Dan Fogelberg

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Singer Dan Fogelberg, 56, dies of cancer
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071217/ap_on_en_mu/obit_fogelberg
By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY, AP Music Writer 40 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Dan Fogelberg, the singer and songwriter whose hits "Leader of the Band" and "Same Old Lang Syne" helped define the soft-rock era, died Sunday at his home in Maine after battling prostate cancer. He was 56.
His death was announced in a statement by Anna Loynes of the Solters & Digney public relations agency, and it was also posted on the singer's Web site.
"Dan left us this morning at 6:00 a.m. He fought a brave battle with cancer and died peacefully at home in Maine with his wife Jean at his side," it read. "His strength, dignity and grace in the face of the daunting challenges of this disease were an inspiration to all who knew him."
Fogelberg discovered he had advanced prostate cancer in 2004. In a statement then, he thanked fans for their support.
"It is truly overwhelming and humbling to realize how many lives my music has touched so deeply all these years," he said.
Fogelberg's music was powerful in its simplicity. He didn't rely on the volume of his voice to convey his emotions; instead, they came through in the soft, tender delivery and his poignant lyrics. Songs like "Same Old Lang Syne" — in which a man reminisces after meeting an old girlfriend by chance during the holidays — became classics not only because of his performance, but for the engaging storyline, as well.
Biography : http://www.treehouse.org/fogelberg/biography.html
He was/is one of my favorite performers. To me a brilliant songwriter/story teller. This is a great loss in the world of music.

There's a place in the world For a gambler
There's a burden that only He can bear
There's a place in the world For a gambler,

And he sees Oh, yes he sees...
And he sees Oh, yes he sees...

There's a song in the heart Of a woman
That only the truest of loves Can release.
There's a song in the heart Of a woman.

Set it free Oh, set it free
Set it free Oh, set it free
Set it free Oh, set it free.

There's a light in the depths Of your darkness
There's a calm at the eye Of every storm.
There's a light in the depths Of your darkness.

Let is shine Oh, let it shine
Let is shine Oh, let it shine
Let is shine Oh, let it shine.
Let it Shine

Attachments

• $Dan+Fogelberg.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 169

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Leader Of The Band is tired and his eyes are growing old....but his blood runs through my instrument and his song is in my soul...

May God rest his soul.... :asian:

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember his stuff too from university days. Seems to me he was quite young for advanced prostate cancer. I hope his loss will serve as a reminder to men to get checked.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Leader Of The Band is tired and his eyes are growing old....but his blood runs through my instrument and his song is in my soul...

May God rest his soul.... :asian:

You beat me to the quote I was going to post. I spent all the time I could listening to every song of his that I had a copy of - one of my favorite artists. :asian:

Latest Discussions