Damaged Lens?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How can one tell if a lens is damaged or scratched?

I had an....unfortunate accident. Let me just say that I won't have to worry about my crappy UV filter anymore :eek:

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Check the rotation, if its smooth it should be ok, hold the lens up to good light you will see if it is cracked or has scratches.......to be sure take it to a reputable camera shop to have it checked out...I hope nothing is wrong with it...and good thing you had the UV filter on it!! It probably saved the lens!

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it to much unless you can see obvious damage (smashed lens, dents in the body), or your shots now are just completely out of whack. Lenses can be pretty banged up before it starts to impact the shot.

This article might make your feel better about your lens, or at least get some amusement from it:
https://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You really have to worry if something gets in on the sensor.

So what happened??? How bad is it? does it still work?

I worry about my lenses every day

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've gotten sand in 1 lens, still works, just makes a grinding noise and is 'tight' to turn. It's a $90 50mm, so I just bought a spare and didn't worry about it. More expensive kit, I worry.

Oh, thanks for the link. I might see how good they are renting stuff. :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My camera, or at least the lens, is going back to Best Buy. I can't remove the broken filter from the lens. And worse...I don't even have a sexy story to share about how accident happened...LOL.

I had the camera out to offload the images on to my netbook. The strap hooked around the arm of my chair (unbeknownst to me). When I moved my chair, the camera took a tumble - lens first - on to the ground.

The filter broke with a rather sickening crunch, but the rest of the camera seems OK, aside from the ring of glass shards that are on the lens. However, the filter appears to be wedged on...the impact either dented or stripped the threading on the lens.

So, no DSLR photos from me for a bit, but with the home closing and all of its associated hassles behind me, I'll be getting back to my photo of the day and other projects with a P&S. :)

Latest Discussions