Could You Survive?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whithout money, that is. Well...this guy does. Intersting if you have time to read the whole story.

http://men.style.com/details/features/landing?id=content_9817&mbid=yhp&npu=1

"When I lived with money, I was always lacking," he writes. "Money
represents lack. Money represents things in the past (debt) and things in
the future (credit), but money never represents what is present."

HE WASN'T ALWAYS THIS WAY. SUELO graduated from the University of Colorado
with a degree in anthropology, he thought about becoming a doctor, he held
jobs, he had cash and a bank account. In 1987, after several years as an
assistant lab technician in Colorado hospitals, he joined the Peace Corps
and was posted to an Ecuadoran village high in the Andes. He was charged
with monitoring the health of tribespeople in the area, teaching first aid
and nutrition, and handing out medicine where needed; his proudest
achievement was delivering three babies. The tribe had been getting richer
for a decade, and during the two years he was there he watched as the
villagers began to adopt the economics of modernity. They sold the food from
their fields-quinoa, potatoes, corn, lentils-for cash, which they used to
purchase things they didn't need, as Suelo describes it. They bought soda
and white flour and refined sugar and noodles and big bags of MSG to flavor
the starchy meals. They bought TVs. The more they spent, says Suelo, the
more their health declined. He could measure the deterioration on his
charts. "It looked," he says, "like money was impoverishing them."

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Am I the only one attracted to this lifestyle? I think this guy deserves some major props. No stress, except for searching for food. Listening to the waterfall outside the front door would be great...as long as no wild animals kill you. I love how he goes to the local library to use the internet for free to get his online fix.

:piratetyp

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Progress can be good or bad....people have the right to spend there own money....

NO one wants to remind the same..everyone wants a better and easlier life....

Natural process to grow more than you need...barter,trade, or cash...to get better things in life....

Aloha,

will trade eggplant for chickens? ......perfer frozen kind...

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great story!

I think it takes a special person to do something like that. And I think that Suelo's lifestyle is attractive in the sense that every day, he is his own man. He answers to no one. He is a country unto himself. Unless physically confronted by others, he's completely free.

Maybe I can do it. But right now, like the author of this story, I like some of the comforts of modern living.

But it would be nice to think that we can all do this: live away from money. Maybe take away one of the "perks" of modern living like television, processed foods and begin doing things yourself. If you want a book shelf, make your own with scrap wood. If you want nice vegetables, then grow them.

It seems that Suelo operates with a group of friends that find his way of living acceptable, as well as holding on to as little attachment as possible. Many Americans simply can't do that.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that this country should go down that route, but maybe take little lessons from such a lifestyle, like not being mindless consumers.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I lived on no money its called being homeless. Doesn't take much to live somewhere in a cave. But it is hard to live with no money on the streets.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And when Daniel Suelo get's sick? What does he do?

When Daniel Suelo gets robbed, what does he do?

And when a natural disaster hits Daniel Suelo, what does he do?

Do you guys want to be happy?

Live within your means.

Don't go into debt.

If you want something, save till you can buy it.

And don't worry about what your neighbor has that you don't.

But guys, "no man is an island" is a true statement. John Donne, in 1642, knew a thing or two about this.

"All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...
As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness....
No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

No, caves are not the answer. Neither is being a hermit. Just live within your means and spend time with those around you.

Deaf

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
And when Daniel Suelo get's sick? What does he do?

he either gets better or dies. i'm sure he's aware of this.

When Daniel Suelo gets robbed, what does he do?

robbed of what?

And when a natural disaster hits Daniel Suelo, what does he do?

go to the back of the cave?

Do you guys want to be happy?

Live within your means.

Don't go into debt.

If you want something, save till you can buy it.

And don't worry about what your neighbor has that you don't.

generally good advice, but there is no universal rule to being happy. different strokes for different folks. if he likes living property-free over being a professional consumer, good for him.

But guys, "no man is an island" is a true statement. John Donne, in 1642, knew a thing or two about this.

"All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...
As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness....
No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

No, caves are not the answer. Neither is being a hermit. Just live within your means and spend time with those around you.

caves aren't the answer, unless you really want to live in a cave. then caves probably are the answer.

Deaf

regards,

jf

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Survival in that situation is by attitude. Everything I know about survival training is about attitude, you have to be determined to survive. I don’t doubt that many of us here could do it if we had to, but I would be surprised also if any of us wanted to do it.

I did all the outdoors stuff in my teens, grab a canoe, a tent and some food and go out for a week. I really don’t want to now. I like my mattress, my heat, human company, my AC, chocolate and other foods and entertainment whenever I need it. Oh and hot showers too.

If forced into the situation I could survive, but I’d rather not thank you. It all seems to be written as a very idealistic view of the world.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If he were truly living off the land, I could see it - but the article clearly states that he scavenges on the streets. I would be much more impressed if he lived completely off the land; as it is, I see little difference between him living in his cave and living under an overpass near a park where he could find similar plants, insects, and small animals.

OP
celtic_crippler

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not exactly how I imagined the thread would go, lol.

I thought the most interesing part was

"It looked," he says, "like money was impoverishing them."

Presents a very interesting socio-economic conundrum, doesn't it?

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
jarrod,

Robbed of what? His pack, his belongings, his life. There are people will murder for $10 bucks, and what he had in that photo was worth more than that.

Go back to the cave in a natural disaster? Son, the cave may be part of that disaster, like a wild fire, earthquake, flood.

Gets better or dies? Jarrod, people do mighty freeky things when they think they are going to die. Most people will beg you to save them.

Even the most adventurist of the Vikings who came to the new world first, came in groups and not alone.

Deaf