article: Tips on Lenses – Sharp Images at a Budget Price, the 50mm Answer. -Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tips on Lenses – Sharp Images at a Budget Price, the 50mm Answer.
-Bob Hubbard

For anyone shooting portraits with a DSLR, which lens is best is an ongoing question, with most photographers having differing opinions based on their shooting style and goals. Good portrait lenses can run into the thousands of dollars for high end pro-glass. Thankfully both Nikon and Canon have an affordable answer within most shooters budgets.

The 50mm F1.8 lens.

While I would love to have the F1.2 or F1.4, both are out of the budget of the beginner or casual shooter at $350-$1,500. I've shot both Nikon and Canon DLSRs over the past few years, and both vendors offer a dirt cheap, razor sharp F1.8 lens right around the $100 price point. These lenses are great for low light occasions, create sharp and vibrant images, and are ultra light. The downside is they tend to be made of plastic and lack the durability of the higher priced F1.4 versions. The other downside is, as a prime or fixed length lens, the zoom tends to be your own two feet.

If you're serious about your photography, or just want a low cost sharp lens, check out the 50mm offered by your vendor. You won't be disappointed.

====
Bob Hubbard is a professional photographer specializing in martial arts event, nature and portrait photography. He is also the CEO of SilverStar WebDesigns Inc, a web design and hosting company specializing in martial arts sites, as well as an administrator on the popular martial arts communities MartialTalk.com, Kenpotalk.com and FMATalk.com. His martial arts photography can be found there as well as at his martial arts photography web site, martialphotos.com. He may be reached through these sites.
Copyright © 2010 - Bob Hubbard - All Rights Reserved
Permission is granted to reprint this article on websites, blogs and ezines provided all text, links and authors bio is left intact.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the Canon, but the Nikon 50mm F/1.8 is a phenomenal deal. I don't use mine all that often, but when you need to shoot in low light, or when 50mm is the length you need it's a great choice.

Something to be aware of though is that it won't auto focus on many of Nikons newer lower end cameras that don't have a AF motor in the body.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been shooting a 50mm f/1.7 Pentax for a long time on my Pentax dSLR bodies. I love Pentax for that reason - classic old manual focus glass on modern dSLR bodies. Nothing better. Anyone who doesn't get it...well, they don't get it (shrug).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob, any recommendations for a wide-angle lens that fits the Canon D-50?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right now, I'm using the kit 18-50mm IS lens for wide angle shots, though I liked the Nikon version better. (Different crop factor, got a hair wider shot)

Right now, I'm considering the $500 Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM for landscapes, but I'm looking for an affordable 16mm or wider.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Have you looked at the Tokina wide angle lenses Bob? Their 11-16mm f/2.8 and 12-24mm F/4 both get great reviews.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've tended to stay with Canon and Nikon lenses so far, but have been checking out Sigma. I'll take a look at the Tokina's. Thanks! :)

Latest Discussions