Cut kick/closing distance hop for other reasons!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
...... this is an odd thread already XD.

Okay, so as I've mentioned elsewhere I have a fractured ankle and partially torn ligament. Using crutches everywhere, but I've been..... experimenting. With hopping!

Now I know not everyone is a fan of the excessive one leg up hopping forward in TKD sparring (in which I heard new rules have been put in place so that you can't just hold your leg up as long as you want), but this has been good to get around the kitchen without crutches. It's SUPER awkward trying to make lunch with crutches (hard to explain), so I've been trying that shuffle/hop!

I've tried looking around, and could only really find cut kick tutorials like this

But I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the hop forward itself, not so much the kick.

Eg
-With the supporting leg, do you face your heel to the direction that you're travelling in?

-Supporting knee slightly bent?

-Body turned mainly side on to the direction you're going?

-How do you time the hop, or what are its mechanics to drive you forward? As in, do you use the chambered/lifted leg to propel you forward, as in do you lift that leg higher to do the hop, or keep that leg the same level the whole time? (Not drop it lower and higher)

-Do you lean/tilt your body back?

These all may be dependent on the kick that you're planning to throw, but I just want to do it safely so as to a) not further injure my foot, and b) not do any damage or injury to my supporting foot/ankle/knee!

Curious as to any pointers! Obviously I'm using it for different purposes here, but it seems to be a great way to cover distance on one foot!

When I trialled out TKD a few months ago we actually worked on this with pads a little, and it worked well, would be very appreciative of any tips, thanks guys!

*cough cough @skribs * (I always get alot out of your sparring tips you post!)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Definitely keep the knee bent.

-How do you time the hop, or what are its mechanics to drive you forward? As in, do you use the chambered/lifted leg to propel you forward, as in do you lift that leg higher to do the hop, or keep that leg the same level the whole time? (Not drop it lower and higher)
If you are timing your cut/roundhouse/side kick correctly with the slide it is putting a lot more pressure on the standing leg and knee. Think of it as a spring. You want to be able to "spring" from the standing knee so that your bodies momentum and energy goes into the kick.
I am not a fan of leaving my leg up for more than 2 kicks max unless an opportunity presents itself. It is way to easy for your opponent to move forward and stuff the kick, knocking you off balance.

There are a lot of factors here. What kick are you sliding with and how are you positioned to your opponent being the major two.
There is a bit of personal preference and strength involved. Too often I see people leaning so far back to help hold their leg up that they get their standing foot cemented to the floor. Or, after a move/kick they are either too biased back causing the leg to come back down to the floor very slow or they fall back taking effectiveness away form the move/kick.

These all may be dependent on the kick that you're planning to throw, but I just want to do it safely so as to a) not further injure my foot, and b) not do any damage or injury to my supporting foot/ankle/knee!
Squats, lots of squats. And any other leg and core strengthening you normally do.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for that! I watched his others on this as well, was interesting him saying it's more about weight distribution. So if 50% of your weight is on the front, you can basically use that to carry the thrust forward. But it seems he does push off as well, which would work great for power. And he does lead with the back heel a bit (as in points in forward, which is what I would usually do with a side kick), cool.

I guess I'm in the tricky spot of 0% weight on the front foot haha, but will still work on using my front leg as the weight in front. Am trying to work it more as a forward movement than a 'hop'.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Step behind then you don't have to hop. Combine with a backfist while in motion to distract.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thanks so much mate, that was really helpful! Very true in that it depends on many factors, but I love the thought of the supporting leg acting as a spring to propel you forward.

I guess my challenge is the ability to shoot forward and not landing on both legs again, but keeping on my healthy leg, so I may have to incorporate more back lean to counter this. And I may even bring my leg down a bit after the jump forward (without resting it on the floor) so that I can work on bringing it up and propelling forward, like I would if I was shooting forward with a kick.

Fractured foot is giving me some good opportunities to work on different things for sure XD

And I've been working on pistol squats a bit for my good leg too! But I also figure since my right leg isn't being used much in this time, this will get some work in for them at least (the rectus femoris portion and illiopsoas anyway).

Cheers, appreciate it mate :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Step behind then you don't have to hop. Combine with a backfist while in motion to distract.
Hehe cheers Bill, am only using this technique as a 'movement aid' around the house due to an ankle injury. But hey, I'm happy to throw backfists around the house too! ;D

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks so much mate, that was really helpful! Very true in that it depends on many factors, but I love the thought of the supporting leg acting as a spring to propel you forward.

I guess my challenge is the ability to shoot forward and not landing on both legs again, but keeping on my healthy leg, so I may have to incorporate more back lean to counter this. And I may even bring my leg down a bit after the jump forward (without resting it on the floor) so that I can work on bringing it up and propelling forward, like I would if I was shooting forward with a kick.

Fractured foot is giving me some good opportunities to work on different things for sure XD

And I've been working on pistol squats a bit for my good leg too! But I also figure since my right leg isn't being used much in this time, this will get some work in for them at least (the rectus femoris portion and illiopsoas anyway).

Cheers, appreciate it mate :)
I think one of the videos makes a point of practicing the kick on a hard target where you start back from the target so you have to do the slide, then a hard kick and then holding the kicking leg chambered. It is definitely a strength/coordination/practice technique, skill. To work on conditioning for primarily the kicking leg you can use a stretching rail or a wall. Get set in the chambered position using the support for some balance and work on just the kicking motion making sure the body is engaged. Use less and less support to help find the "sweet spot" for balance. My rule is the less lean the faster the fighter. This is where the core strengthening really comes into play. This is definitely a greater challenge for heavier people. The leg just has more mass to deal with. If you are working on mats the slide is a little harder due to the friction from the pads. Makes the "spring" from the standing leg more important.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jacob also uses the skip side kick as a setup for:

Skip forward and chamber a side kick....but instead of side kick he uses a hard step forward with his chambered leg and leads with backhand to head, reverse punch to solar plexus( or head), step back at 45 degree and either side kick or hook kick and exit.

The step forward is kind of a lunge forward as his opponent begins to block the sidekick Its really fast and works well.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think one of the videos makes a point of practicing the kick on a hard target where you start back from the target so you have to do the slide, then a hard kick and then holding the kicking leg chambered. It is definitely a strength/coordination/practice technique, skill. To work on conditioning for primarily the kicking leg you can use a stretching rail or a wall. Get set in the chambered position using the support for some balance and work on just the kicking motion making sure the body is engaged. Use less and less support to help find the "sweet spot" for balance. My rule is the less lean the faster the fighter. This is where the core strengthening really comes into play. This is definitely a greater challenge for heavier people. The leg just has more mass to deal with. If you are working on mats the slide is a little harder due to the friction from the pads. Makes the "spring" from the standing leg more important.
Awesome, great idea about holding onto something for support, and gradually using less and less support.
I am pretty sure he is doing WT sparring where backfist are not allowed. Yea, it can get unrealistic pretty quick.
Nope, not even TKD! :) But just working on this for movement's sake.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Skip forward and chamber a side kick....but instead of side kick he uses a hard step forward with his chambered leg and leads with backhand to head, reverse punch to solar plexus( or head), step back at 45 degree and either side kick or hook kick and exit.

The step forward is kind of a lunge forward as his opponent begins to block the sidekick Its really fast and works well.
Ah yeah I love it for that purpose too! Has such an explosive thrust and of course the opponent will think that a thrusting side kick or front leg roundhouse is coming hehe.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Good combo but totally different from the OP's description. The key and the speed is in the slide.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So if 50% of your weight is on the front, you can basically use that to carry the thrust forward.guess I'm in the tricky spot of 0% weight on the front foot haha, but will still work on using my front leg as the weight in front. Am trying to work it more as a forward movement than a 'hop'.
I always liked this video of Bill Wallace talking about his slide for a front leg roundhouse. You may find that helpful as well. "It's that easy!" No it's not :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always liked this video of Bill Wallace talking about his slide for a front leg roundhouse. You may find that helpful as well. "It's that easy!" No it's not :)

Thanks for that, yeah was helpful, just where you're directing the knee determines where your body will go.

Wow he's got good control haha

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wish I had seen that video back when I was trying to figure out my round kicks. It took me years to figure out what he demonstrated in first seconds of that video.

Latest Discussions