David Carradine and Kung Fu

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want to ask, did David Carradine knew Kung Fu? I just saw the movie Kill Bill and also know Mr.Carradine did the TV serie Kung Fu (I recall those years when I was a boy and saw that tv show) and one of the best fight coreographies for me was the one Chuck Norris had with Mr. Carradine in the movie Lone Wolff McQuade and in this movie Carradine play Kung Fu very well.

What kind of Kung Fu Mr. Carradine trained?

Crane? Mantis?

Manny

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
No, David Carradine did not know any style of Kung Fu when he filmed the TV Series

From here
Martial artist

Carradine knew nothing of the practice of kung fu at the time he was cast in the role of Kwai Chang Caine, instead he relied on his experience as a dancer for the part. He also had experience in sword fighting, boxing, and street fighting on which to draw. For the first half of the original series, David Chow provided technical assistance with kung fu. Later, Kam Yuen provided the expertise. It was not until after the series was canceled that Carradine began to study martial arts, first from Yuen and eventually from Rob Moses, a student of Yuen's. He never considered himself a master of the art, but rather an "evangelist" of kung fu. By 2003 he had acquired enough expertise in martial arts to produce and star in several instructional videos on Tai chi and Qi Gong. In 2005, Carradine visited the Shaolin Monastery in Henan, China as part of the extra features for the third season of the Kung Fu DVDs. During his visit, the abbot, Shi Yǒngxìn, said that he recognized Carradine's important contribution to the promotion of the Shaolin Monastery and kung fu culture, to which he replied, "I am happy to serve."

IMO he was never that good and as for his Taijiquan.... he did not know it.

He was a good actor though

Last edited:

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Loved him in Kill Bill. He was so comfortable in that role.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Personally, I hate Kill Bill, but I loved Kung Fu despite some of the hideous choreography.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Personally, I hate Kill Bill, but I loved Kung Fu despite some of the hideous choreography.

I am not a fan of the Kill Bill movies either but I have to admit it was kind of cool seeing Sonny Chiba and Gordon Liu (Chia Hui Liu) in the first one and Gordon Liu (Chia Hui Liu) in the second one but beyond that I did not much like the movies.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Suppossedly he knew praying mantis and tai chi. Though to be honest, I did not like what he showed to have a solid understanding of either.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Carradine's portrayal of Quai Chang Cain did about as much to popularize kung-fu in the early 70's as Bruce Lee's movies. Both sparked my interest in martial arts. But in the case of Carradine's character in the TV show, it was kind of a double-edged sword. That show was overwhelmingly responsible for linking kung-fu with the woooo-wooo, magical-mystical, hippy-dippy new age movement. Maybe that was part of why kung fu became so popular, but it was a distortion of what the martial arts are, and has been a difficult association to shake-off. I mean look what it's done to taijiquan. Xue, you gotta know what I'm talking about. How many times have we all run into some guy carrying a flute and wanting to live the life a of a kung-fu monk "...like David Carradine!"

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carradine's portrayal of Quai Chang Cain did about as much to popularize kung-fu in the early 70's as Bruce Lee's movies. Both sparked my interest in martial arts. But in the case of Carradine's character in the TV show, it was kind of a double-edged sword. That show was overwhelmingly responsible for linking kung-fu with the woooo-wooo, magical-mystical, hippy-dippy new age movement. Maybe that was part of why kung fu became so popular, but it was a distortion of what the martial arts are, and has been a difficult association to shake-off. I mean look what it's done to taijiquan. Xue, you gotta know what I'm talking about. How many times have we all run into some guy carrying a flute and wanting to live the life a of a kung-fu monk "...like David Carradine!"
I saw comedian talking about the show once, "Dude... You get into a fight every week. It's you man!"
Sean

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm in my 20s so I didn't see Kung Fu when it was on TV. My dad really loved it though and got him involved in martial arts, which in turn got me into it.

Without that show, I don't know if I'd ever had become a martial artist.

My dad got the whole series on DVD a few years ago, and every day when I finished class and he was on lunch break we'd watch an episode.

It was good bonding time.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Suppossedly he knew praying mantis and tai chi. Though to be honest, I did not like what he showed to have a solid understanding of either.

I heard the same. The rest he imitated and copied.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm in my 20s so I didn't see Kung Fu when it was on TV. My dad really loved it though and got him involved in martial arts, which in turn got me into it.

My dad got the whole series on DVD a few years ago, and every day when I finished class and he was on lunch break we'd watch an episode.

I remember the incident, and even the conversation of my getting exposed to the Martial Arts. My step Father had returned from the war, Kung Fu was on, and he began to explain how he had seen a guy start tapping on a guys head with his index finger and no matter what the tapee did, the man was able to continue tapping on his forehead. At five years old that sounded way cool. He even demontrated on me, though he was no Martial Artist. Good Times. LOL:)

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Several years ago I had the first season DVD of the ABC series and tried to watch episodes with my teenage sons to catch the magic.

Well.... sad to say it did not become a bonding experience... Within the first hour they started to complain... DO THEY ALWAYS HAVE TO TALK IN METAPHORS!!?????

Out of the mouths of babes... I really didn't have a comeback to that. :uhohh:

I remember an 80s comic had a routine mocking Quai Chang Cain's frequent flashbacks whenever he was in a tense/confrontational situations. "Man - those Shaolin Monks must have dopped some serious acid back at the Temple..."

But nothing beat the "non-bonding" moment when I tried to watch the first BILLY JACK movie with my sons (not the prequel - The Born Losers) but 1971's BILLY JACK.

I have to admit that movie has not aged well... not to mention the two BILLY JACK sequels had to be some of the worst movies made during that decade... which is a pretty high bar to clear IMHO.

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Several years ago I had the first season DVD of the ABC series and tried to watch episodes with my teenage sons to catch the magic.

Well.... sad to say it did not become a bonding experience... Within the first hour they started to complain... DO THEY ALWAYS HAVE TO TALK IN METAPHORS!!?????

Out of the mouths of babes... I really didn't have a comeback to that. :uhohh:

I remember an 80s comic had a routine mocking Quai Chang Cain's frequent flashbacks whenever he was in a tense/confrontational situations. "Man - those Shaolin Monks must have dopped some serious acid back at the Temple..."

But nothing beat the "non-bonding" moment when I tried to watch the first BILLY JACK movie with my sons (not the prequel - The Born Losers) but 1971's BILLY JACK.

I have to admit that movie has not aged well... not to mention the two BILLY JACK sequels had to be some of the worst movies made during that decade... which is a pretty high bar to clear IMHO.
First of all, making your child watch Billy Jack, is almost worth a call to CPS:mst:, but now you go and tell me there is a second one! I'll tell you, I watched the first one when I was about ten and my thoughts on it were, "What is this hippy crap?". I did like Easy Rider, only cuz I'm a sucker for a movie with a happy ending.:wink1:... I'm Kidding!
Sean

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Billy Jack rules. I wore boots and took them off before a fight one just to try it. Ended up casing the kid and came back after to find my boot gone. HAHA lesson learned.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that David Carradine did attempt to learn some kung fu/chi gung later in life, but as to how much he learned or how good he was at it is anyone's guess.

The TV show "Kung Fu" was what got me first interested in the MA as a child. I never saw any Bruce Lee movies until I was out of high school. But, as a young kid in the 70's I was hooked on Kung Fu. Later, when USA Network used to have "Kung Fu Theater" on saturday morning/afternoon, I would be glued to the TV and then try to practice what I saw on there. LOL

Latest Discussions