Leveling The Clouds- Left Punch

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the way I perform this technique. I thought that we could discuss any differences you may have as well as any fine points you'd like to share. :)

1) Right foot steps to 2 o'clock into a hard bow as you deliver a left outward knife hand block and counter grab the wrist.

2) Pivot into a left hard bow as you deliver a right raking claw to the face.

3) Reverse into a right hard bow delivering a right backfist to the face.

4) Reverse back to a left hard bow as you deliver a right inverted palm strike to the opponents elbow.

5) Cover out.

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Th's pretty much how I did it. Although instead of a backfist, we used the bent wrist, with the wrist in the shape of the crane.

Brian Jones

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I prefer to slip the punch (forward soft bow stance) and use a deflection block and grab--that way if I miss the grab then I can convert to an acceleration parry (like in Slashing Cougar). I take the heel claw through the cervical vertebrae as a first target and the ear as the second target of choice.

Grabbing a punch is always tricky and I like the lessons within our curriculum. We either have distance to protect us if we miss the grab (Kung Fu Cross), a follow up technique if we miss and are close (Leap of Death/Miss of the Leap) or, sometimes the technique works either way (Windmill Guard).

Jim

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I prefer to slip the punch (forward soft bow stance) and use a deflection block and grab--that way if I miss the grab then I can convert to an acceleration parry (like in Slashing Cougar). I take the heel claw through the cervical vertebrae as a first target and the ear as the second target of choice.

Grabbing a punch is always tricky and I like the lessons within our curriculum. We either have distance to protect us if we miss the grab (Kung Fu Cross), a follow up technique if we miss and are close (Leap of Death/Miss of the Leap) or, sometimes the technique works either way (Windmill Guard).

Jim

I learned it with the deflection block. I take the heel claw through either the cervical vertebrae or the hinge of the jaw, depending on where the opponent's head is facing.

I like the idea of the bent wrist instead of the backfist. Especially if the ox-jaw motion is employed!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is the way I perform this technique. I thought that we could discuss any differences you may have as well as any fine points you'd like to share. :)

1) Right foot steps to 2 o'clock into a hard bow as you deliver a left outward knife hand block and counter grab the wrist.

2) Pivot into a left hard bow as you deliver a right raking claw to the face.

3) Reverse into a right hard bow delivering a right backfist to the face.

4) Reverse back to a left hard bow as you deliver a right inverted palm strike to the opponents elbow.

5) Cover out.
Right on! Lot of through not to implications.:ultracool

Latest Discussions