Your best Kung-Fu movie?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by CloudChaser
anyone seen Shaolin:The Wheel of Life? it basically showcases the skills of shaolin monks as they tour the country... amazing performances and the money goes for the upkeep of their temples, i believe...

Yeah, pretty good, I actually got to see them in person. I wasn't extremely impressed in person, but the video I guess contains the very best of each thing.

7sm

OP
C

CloudChaser

so why weren't you too impressed with them, 7sm? i guess they're not as flashy as in the movies?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by CloudChaser
so why weren't you too impressed with them, 7sm? i guess they're not as flashy as in the movies?

Actually quite the contrary, they were very flashy. It was that they used cheap weapons, so they kept breaking them. They were doin cool stuff like bending spears off their throats and all, but I think I was just wanting to see more true fighting type stuff. they were very acrobatic, very good at what they did. I'm not trying to say I was really just disapointed in them as a whole, I guess I could clarify it to say that I wanted theri performance to contain different elements, thats all.

I most certainly couldn't do it!! :eek:

7sm

OP
C

CloudChaser

ah yes, variety is the spice of life! i would have liked seeing more shaolin forms and less of the feats of strength and suppleness acts too...

the staff form (my favorite!) as well as the other weapons forms shown in the Shaolin Temple movie were simply awe-inspiring! watching demos like that always gets me pumped up!!!

can anyone name a kung fu movie that best represents their particular style then?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are alot of mantis movies but most are really old and few are really good. I would enjoy seeing a more modern movie showcasing mantis kung fu. I would buy it out of principle probably. :)

OP
H

Hariani

I'm suprised that no-one has mentioned 'Prodigal Son'. In my opinion one of the best kung fu flicks ever made. Great acting, fight scenes, plot, and it has Sammo Hung in it.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is so hard because I am a big Fan of Jet Li and Jackie Chan and also Bruce Lee! I think Fist of Fury is an awesome film! He takes out these Japanese Bushido guys and there must be about 20 or 30 of them in the first scene! One of them he lifts their leg up and does and axe kick to the guy's leg and breaks it! Then He confronts the Japanese school and takes the whole class on with phenomenal speed and grace!
But one of his films he has done in the west is The Kiss of the Dragon where Jet fights these twins and one of them is nearly 7ft tall!

OP
M

Matt Bernius

As far as movies:
- Enter the Dragon (and Return of The Dragon) - you have to appreciate both of these

- New Fist of Fury - possibly the best Jet Li film ever

- Drunken Master II - possibly the best pure Kung Fu Jackie Chan film (though Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever feature his best individuals fights IMHO).

- Ong Bak - Yes I realize it's Thai, but it you haven't seen this film YOU MUST! It manages to showcase incredible fighting and stunt work and keep it in the frame work of Thai fighting.

As for Wheel of Life and wanting to see fighting... forget about it. This isn't real Shaolin that they are doing. It's essentially government Wu Shu. And that isn't about fighting. It's only about acrobatics. Shaolin in China is dead (or at least underground). Anyting that comes out of the current "temple" is pure propoganda.

- Matt

OP
I

InvisibleFist

The BEST kung fu movie of ALL TIME is Drunken Master II, aka "Legend of Drunken Master." Jackie chan doing 8 drunken immortals, choreographed by Lau Gar Leug, and some real nice Choy li Fut...what more could you want.

Second best is Chinese Ghost story...but thats not really a Kung Fu movie.

OP
C

CloudChaser

anyone see Bulletproof Monk with Chow Yun Fat??? i thought that movie was entertaining to watch!

and speaking of more cheezy fun, everyone check out a 1992 movie called AMERICAN SHAOLIN starring Reese Madigan! there's even a hilarious scene where the new shaolin monks in training are singing rock n roll! (guess who's to blame for this outburst of appalling behavior?) wheeeeeee!!!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CloudChaser said:
anyone see Bulletproof Monk with Chow Yun Fat??? i thought that movie was entertaining to watch!
Yeah, that was a pretty entertaining movie, not neccessarily good kung fu, but entertaining deffinatly.

7sm

OP
R

RHD

Master Killer, hands downs all time best kung fu movie, with Last Hurrah for Chivalry a close second.
Mike

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
CloudChaser said:

and speaking of more cheezy fun, everyone check out a 1992 movie called AMERICAN SHAOLIN starring Reese Madigan! there's even a hilarious scene where the new shaolin monks in training are singing rock n roll! (guess who's to blame for this outburst of appalling behavior?) wheeeeeee!!!

I've seen these films and the choreography is amazing! The American Shaolin film was quite funny aswell!

OP
M

Matt Bernius

Tony said:
I've seen these films and the choreography is amazing! The American Shaolin film was quite funny aswell!

Tony,

No offense but if you think the choreography in Bulletproof Monk was amazing, you probably need to spend more time renting more Martial Arts films.

- Matt

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Matt Bernius said:
Tony,

No offense but if you think the choreography in Bulletproof Monk was amazing, you probably need to spend more time renting more Martial Arts films.

- Matt

No offense taken! Bulletproof monk was a good film considering the actors apart from Chow Yun Fat had no previous Martial Arts training, so thats what made it amazing! Most of the films I rent are Martial Arts films! I have a big collection of videos and Dvds that taking up a lot of the space in my house!
I have to say I am a big fan of Jet Li! Since the first time I saw him he became number 1 in my eyes. I am also a big fan of Bruce Lee, but I guess Jet and Bruce merely have different styles, but both just as awesome!
I have now for the first time seen Crouching Tiger hidden dragon and wow what a film, great storyline too! I rented 3 dvd martial Arts films and that was one of them! I also rented Invincible and Kung Pow!
I know Bulletproof Monk can't compare to the other films I have seen and all the other ones I haven't seen but bearing in mind it was made by Hollywood it wasn't too bad!

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Tony

You bring up an interesting point about Chow Yun Fat.

Remember the movie Dragon, the Bruce Lee Story.
I remember watching on the DVD the commentaries and they specifically said they looked for a person that was not a martial artist but an actor. They had said they had problems before getting a martial artist to act.
But it seems as if they did a fantastic job getting an actor to portray a martial artist. I thought he was awesome. It was a great movie.

I also loved Bulletproof Monk.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

Tony said:
No offense taken! Bulletproof monk was a good film considering the actors apart from Chow Yun Fat had no previous Martial Arts training, so thats what made it amazing! Most of the films I rent are Martial Arts films! I have a big collection of videos and Dvds that taking up a lot of the space in my house!
I have to say I am a big fan of Jet Li! Since the first time I saw him he became number 1 in my eyes. I am also a big fan of Bruce Lee, but I guess Jet and Bruce merely have different styles, but both just as awesome!
I have now for the first time seen Crouching Tiger hidden dragon and wow what a film, great storyline too! I rented 3 dvd martial Arts films and that was one of them! I also rented Invincible and Kung Pow!
I know Bulletproof Monk can't compare to the other films I have seen and all the other ones I haven't seen but bearing in mind it was made by Hollywood it wasn't too bad!

OP
C

CloudChaser

i've got the Hero hong kong dvd import and i agree that it's a superb film! deep storyline, well choreographed fight scenes, and spectacular use of color imagery/symbolism throughout... a martial arts must-have for your video collection!