Darpa’s Cheetah-Bot Designed to Chase Human Prey

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What could possibly go wrong?

Cheetah is designed to be a four-legged robot with a flexible spine and articulated head (and potentially a tail) that runs faster than the fastest human. In addition to raw speed, Cheetah’s makers promise that it will have the agility to make tight turns so that it can “zigzag to chase and evade” and be able to stop on a dime.

and if that isn't freaky enough...

Meet Atlas, Cheetah’s humanoid pal. Atlas is supposed to look more or less like the T-800 series of Terminators, minus the head. Its designers say it’ll be able to walk like a human over rough terrain, crawling on its hands and knees when necessary and turning itself sideways to slip through any narrow passages it encounters. Headless, with a torso and two arms, it’s a step up from Boston Dynamics’ other biped, the lower-body-bot Petman.]

Why do I get the feeling that the engineers who designed these love watching the Terminator movies and root for Skynet every time?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very cool. I've always been fascinated with technology that follows nature. I can't wait for more developments in boats and subs that mirror sea life. So far they've got small swimming fish robots with cameras.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rat Things

Rat things, also known as semi-autonomous guard units, are the guard force in Mr.Lee's Greater Hong Kong. Rat things are made from pit bull terriers, surgically augmented with cybernetic components. Rat things remember their previous life as a dog. They can also communicate with other Rat things by "barking" in the Metaverse. Although their minds are largely controlled by their implants, they can sometimes act independently against their programming.

At this point, I'm beginning to suspect that DARPA is just working its way through every idea in Snow Crash.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Be one way for the cops to chase down suspects, or the military to scout territory.

Latest Discussions