Face Transplant.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't understand why there would be a debate over ethics either. It's no different than any other type of organ transplant.

The recipient will NOT look like the donor. What is person looks like is dependent on bone and muscle structure, not skin. I think it gives great hope and opportunity for those who have been horribly disfigured.

Any argument for having the donors "face" is unfounded and mislabled. Maybe if they more accurately described the procedure as a facial skin transplant, instead of a face transplant, a lot of the controversy could be avoided.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I honestly do not understand the ethical concern here. So they look like someone else? They understand that, and they looked disfigured beforehand. If they know the risks, what's the issue?
It seems to me that the concern is that the ethics panel in question had determined an order of appropriateness, in that they felt reconstructive surgery ought to be tried first before attempting the transplant. The difficulty, I suppose, is that they fear the potential for the host body to reject the transplanted material, which may perhaps leave the victim in worse shape than before.

I understand where they're coming from in this circumstance, only because the procedure is untested and new. Once everyone becomes more comfortable and familiar with it, and once it's proven to be a safe and effective solution, I imagine everyone will calm down a bit.

Insofar as looking like someone else, they actually said in the article that they expect the underlying bone structure to contribute more to the way she will look than the new skin itself.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think people are always scared of change or new technology, some kind of appocolypse fear or something. Its a great thing, and as long as its proven safe and effective, I'm all for it.

7sm

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think if it is ok to get selective surgery on your face, and the reconstructive surgery may put them at risk due to length or what ahve you , then the face transplant is not more then a normal skin graft in my opinion.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I think if it is ok to get selective surgery on your face, and the reconstructive surgery may put them at risk due to length or what ahve you , then the face transplant is not more then a normal skin graft in my opinion.

Exactly. It's a skin graft. The risks involved are no greater than any other organ transplant and people have died having cosmetic facial surgery. So if someone who has been disfigured chooses a facial skin graft how does it differ ethically or differ in risks than any other procedure?

The person knows there is a chance the body could reject the transplant just like a person who receives a kidney, liver, eyes, or any other organ knows there is a chance of rejection. A person who chooses cosmetic facial surgery knows there is risk for error and possibly ending up worse than before (it happens frequently) and there are risks associated with anesthesia and infection. The author of the book "The First Wives Club" died last year while having a face lift.

I think the reason this is controversial is (1) it's something new. But new medical advances are constantly being made. Thank God. and (2) it is being termed a "face transplant" which sounds weird. More like an identity change when it's not.

I feel for those people whose lives are so ruined by some horrible accident that they feel the benefits of a transplant outweigh the risks. I'm sorry they have to be deal with controversy over the procedure on top of it.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand the risks and the contraversy somewhat.

But, look at it this way. Someone who had no hope of having a normal productive good life has benefitted from someone whose life was over. It was a final gift from that person's family that has allowed this woman an opportunity to have hers back. This isn't a "nose job" because she is vain. It is necessary if this woman wants to live a productive life. This, to me, is no different then donating any other organ from your body should the worst thing happen and you no longer need it. We donated my grandmother's eyes when she passed. It felt good to know someone else would be able to see because of her.

I say, sign your donor cards everyone. Giving life to someone else is important. :)

just my 2 cents

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I personally do not see what the controversy is. I read about this in my local paper today. It said that the woman was mauled by her dog, leaving her unable to chew food. She was also having trouble speaking as well as drinking liquids. This procedure was IMO necessary if this woman wanted to live. Seems like it is more productive than some of the other procedures people go through.

Mike

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree. The more I've read about it, the more it seems a reasonable thing to have done.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051201/ap_on_he_me/face_transplant_15

Surgeons Criticized Over Face Transplant

I honestly do not understand the ethical concern here. So they look like someone else? They understand that, and they looked disfigured beforehand. If they know the risks, what's the issue?

They took so much care to make a proper match, not to mention months of talking to psychiatrists to prepare her for possible complications. They wanted to do it, she wanted it done, she was fully educated, what more could be asked?

And my goodness, who would have a woman stay faceless?

G

Gary Crawford

I hope it becomes more common and covered by insurance. Then I can get one and won't need to wear a beard!

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
And my goodness, who would have a woman stay faceless?

Well, that bolis it down to its essence. Indeed, who would wish that on someone? The counterargument seems to be that she should have had standard reconstructive surgery first...I say, if she felt this was a better way to go despite the risks, it's her call (and the donor's family's).

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Well, that bolis it down to its essence. Indeed, who would wish that on someone? The counterargument seems to be that she should have had standard reconstructive surgery first...I say, if she felt this was a better way to go despite the risks, it's her call (and the donor's family's).

I agree!! Why make this woman have to go through 2 surguries, if she could have 1 and the problem be solved.

Mike

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dobermann said:
it is great that this woman has a life again. but starts smoking as soon as she can.. :D

Haha. I heard that too. She really has received a wonderful opportunity for some *normalcy*, however, smoking while she's still in the very early stages of this transplant is uh...how should I say....stupid? I know the doctors can't control her decisions, and I understand nicotine addiction, but with the prospect of her body rejecting the new face and smoking increasing that chance, I'd pick the withdrawl...(besides, when was the last time she smoked anyway? better to leave that behind)

In any case, the pictures are amazing and the procedure is another step at providing a life for those who have been horribly disfigured. Kudos to the docs.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Hey, people with emphysema smoke through their tracheostomies, ya know?

Blows your mind doesn't it? Still, for them, times up anyway, ( not that it's not just as stupid...but you know what I mean) this woman could possibly destroy the second chance she was given...hope it doesn't, for her sake.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope that she can resume her normal life and be happy
with this new outcome. Having witnessed a dog mauling
and the twenty or so surgeries it took a friend to get
to normal I am happy for her that they were able to
get her feeling better about herself with a lot less
surgery. Good job, Doctor's.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com