Dai-Sifu Emin Boztepe?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An ad in the current issue (Aug. 2003) of Martial Art magazine is for "Dai-Sifu Emin Boztepe" (www.ebmas.net) and Grandmaster Rene Latosa.

Is "Dai-Sifu" a recognized term in the CMA? It sounds like the Japanese dai meaning roughly 'greater' prepended to the Chinese sifu.

T

Tomyum

It could be a mispronounciation of "da-sifu"

In the Mandarin dialect, da (4th tone) means great or big. For instance big brother would be da ge (da-guh)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do a search on Google for "Dai-Sifu" and it turns up several others using the same title. I wasn't able to find out what it means though with any certainty. It appears to be "Chief Instructor" or "Head Instructor".

Found this, which might help:
> Do they have different titles for females? What is the head of a
> system called?
>
Well, my elder (kung-fu) sister is my Si-Je. For this level we do
distinguish the genders in WT. For Si-Fu (father) we don't - I guess
that's partly because Si-Fu is like a honorary title that is only given
to very distinguished martial artists. (This can lead to confusions,
since the wife of my Si-Fu is my Si-Mo (mother) - so what's the husband
of a lady Si-Fu called? Oh well...)
I call K.R. Kernspecht my Si-Gung (grand father) and the current leader
of our style is Leung Ting , my Si-Jo (great grand-father). K.R.
Kernspecht is also the head of the Si-Fus in Europe, so he is also
Dai-Sifu (my Si-Suk, younger uncle, is actually heading the group of
schools I train at, so he's my Dai-Si-Hing). Also there is a Chinese term
for style leader, but I have forgotten it...

Ciao,
Ingo
(6. SG WT)

T

Tomyum

BTW, very impressed with Emin Boztepe's wing tsun self-defense techniques. Very realistic! He has guys kick at him full force with karate style kicks, punch him with jabs and crosses and attempt full force single and double leg takedowns.

His applications are the real deal!

E

EBMAS Chicago

Yes, he is on the cover of the November 2003 Inside Kung Fu. There is also an 8-page interview included. It is on our website www.wt-chicago.com

Enjoy...

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They let you post the whole interview? It's a bit small, but even still, I'm surprised! That's great for you!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
quote:
> Do they have different titles for females? What is the head of a
> system called?
>
Well, my elder (kung-fu) sister is my Si-Je. For this level we do
distinguish the genders in WT. For Si-Fu (father) we don't - I guess
that's partly because Si-Fu is like a honorary title that is only given
to very distinguished martial artists. (This can lead to confusions,
since the wife of my Si-Fu is my Si-Mo (mother) - so what's the husband
of a lady Si-Fu called? Oh well...)
I call K.R. Kernspecht my Si-Gung (grand father) and the current leader
of our style is Leung Ting , my Si-Jo (great grand-father). K.R.
Kernspecht is also the head of the Si-Fus in Europe, so he is also
Dai-Sifu (my Si-Suk, younger uncle, is actually heading the group of
schools I train at, so he's my Dai-Si-Hing). Also there is a Chinese term
for style leader, but I have forgotten it...

Ciao,
Ingo
(6. SG WT)

Its strange how many different stories get started. I've never heard Sifu translated to "father" before. It literally translates to teacher. We use Sijeh for Elder Kung Fu "sister" but I've never heard it translated exactly to "sister". Or Sihing for that matter as well.
Also, I've never heard the title of sifu being used so liberally, as in an honorary title given to good martial artists. Its your teacher, there are requirements to be called a Sifu as well. hmm

7sm

T

tmanifold

I have heard the sifu/father translation before. I have heard it countless times as a matter of fact. That doesn't mean it is true but it is an old translation.

Tony

E

EBMAS Chicago

True, Sifu actually means teacher. However if you go back in chinese history the teacher was also your father; or your father was your teacher; but not only in martial arts. He was a teacher in everything. There was (and I like to believe) there still is a certain respect for your teacher/father that we hardly find in our "western world".

It is also absolutely correct that today many instructors call themselves SIFU for marketing purposes. Not every teacher is a Sifu, because not every teacher has spent the time, effort and sweat to learn the system completely.

(I only can speak for the organizations/instructors I know/and met). In EBMAS there are many highly qualified and skilled instructors worldwide. And none of those instructors would ever give themselves the Sifu-title. In EBMAS the Sifu title is given out by Dai-Sifu Emin Boztepe personally to assure a very high standard of quality, skills, training and teachings.

In another major organization the Sifu title is given out to maintain a steady stream of income to the founder.

I believe that the quality of instructions / teachings is more powerful than a title. A good Sifu does not only teach you how to fight, more importantly he teaches you how to use your skills and knowledge in your personal / business life to be a better person, don't you agree?

BTW, if you would like to meet Sifu EMin Boztepe personally please visit www.ebmas.net for his complete seminar schedule. Many of these semianrs are open to non-EBMAS members. It is always a good experience to meet with others.

Latest Discussions