well). This was even an issue on Superman Returns DVD special features where they talked about how thick the trunks should be to hide/obscure stuff, modesty is a big deal when dealing with kids. He has to be drawn keeping the Greek Ideal of physical perfection in mind, but also skipping the nudity. Just like Batman's black trunks, or the black pattern on Spider-man's costume. Remember the codpiece controversy that happened when Batman Forever was released?

The lack of the red trunks also makes the uniform look unbalanced from a design standpoint. See they also had to keep the red in the midsection to still keep it from looking like a naked blue guy by adding a red belt, but in doing so you have lost the red trunks and the gold belt. So the design looses more than it gains by removing them.

You'll also notice that from the lines on the stomach and legs that Bruce and Clark are wearing armor of the same design. So did Batman make a uniform for Superman or did superman make the uniform for Batman? either way, both the human and the alien wearing the same armored uniform means that either somebody is not invulnerable anymore, or for some reason he still is but feels the need to wear armor and a high color under his work clothes.

There's a reason he's the icon, the first, the greatest. There's a reason an entire industry strang up following him.

:lfao:

It's like underarmor...go with the times already!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, timeless characters should go with the times. Sure. Herculese should be wearing jeans and a t-shirt, Robin Hood should have an AK47 too. Thanks for the laughing icon there, shows exactly how seriously you do or don't take major changes to something a person like myself has followed for my 30 years. Waytta be belittleing to something you don't follow or truly understand.

I guess if you are not a comic fan and are not in the store every week following this it seems silly. But it's the same deal when people refer to karate as kung fu and think of all martial artists artists as just people who want to fight. Misconceptions about things they don't truly understand.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, timeless characters should go with the times. Sure. Herculese should be wearing jeans and a t-shirt, Robin Hood should have an AK47 too. Thanks for the laughing icon there, shows exactly how seriously you do or don't take major changes to something a person like myself has followed for my 30 years. Waytta be belittleing to something you don't follow or truly understand.

I guess if you are not a comic fan and are not in the store every week following this it seems silly. But it's the same deal when people refer to karate as kung fu and think of all martial artists artists as just people who want to fight. Misconceptions about things they don't truly understand.

I am poking serious fun at you!
(and no, would not do that to just anyone! ^_^)

besides, Robin Hood would be a sniper...and he has been translated into modern times plenty...

People refer to Taekwondo as Karate all the time.

but frankly, the red trunks, or lack there off I had not even noticed.

I am a comic fan, but I am not following what they made of them.

Like the card collector hobby before, or the diecast hobby, comic books have been warped into something they were not. Just because the original customer base grew up they neglected the new base.
Now they are scrambling with an audience they want to sell characters to to whom they had no previous exposure.
So they have to spin the ark way back to before Adam and Eve, tick of the long time fans.

So

when your nerd is showing I get all giggly ^_^

So <3 and peace.

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been a die hard Superman fan since I was a little kid..and I gotta say..i am pretty excited about this.

You are aware that the origional fabric Superman's Suit is made of is from his Kryptonian Space ship...also the suit itself is a Kryptonian Emergency Rescue suit...its what they would wear when a ship would crash or they were, say, lost at sea. So it doesn't mean he will no longer be invulnerable...just maybe they are true to the origin of the suit.

As for Batman's suit...it could easily be from the design from the Christian Bale movies. Bullits don't bounce off of Batman. So thats a no brainer.

As for the Red underwear situation...I honestly don't care...yeah its a nod to the strongman suit...which is fine...but, I don't have issues with them keeping hem or doing away with them...alls I ask is

Don't do this again.
Superman_Red_Superman_Blue_01.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been a die hard Superman fan since I was a little kid..and I gotta say..i am pretty excited about this.

You are aware that the origional fabric Superman's Suit is made of is from his Kryptonian Space ship...also the suit itself is a Kryptonian Emergency Rescue suit...its what they would wear when a ship would crash or they were, say, lost at sea. So it doesn't mean he will no longer be invulnerable...just maybe they are true to the origin of the suit.

As for Batman's suit...it could easily be from the design from the Christian Bale movies. Bullits don't bounce off of Batman. So thats a no brainer.

As for the Red underwear situation...I honestly don't care...yeah its a nod to the strongman suit...which is fine...but, I don't have issues with them keeping hem or doing away with them...alls I ask is

Don't do this again.

Split personality?

Popular theme...
Lo%27Gosh_Varian.jpg

No, no super hero, and I guess the red/blue is just a conceptional necessity....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Didn't say it was conceptional...never crossed my mind...

no, it's a popular theme to incorporate for some reason.
Some times it makes more sense, sometimes it's a bit contrived.

(was it bad superman/good superman? Or rather aggressive-assertive vs more docile?)

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Didn't say it was conceptional...never crossed my mind...

no, it's a popular theme to incorporate for some reason.
Some times it makes more sense, sometimes it's a bit contrived.

(was it bad superman/good superman? Or rather aggressive-assertive vs more docile?)

honestly..when i found out he didn;t have his powers, I stopped reading...until he got his regular powers back...

I just know that there was some sort of an issue with the way he metabolized solar energy after he came back to life.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
honestly..when i found out he didn;t have his powers, I stopped reading...until he got his regular powers back...

I just know that there was some sort of an issue with the way he metabolized solar energy after he came back to life.

Contrived then...
(waiting for Omar to fill us in) :)

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
from WIKI
"Superman Red/Superman Blue"
The second incarnation of Superman Red and Superman Blue began in a 1998 storyline. Superman had developed electricity-based abilities,[1] which eventually forced him to adopt a blue and white containment suit. He also gained the ability to turn his powers "off," though this left him as vulnerable as a normal human. This version of Superman was referred to by some fans as "Electric Blue Superman".[2]
In the Superman Red/Superman Blue one-shot (February 1998), a trap created by the Cyborg-Superman caused Superman to split into two beings who represented different aspects of his personality, though each believed himself to be the original. Superman Blue was the more cerebral entity, preferring to think his way out of situations and actually solve problems with his mind as well as his powers. Superman Red was more rash, but also more decisive, preferring action over taking the time to think. Over time these two personalities grew more and more polarized and individual, to the point that neither entity wanted to become one Superman again.[3][4]
Both Supermen deeply loved Lois Lane; unlike in the earlier Red/Blue story, there was not another love interest for one of the Supermen to pair up with. Instead, they fought over Lois' affections, each with almost no consideration for her feelings; Lois lost her tolerance for this and essentially kicked them both out of the house until they could figure out how to unite.[5]
Perplexed, both Red and Blue flew to Antarctica to see if Kryptonian technology could solve the issue, but were met by a woman named Obsession, who had previously shown an insane level of romantic lust for Superman. Then Maxima, another superpowered female admirer of Superman's (only this one was far more volatile) stepped in. While Obsession liked the idea of two Supermen, Maxima found the existence of two utterly unacceptable. A fight broke out between the women when Obsession offered to share them with the Amazon from Almerac, insulting Maxima's royal sensibilities. Superman Red and Superman Blue separated and reprimanded the combatants.[5]
Following a battle with the Millennium Giants (Cabraca, Cerne and Sekhmet), the two Supermen merged and Superman returned to his normal powers and original costume.[6] The explanation is vague; Superman felt he was "rewarded" for saving the world, although he later claimed that he returned to normal when his electromagnetic energy dispersed.[7]
Although Superman briefly returned to his electric-blue form when facing Brainiac-13 after he was apparently absorbed by Brainiac's energy conduits,[8] this was revealed to be the result of Brainiac 2.5–Brainiac-13's past self, hiding in Lena Luthor to avoid being deleted by his future self[9]–creating the electric Superman based on scans taken of Superman in that form to help Superman delay Brainiac-13 while his real body was restored in a LexCorp facility.[9]

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score

Don't do this again.

The uniform being made from a blanket in the ship is pre-1984 restart (ie. The version of the story they used in the Donner movie) and that's been retconned out of continuity. Neither is that suit any sort of survival suit.

This is his Survival suit that came with his ship:

4258422613_6f433e77a3.jpg

Or maybe you were thinking of his black solar suit which he wears to recharg because it allows in more light (we even see it in SR).

293352-78229-superman-prime_super.jpg

As for Superman Blue/Superman Red. That was apart of the fallout from DC's Longest Night event when the Sun was snuffed out by the Suneater and since Superman is solar powered he wasn't very effective in that storyline. Anyways, Hal Jordan sacrificed his life to atone for killing millions of people in Coast City when he became Parallax by throwing himself into the sun to reignite it. The amount of energy released overcharged Kal and then he couldn't cotrole his powers anymore, even grew to like 10 feet tall at one point.

33-1.jpg

Anyways, his powers expanded in all kinds of crazy ways he could not control till he stepped in the way of a bullet to protect someone but instead of bouncing off him it went right through.

And yes, the trunks are important, it's apart of the iconography. It's the design that most superheros are based upon. When people call things about him dated, old fashioned, etc, they seem to realize that it's because he was the first, the template.

As for him wearing an armored uniform that's the same as Batman's it worries me greatly. It means he is not invulnerable anymore. Remember, this is about the Slagel/Shuster Vs. DC Comics lawsuit, that's why they are trying to get the new Superman movie out before December next year. Imagine loosing everything about Superman written by the creators? No Krypton, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, Kyrptonite, Ma and Pa Kent, I could go on. We are talking about discarding basically everything the character is.

Latest Discussions