Cranky old people rejoice!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
Sorry, I dont find this amusing.

Keep finding ways to treat young people like they're inhuman, they'll continue to treat adults with indifference. Why do you think they use the iPods?

I understand your point. The story I read talked about a store using it to combat persistent loitering by teens that was annoying to customers. Is that a bad idea?

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My daughter's in high school, and she recently told me that the police prevent them from "hanging out" on the streets in the town during their lunch periods. Apparently the merchants don't like it because it "scares away the customers."

I said, "Really? You ARE the customers."

I suggested the thousand or so high schoolers stop buying their pizza, ice cream, bagels, Chinese food, burgers, and sodas for a week or two, and instead bring lunch from home. Then see how happy the merchants are without those horrid loiterers.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think this is a bad idea - there are certain frequencies and colors and odors and such that can bring about seizures, so ... I'm obviously not a huge fan of this idea.

Though it sure would be nice to find a way to keep the high schoolers from coming onto our property at a rental, smoking dope and leaving their trash around.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I understand your point. The story I read talked about a store using it to combat persistent loitering by teens that was annoying to customers. Is that a bad idea?

Well, where the story mentioned that the loitering consisted of mouthing off to passerbys and the like, I would suggest the store owner call the cops.

I've seen telecommercials for similar devices that use soundwaves to drive off cockroaches, rodents, and other pests from homes. It's just kinda telling to me for people to endorse a device that equates young people with cockroaches.

And let's not kid ourselves, if these things are for real and did go on the market, they wont only be used against trash-talking punks; plenty of yuppy retail storeowners who want to attract the right clientel will be hooking these babies up to clear their stores of any teenagers. Of course, it's discrimination, prejudice in the extreme, but teens can't vote, so who cares, right?

I really don't think these things would make it to the market though; if the younger the harsher, and these things are supposed to be annoying enough to drive off late teens, what would they do to passing 12-year-olds, or toddlers?

But I digress, as usual. I suppose I should put it this way: if they came out with a device that emits sound waves that would only be annoying to women, or blacks, or gays, or hispanics, I'd expect that such devices would be, to put it lightly, frowned upon. Please tell me why one that does this to teens is any different, or any less immoral.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
My daughter's in high school, and she recently told me that the police prevent them from "hanging out" on the streets in the town during their lunch periods. Apparently the merchants don't like it because it "scares away the customers."

I said, "Really? You ARE the customers."

I suggested the thousand or so high schoolers stop buying their pizza, ice cream, bagels, Chinese food, burgers, and sodas for a week or two, and instead bring lunch from home. Then see how happy the merchants are without those horrid loiterers.

My undergrad college was right across the street from an extremely yuppy development; apartments and storefronts located right there. Bunch of students would always hang out in the development; coffee shop and pizza joint mostly.

Anyway, in our class was a girl who had a notoriously obnoxious laugh; anytime she heard a joke, I had to cringe. Imagine Elmer Fudd in a blender and you're almost in the ballpark. I heard one day that she'd been asked to leave the yuppy development by a patrolling cop. Why you ask? Apparently her laughing was annoying residents/customers of the development, and they wanted her gone. For laughing. Not harrassing passerbys, shoplifting, or even loitering after hours. Laughing.

This is the image that comes to my mind when I read about this device.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
Well, where the story mentioned that the loitering consisted of mouthing off to passerbys and the like, I would suggest the store owner call the cops.

In a large city, this may be a low priority issue for t he police. I understand the claim that it's discriminatory...yet, I also see the valeu in it. I am conflicted!

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
arnisador said:
In a large city, this may be a low priority issue for t he police. I understand the claim that it's discriminatory...yet, I also see the valeu in it. I am conflicted!

Well I think this is starting to get into collateral issues; what you bring up here is whether the constraints on police should be merit enough for private citizens to start using these things on their own. A valid discussion, but collateral to the issue of the mentality behind this device's invention in the first place. I ask again, it's not cool to make machines that create irritations to drive of blacks, women, gays, hispanics, immigrants, handicapped, or pretty much any other minority group; why are so many in this thread wondering how they can get such a device that works against teens (and, according to the cut-off point of 30, young people in general)?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:

I've seen telecommercials for similar devices that use soundwaves to drive off cockroaches, rodents, and other pests from homes. It's just kinda telling to me for people to endorse a device that equates young people with cockroaches.

And let's not kid ourselves, if these things are for real and did go on the market, they wont only be used against trash-talking punks; plenty of yuppy retail storeowners who want to attract the right clientel will be hooking these babies up to clear their stores of any teenagers. Of course, it's discrimination, prejudice in the extreme, but teens can't vote, so who cares, right?

I really don't think these things would make it to the market though; if the younger the harsher, and these things are supposed to be annoying enough to drive off late teens, what would they do to passing 12-year-olds, or toddlers?

But I digress, as usual. I suppose I should put it this way: if they came out with a device that emits sound waves that would only be annoying to women, or blacks, or gays, or hispanics, I'd expect that such devices would be, to put it lightly, frowned upon. Please tell me why one that does this to teens is any different, or any less immoral.
Quite frankly, who a store does and does not want to cater to is their business. As a consumer, you also have the right not to buy their services.

Nothing in this equation, however, necessitates the involvment of legislation of any sort. For example, if a store utilizes a device of this sort, and the community decides it doesn't like the idea, it won't take long before the market takes care of the problem.

When we start using the term 'discrimination' I start visualizing the term 'litigation'. Again, a store has every right to discriminate which clientele it wants to serve (with the exception of certain politically protected classes).

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In America, there are a zillion excuses to sue...this is another of them. I predict that as soon as a lawsuit is filed, these devices will disappear.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Quite frankly, who a store does and does not want to cater to is their business. As a consumer, you also have the right not to buy their services.

Nothing in this equation, however, necessitates the involvment of legislation of any sort. For example, if a store utilizes a device of this sort, and the community decides it doesn't like the idea, it won't take long before the market takes care of the problem.

When we start using the term 'discrimination' I start visualizing the term 'litigation'. Again, a store has every right to discriminate which clientele it wants to serve (with the exception of certain politically protected classes).

I didn't bring up legislation, you did. On the subject though, I'm amused by the fantasy of letting the economic market take care of social issues. God knows that that's worked in the past.

As far as the storeowner's rights, I'll just say that I'm not quite so certain that using a device that emits irritating sound waves to everyone within an age group is as acceptable as just putting a sign saying "No teens allowed." Just cause they have the right to discriminate doesn't mean they can use whatever means they choose to enforce it.

Anyway, whether you use discrimination in a legal sense or as just meaning making baseless assumptions, my whole point was to show that endorsing these devices is essentially telling young people that they're unwanted, inhuman, and undeserving of any respect, just by being in that age group. If you have no problem with this then, hey, it's your karma.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
I didn't bring up legislation, you did. On the subject though, I'm amused by the fantasy of letting the economic market take care of social issues. God knows that that's worked in the past.

As far as the storeowner's rights, I'll just say that I'm not quite so certain that using a device that emits irritating sound waves to everyone within an age group is as acceptable as just putting a sign saying "No teens allowed." Just cause they have the right to discriminate doesn't mean they can use whatever means they choose to enforce it.

Anyway, whether you use discrimination in a legal sense or as just meaning making baseless assumptions, my whole point was to show that endorsing these devices is essentially telling young people that they're unwanted, inhuman, and undeserving of any respect, just by being in that age group. If you have no problem with this then, hey, it's your karma.
Social issues are best dealt with by the community. As for telling young people they aren't wanted in a certain store, that's the business of the store owner. Turning it in to a huge social drama is creating a tempest in a tea pot.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Social issues are best dealt with by the community.

Reason being, other than to simply see status quo problems continued? I mean, obviously racism in the south would have been best dealt with by leaving it to the lynch mobs, right?

As for telling young people they aren't wanted in a certain store, that's the business of the store owner.
Sure, but not by using irritating sound waves to drive them off like so many rodents. The right to tell someone to get the hell out doesn't give you a right to point a harmless taser at them. Again, you seem to miss that I'm not arguing about rights here, just what's morally being endorsed.

Turning it in to a huge social drama is creating a tempest in a tea pot.

Well I'm sure this is just something funny for you to laugh about, and I wouldn't doubt you'd be buying one yourself, but you're not at or near the targetted age group; as a 24-year-old law student, I could be affected by them. More likely to have them turned on for me, too; I look younger than my age. I just got involved in this thread to point out to all the "where can I get one" folks exactly what these things are saying to teens. If you're cool with it then, like I said before, it's your karma.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
Reason being, other than to simply see status quo problems continued? I mean, obviously racism in the south would have been best dealt with by leaving it to the lynch mobs, right?
It seems you may have a problem with reality, that is if you're equating a noise maker box with racial lynching. Maybe a little perspective would help you. Hyperbole does not an argument make.

As for who does decide issues of morality, who do you suggest that responsibility fall on? You?

RandomPhantom700 said:
Sure, but not by using irritating sound waves to drive them off like so many rodents. The right to tell someone to get the hell out doesn't give you a right to point a harmless taser at them. Again, you seem to miss that I'm not arguing about rights here, just what's morally being endorsed.
The store owner can certainly use such a device if all it does is annoy the individual. Again, hyperbole in your choice of comparing an annoying box to tasering someone is a false argument.

RandomPhantom700 said:
Well I'm sure this is just something funny for you to laugh about, and I wouldn't doubt you'd be buying one yourself, but you're not at or near the targetted age group; as a 24-year-old law student, I could be affected by them. More likely to have them turned on for me, too; I look younger than my age. I just got involved in this thread to point out to all the "where can I get one" folks exactly what these things are saying to teens. If you're cool with it then, like I said before, it's your karma.

In the future, try not to base your arguments on wild comparisons, such as comparing a noisy annoying box to racial lynchings. That's pretty much over the top. And, quite frankly, a bit of an insult to those victims and families of real racial lynchings.

Next thing you know we'll be hearing how this is equatable to the holocaust. Regardless of what they may teach you in law school, not everything is a civil rights litigation issue. Sometimes, an annoying noisy box...is JUST an annoying noisy box.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No, I'm not equating the irritating noise (more than an annoyance, as it's designed to drive them away) with lynching. The comment about racism in the south was to illustrate the problem with leaving social issues up to the same public that created such issues in the first place.

I chose tasering because it's the only other example of a no-harm crowd control device I could think of. I'd say shooting them would be an unfair comparison.

However, as you'd rather nitpick the examples I used rather than address the points, I believe we're done.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it would be a situational call. Consider this: Store owner sees a group of kids outside his store, hanging out, being loud and rude. He tells them to leave, they tell him to **** off... He calls the cops, and the cops tell him that they can't do anything if the kids aren't actually committing a crime. IMO, the store owner would be entirely justified in using such a device at this point.
Of course, I've been known to deal with loud neighbors who were unyielding to complaints by leaving my apartment for a couple of hours with the stereo speakers up against a shared wall and Sabbath cranked.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Now the question is would their be a fuss if their was something to drive "old" people away...hmmm

Personally I can ignore more than most people I know....so they would have to pretty much beat me with a stick to get me away....lol

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
No, I'm not equating the irritating noise (more than an annoyance, as it's designed to drive them away) with lynching. The comment about racism in the south was to illustrate the problem with leaving social issues up to the same public that created such issues in the first place.

I chose tasering because it's the only other example of a no-harm crowd control device I could think of. I'd say shooting them would be an unfair comparison.

However, as you'd rather nitpick the examples I used rather than address the points, I believe we're done.
I'd say it was all an unfair comparison. Also, you never answered my question about who, other than the community, decides moral issues?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlueDragon1981 said:
Now the question is would their be a fuss if their was something to drive "old" people away...hmmm

Personally I can ignore more than most people I know....so they would have to pretty much beat me with a stick to get me away....lol
Lots of things drive old people away. That's never been a real question.

Latest Discussions