Cute little toy

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kel-Tec has a new .223 pistol. I don't really see many practical uses for this but it'd be fun. It uses m-16 magazines so it'd be a a cool sidekick for your AR :D
plr_stock_right.jpg

http://www.kel-tec.com/plr16pr.htm

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
Kel-Tec has a new .223 pistol. I don't really see many practical uses for this but it'd be fun. It uses m-16 magazines so it'd be a a cool sidekick for your AR :D
plr_stock_right.jpg

http://www.kel-tec.com/plr16pr.htm
Yeah, i've seen it in the law enforcement trade magazines. I'm with you, not sure of the niche market it's trying to fill. I suppose it might have applications in CQB situations, or at having a more portable way of defeating body armor. Though, in that role, I don't know what it will do that an FN 5.7 won't do as well.

It seems to be a compromise weapon. It's too big to be a good pistol, it's too small to be an effective long-gun.

If someone will loan me one, i'll do a little T&E and let you folks know what I think.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Though, in that role, I don't know what it will do that an FN 5.7 won't do as well.

There is the fact, though, that ammo is far more plentiful for the Kel-Tec offering, and that the ammo itself is far less restricted.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
There is the fact, though, that ammo is far more plentiful for the Kel-Tec offering, and that the ammo itself is far less restricted.
Certainly, but the main difference is that you can fit a Fn in a holster. The Kel-Tec is too long to be a good pistol (which you wear as much as carry) and too short to be an effective rifle. Put a stock on it, and you have an extremely short-barreled carbine (which, would then likely be a violation of federal law). I believe Bushmaster and Olympic arms have Ar-15 'pistols' as well.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/carbon15/az-c15p97.asp
http://www.impactguns.com/store/OLY-OA-98.html

It basically seems to be an answer to a question that has, as yet, escaped me. Perhaps it would make a good CQB entry gun. With several companies coming out with versions, perhaps there's a need i'm not aware of. The Bushmaster model, in particular, appears to be easily modified in to a short-barreled rifle by simply removing the recoil assembly and replacing it with a telescoping stock. Though, whether this would make it a very short-barreled rifle, and hence, in violation of federal law, would be a question for your local ATF agent.

Looks like a lot of fun to shoot, though.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
definitely a novelty gun. not real sure what it's "ideal" use is.

i friend of mine that works for the greene county sheriffs office built his own. granted, when i saw it, it does look pretty cool. but like i told him, wtf are you going to do with it...?

if i had the extra $$, sure i'd have one built. there's no such thing as too many guns in the house.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Played with one in a local shop....will probably pick one up just because... retailing around $450 hereabouts.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
It seems to be a compromise weapon. It's too big to be a good pistol, it's too small to be an effective long-gun.

It's been my experience that any piece of equipment that tries to fill too many roles usually does none of them well...

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
bignick said:
It's been my experience that any piece of equipment that tries to fill too many roles usually does none of them well...
Precisely!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seig said:
Looks a little like a blaster from StarWars.
Don't you guys know Han Solo's FIRST blaster when you see it? Geez :rolleyes:

I agree there doesn't seem to have any practical use for it other to "look" cool or to be a CQB weapon that's easily portable.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a Kel-Tec that I got as an "add on" to a trade I made. It wasn't very accurate, wasn't well constructed, but it was chambered in .308, so the ammo was cheap and easy and it was able to fold up for storage/concealment. Overall, I wasn't impressed with their product. I see why my friend threw it in on the trade.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Did Keltec ever make a .308?
I have had a p32 for years, subjected it what can only be termed abuse, and had the manufacturer stand behind the product 100%. The PLR16 fills the same niche as the AR pistols built by Bushmaster and others, and for about half the price. Ultimately it is a plinker; shoots a common, fairly cheap round, and looks like a hell of a lot of fun. While I wouldn't pay $700+ for a gun in that category I just might pay $400.
Check ar15.com for an interesting range report (to lazy to find an post the link.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
As an aside, I have a Kel-Tec .32 pocket gun that's fun to shoot and reliable. Fairly accurate for it's size, which is extremely small. It's a true pocket gun, with a profile not larger than the average pocket knife. It even has a pocket knife style pocket clip.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Get a stamp and put a stock on it...it would make a nice cheap SBR, but it needs a small forearm like the mp5s

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Get a stamp and put a stock on it...it would make a nice cheap SBR, but it needs a small forearm like the mp5s
Make sure to get the stamp, otherwise ATF might come a knockin' (and it won't be about the alcohol or tobacco).

Latest Discussions