Curious Question

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Joined
Dec 4, 2001
Messages
1,711
Reaction score
30
Location
Fort Lewis, Washington
I know that there are some folks out there that are critical of other styles based, at least in part, on the uniforms that they wear.

Japanese, Okinawan and Korean schools wear uniforms that are fairly easily identified as being from those countries of origin.

Many Chinese schools wear either a Chinese style uniform, or simple loose pants and a shirt.

FMA schools wear a variety of outfits, though it seems in my limited experience that they lean toward a similar cut in clothing.

Whatever.

I know that some folks have taken issue with Chinese schools that wear a Japanese style uniform, stating that it is somehow an illegitimate style because they aren't wearing "authentic" clothing. The Shaolin-Do people, in addition to many other issues, have had to fight this issue as well.

In my school, our teacher helped us to obtain black Chinese style uniforms for us, but when his supplier was unable to procure uniforms to fill new orders, we went ahead and allowed black karate style uniforms to be worn. His argument was (and is) that the Japanese style uniform actually has precedent for wear in China (if you look at the uniforms of the Shaolin monks, you will see that they are not button up, but rather wrap around style). Secondly, it matters very little what you wear, but more importantly what you do...

Anyway.

I was watching a video of a BBC special done on martial arts, and in one episode they were interviewing a Xingyi, Taiji and Bagua teacher in Taiwan. After a few minutes of narration, they began showing his students demonstrating their methods...

Guess what they were wearing...

They were wearing a white Karate style uniform, though it had dark cross stitching on the back and shoulders (kind of like what is worn in Kyudo or Iaido sometimes...)

Just curious what others think on the issue... I know the NHB people won't care, but I was wondering what other "traditionalists" like myself thought...

Thanks!

:samurai: :samurai:
 

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Joined
Aug 29, 2001
Messages
13,461
Reaction score
730
Location
Athol, Ma. USA
I think we have covered uniforms in a couple other theads but I'll answear .
When I was first trained ther only uniforms around where the Japanese type. Later the Chinese became easier to obtain and in the last few years the Filipino uniform can be found. I'm lucky haveing traing in all three areas and am able to where which ever I choose , however My students only where the Japanese type. My choice and that of my instructer . If and when they reach Black Belt they may wear the other two. Yes I teach a Fhilipino system, but we do preform throws ,sweeps, etc. The price is right also.
 

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Joined
Sep 1, 2001
Messages
4,526
Reaction score
27
Location
Florida
Originally posted by Yiliquan1

Secondly, it matters very little what you wear, but more importantly what you do...

I think you covered everything right there rather nicely. :)

Cthulhu
 
C

chufeng

Guest
If it's functional and a good value for the money spent...it doesn't matter...

:asian:
chufeng
 
R

RyuShiKan

Guest
Originally posted by Yiliquan1



I was watching a video of a BBC special done on martial arts, and in one episode they were interviewing a Xingyi, Taiji and Bagua teacher in Taiwan. After a few minutes of narration, they began showing his students demonstrating their methods...

Guess what they were wearing...

They were wearing a white Karate style uniform, though it had dark cross stitching on the back and shoulders (kind of like what is worn in Kyudo or Iaido sometimes...)


Did you happen to notice the kanji on the back of some of the uniforms?
The word Tode (Karate-old style) was written on the back.
 
OP
Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Joined
Dec 4, 2001
Messages
1,711
Reaction score
30
Location
Fort Lewis, Washington
The Chinese style uniform, while comfy and appropriate for most activities, is prone to having the buttons torn/ripped from the rest of the jacket during aggressive grappling/chin na/shuai chiao training. Likewise, while the sashes we wear are, at the senior levels, often made of material that has some elasticity to them, they are prone to coming untied at rather inopportune moments.

My ensemble of choice is a black judogi with a traditional belt. Heavy duty, soaks up the sweat (and I sweat like a pig in an oven just stretching!), takes a beating, and the belt never has come untied on me once...

:samurai: :samurai:
 
OP
Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Joined
Dec 4, 2001
Messages
1,711
Reaction score
30
Location
Fort Lewis, Washington
Originally posted by RyuShiKan

Did you happen to notice the kanji on the back of some of the uniforms?
The word Tode (Karate-old style) was written on the back.

Hadn't noticed the Tode reference... I was busy watching their movements, taking inspiration from their stuff, the stuff we have been working on, and some things I have been thinking about lately in regards to Xingyi, Taiji and Bagua... But I did notice they had the kanji on the back (just not what it said).

Since we have headed that way, I know that it is common in Japanese dojos to have kanji on the breast of the jacket for the name of the style/school/etc., and I know that TKD folks typically emblazon all manner of things on their uniforms ("Korea," "Tae Kwon Do," "ATA," etc.)... I know other folks do the same to their belts as well, with either names of systems or the individual's name translated into Japanese/Chinese/Korean...

Thoughts?

Just curious...

:samurai: :samurai:
 
R

RyuShiKan

Guest
Originally posted by Yiliquan1



Since we have headed that way, I know that it is common in Japanese dojos to have kanji on the breast of the jacket for the name of the style/school/etc., and I know that TKD folks typically emblazon all manner of things on their uniforms ("Korea," "Tae Kwon Do," "ATA," etc.)... I know other folks do the same to their belts as well, with either names of systems or the individual's name translated into Japanese/Chinese/Korean...

Thoughts?


I don't mind as long as there is not an excessive amount.

I have seen some Japanese BBJ guys that wear uniforms that look more like Stock Cars at the Indy 500 with all the patches and writing.
 
OP
Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Joined
Dec 4, 2001
Messages
1,711
Reaction score
30
Location
Fort Lewis, Washington
Our school has always been "patch lite." We had our school patch, and some folks had additional things (like an instructor or assistant instructor patch, or an old association patch), but that was it. Period. So I have been "raised" with a spartan look being the preferred appearance (you saw my judogi the other night... not even a school patch! The (Fat)Man In Black, that's me!).

I admit that the kanji names on the belt looks sharp, but there are so many people that do things like that along with the Indy 500 ensemble that it begins to look cheesy and cheap...

Some other things I have seen in Japan have been cool... Kanji on the back of the collar of the jacket, or on the rear hip of the pants, denoting who the darn thing belongs to; embroidered kanji of the style or school on the jacket front, either the lapel or the breast.

But patches on both breasts, on the sleeves, the pant legs, that is just a little much... Not too hip on national flags, either. That would be fine on a "civilian" jacket, but not on a training uniform. Not sure why that bothers me, but it does (maybe because the only people I have ever seen with them have been folks with Indy 500 uniforms...).

:samurai: :samurai:
 
R

RyuShiKan

Guest
Originally posted by Yiliquan1

The (Fat)Man In Black, that's me!).


Now all you need is some (F) MIB sunglasses......
So if you are the (Fat)Man In Black, does that make me the (Fat) Man in White?
 
OP
Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Joined
Dec 4, 2001
Messages
1,711
Reaction score
30
Location
Fort Lewis, Washington
Originally posted by RyuShiKan

Now all you need is some (F) MIB sunglasses......
So if you are the (Fat)Man In Black, does that make me the (Fat) Man in White?

I need one of those nifty hypnosis doo-hickeys, too...

And an itty bitty gun that blows HUGE holes in things... On second thought, wait until I leave Japan for that one... Too many uses for it in frustrated moments during bad Tomei traffic.

:samurai: :samurai:
 
S

sweeper

Guest
one question regarding uniforms, why is it that alot of tournaments don't alow black uniforms? Back when I did judo if I recal the only colors alowed were blue and white ina tournament. but some rules I have heard about simply don't alow black..
 
R

RyuShiKan

Guest
Originally posted by sweeper

one question regarding uniforms, why is it that alot of tournaments don't alow black uniforms?

One reason in karate is that the white uniform is the most common, and probably the most accepted as the "official" uniform.


Originally posted by sweeper

Back when I did judo if I recal the only colors alowed were blue and white ina tournament. but some rules I have heard about simply don't alow black..


The first time I heard of blue judo gis being used was from a European tournament, to which the ultra conservative Japan Judo Federation about had kittens over.
Finally it was accepted in Japan, possibly due to the IOC allowing them to be used. However for non International tournaments only white is used in Japan.

Black gis in Japan are generally associated with Ninja which contrary to popular belief are not well received as martial artists here in Japan.
 
OP
Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Joined
Dec 4, 2001
Messages
1,711
Reaction score
30
Location
Fort Lewis, Washington
We wear black for several reasons...

First, the only color kung fu uniforms used to come in were black.

Second, when we bought karate style uniforms because we couldn't get Chinese style ones, we opted for black because we didn't want to be considered to be karate people calling what we did kung fu...

Third, kung fu uniforms still only come in black...

There are/were some perks to wearing a black uniform at invitational or open tournaments back in the 80's... Everyone else was wearing "traditional" uniforms (though some Indy 500 uniforms were present as well), and it was something of a psychological advantage when we squared off against them - they were unsure of what we were doing, and it gave us the edge more than once...

Now, I do it partially because they don't appear to get as dirty as a white uniform would, especially after being tossed on the ground repeatedly during training, and partially because it is the "official" and "authorized" color for our school...

:samurai: :samurai:
 
R

RyuShiKan

Guest
Originally posted by Yiliquan1


Second, when we bought karate style uniforms because we couldn't get Chinese style ones, we opted for black because we didn't want to be considered to be karate people calling what we did kung fu...

Good idea.


Originally posted by Yiliquan1

Now, I do it partially because they don't appear to get as dirty as a white uniform would, especially after being tossed on the ground repeatedly during training, and partially because it is the "official" and "authorized" color for our school...

We used to have several different combinations of uniforms over the years.
"traditional" white, white on black, black on black, now we are using all white again.

The black were really easy to wear since dirt or spots never showed up, kind of wish we had those again.

One or two patches are OK I think if they are your association's, but all the advertising patches I see just doesn't bode well with martial philosophy
 
OP
Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Joined
Dec 4, 2001
Messages
1,711
Reaction score
30
Location
Fort Lewis, Washington
I have to admit that the old pants your association used to wear are pretty cool... no belt, either, which I liked a lot, though our only real purpose for wearing one is for breathing training...

:samurai: :samurai:
 
T

theneuhauser

Guest
we have white tops with black bottoms- i really have a hard time with that, why? i hate doing laundry all the time. we practice cma's and everyone wears shoes, bythe time i leave training, most of my shirt is covered with foot dirt.


i think that as long as everyone wears something similar, whatever it may be, then it works for me!
 
S

SolidTiger

Guest
I think people should be able to wear what they won't,as long
as they could do what everybody else do...

Thank You

SolidTiger
 
S

sweeper

Guest
I duno, I think the double thick judo pants are pritty cool :) never would tear out the crotch of those.
 
Top