CQB Training

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just saw this video of a guy being taken down after running over a cop's foot
because he did not want to get a ticket.

http://youtu.be/3lKwkn6JT74

But it got me thinking about CQB. If that guy was stupid enough to fight back, it could have been bad all around.
I was wondering what all of you do for CQB training?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't really understand the question. For self-defense issues, I do my martial art(s), both of which address conflict at these ranges. But I assume that would be the answer for most of us on these boards except for those who train in something very range specific like kyudo or kendo or fencing. Does your art need some sort of specialized training to deal with this range? I find that a bit odd because most martial arts deal with close range stand-up, or I at least they should.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I guess I don't really understand the question. For self-defense issues, I do my martial art(s), both of which address conflict at these ranges. But I assume that would be the answer for most of us on these boards except for those who train in something very range specific like kyudo or kendo or fencing. Does your art need some sort of specialized training to deal with this range? I find that a bit odd because most martial arts deal with close range stand-up, or I at least they should.

Well, for instance, the whole thing in that video took place between two cars. Is there any real way to prepare for that? I have seen one youtube where a group set up a fake bar with mats to create
night club scenario. Don't know where that clip is, but it was really interesting.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Got a corner in your dojo? We have been known to practice in the bathroom, the little hallway to the bathroom, the waiting room, the locker room, or the alley behind the dojo.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, for instance, the whole thing in that video took place between two cars. Is there any real way to prepare for that? I have seen one youtube where a group set up a fake bar with mats to create
night club scenario. Don't know where that clip is, but it was really interesting.
I dont really see how it would be any different from just training up close and refraining from moving around too much. Except that theres cars to stop Your opponent from getting away easily. Wouldnt that be helpful, for the police officer?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hmm, I've done training in cars(grappling gets interesting), in hallways, in bathroom stalls, in front of urinals, in parking lots, in motel rooms, etc. You can setup a "cage" with kicking shields to simulate working between cars, or step outside and use your cars.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Once you recognise the issue replicating it in training is only limited by your imagination.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
This kind of situation is difficult to train for as it isn't really training that's needed. In my opinion, it isn't a training issue but an issue of common sense. Why in the world would you assume you can use your foot as a chock to stop a car from moving? Or that a driver who is attempting to inch a car forward against you might not run over your foot or your whole body? Did the cop think he was superman?

PoolMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That is a strange video. Don't know what that guy was thinking. He got what he deserved.

As far as CQB training goes the academy I train at focuses on Simultaneous Close Quarter Combat (SCQC). We have a CQC cage that we use for that.

Latest Discussions