There is something to be said about Instant Gratification

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or:
I love my photo people at Walmart. Yeah, I know, hardly worthy of a budding pro but they are sweet.

From today's crop:
August2012017.jpg

August2012029.jpg

August2012067.jpg

The first and second I had printed as 8x10s, well not at the instant kiosk, but the 1h one.
So I left the store ad went to the dollar store for frames (unrelated, for my scouts)

When I return to pick up the pictures the ladies ask me 'where did you find the mushrooms?'
Well, I tell them, in my front yard. I am sure the garbage man must have thought i was crazy as I rolled around the front yard near the street! :lol:

I am sure the ladies at the photo center see a lot of pictures, but they are often commenting on my work :)

BTW, I was playing around with a macro lens. I didn't even check what size, I just picked one of the 4 from the set.

And I need to find the AF shut off, I know it has one, as well as the features that switches the AF from the many dots all over to the little square in the center...the dots are fine, but such an annoyance when something tiny gets in the way.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I use wal mart to print my own stuff (stuff for myself) sometimes and I use them for my display work for exhibitions or what not. For a client I send it away, takes around a week. They can't tell the difference but they think they can and I don't care if they want to spend more and wait longer. It also makes them more likely to buy the digital copies.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Photo number one is nice. You have the front mushroom in focus, yet I still know what is in the background. The mushroom and the dirt in front are well lit, with the rest darker so not distracting. Finally, the side lighting provides a wonderful separation between elements of the photo. No wonder they asked about it. Well done.

The other two shots aren't bad, but perhaps have a little too much space on top and below them, and there isn't the drama you captured in the mushroom shot. That may be because of the excess of oof areas. Still, they have possibilities.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks.
I discovered the red mushrooms a bit later in the morning, when the sun was quiet high already.
I was playing with different things, like composition, etc...
August2012050.jpg

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only criticism I can offer is on the 3rd shot, and that's the crop, which it looks like you redid. That's it. Great shots. :)

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, the 3rd shot and the 4th are actually two different shots. Like I said, playing with the composition a little (I was hoping for a 'look at the giant mushroom' effect :))

this morning the mushrooms have all opened up and the red faded a bit (but no white specks...)
I got very lucky seeing them when I did.

(I briefly thought about hooking up the photobooth program to take time laps shots, but with the location being direct by the road...I opted to pass...you know, next thing you know you have two cameras and laptops in the front yard! )