Cost

S

SingingTiger

Guest
How much have you spent on Kenpo training, and what level has that amount of money gotten you to? I think I've spent about $1800 so far; I'm a blue belt now, and at the rate I've progressed and expect to progress, I'm guessing a black belt will end up costing around 10 grand. I was just wondering how widely the numbers vary.

If you haven't spent any money on training, please give me the name of your instructor. :)

Rich
 
OP
M

meni

Guest
Originally posted by SingingTiger

How much have you spent on Kenpo training, and what level has that amount of money gotten you to? I think I've spent about $1800 so far; I'm a blue belt now, and at the rate I've progressed and expect to progress, I'm guessing a black belt will end up costing around 10 grand. I was just wondering how widely the numbers vary.

If you haven't spent any money on training, please give me the name of your instructor. :)

Rich


can you please explain how in the world you get to this numbers?

10000 $$
????
 
OP
B

brianhunter

Guest
Originally posted by SingingTiger

If you haven't spent any money on training, please give me the name of your instructor. :)

Rich [/B]

Jeff Kyle HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
 

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2001
Messages
5,175
Reaction score
849
Location
Kennewick, WA
Well an easy calculation is how much is your monthly dues, times how many months you have been in.

So it took me about 5 years for first black at $40/month. Which comes out to $2400 (US). Our black belts don't pay fees, so my time since then hasn't been an issue. Then there are the assorted accessory costs (the three gis, the practice sword, plus assorted other uniforms and toys) so lets toss in another say $500.

Do we include gas money? I drive 80 miles round trip three days a week for training, in a truck that gets twenty miles to the gallon.
3 times * 4 gallons * $1.40 * 312 (weeks training) = $5241. Ouch, ok, lets pro-rate that because I will also pick up groceries after class, lets cut it in half ($2620).

OK, so for me, my training has cost around $5500, but half of that is just driving to the studio. I know people that have spent more money than that at Starbucks given the same period of time. I think my money was well spent. Just for clarification, I'm a 1st black still, going for second.

Lamont
 

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Joined
Mar 14, 2002
Messages
168
Reaction score
3
Location
Sinton, Texas
First of all, kenpo and one's quest for kenpo proficiency, can not and should not be measured in dollars and cents. Kenpo is a passion for some of us, and regardless of cost, we will continue to seek out the knowledge, practice, buy the little trinkets that state to the world that we are kenpoist, travel to the seminars, camps, and tournaments, and, all the while, not run a talley sheet to get the sum total of a lifetime of love, sweat, and passion.

Just my opinion,
Gary C.
 
OP
M

meni

Guest
Originally posted by Blindside


Do we include gas money? I drive 80 miles round trip three days a week for training, in a truck that gets twenty miles to the gallon.
3 times * 4 gallons * $1.40 * 312 (weeks training) = $5241. Ouch, ok, lets pro-rate that because I will also pick up groceries after class, lets cut it in half ($2620).



Lamont


if you adding the gas money of course you can get to this amount but I would like to know how many martial artist actually driving that far?
 

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2001
Messages
5,175
Reaction score
849
Location
Kennewick, WA
if you adding the gas money of course you can get to this amount but I would like to know how many martial artist actually driving that far?

Well sure, most don't, but most don't live in Wyoming either. :D

The question was about how much it cost you, and for me that is obviously a great expense. That is why I seperated it from the "tuition cost."

Lamont
 
OP
S

SingingTiger

Guest
Originally posted by meni

can you please explain how in the world you get to this numbers?

10000 $$
????

Sure. The dojo where I study charges $960 for a 24-week period of 1 private lesson per week as well as all the group classes you care to attend. That's roughly $1,000 each six months. Based on how far I've come and what I've seen from the higher ranks, I expect it will take me approximately 5 years to get my black belt. That's around 10 grand.

Originally posted by Blindside

OK, so for me, my training has cost around $5500, but half of that is just driving to the studio.

Thanks, Blindside, that's just what I was looking for. The Bay Area is awfully expensive, maybe I should move to Wyoming. :)

Originally posted by Kalicombat

First of all, kenpo and one's quest for kenpo proficiency, can not and should not be measured in dollars and cents.[/i]

On one hand, I agree with you, and by posting my question I didn't mean to imply that the value of one's Kenpo education can be reduced to dollars and cents.

On the other hand, don't you think it's reasonable to compare one Kenpo education to another in terms of cost? There are many variables, but if someone is paying $1,000 to get to a black belt and I look into their school and find out that they're getting a good Kenpo education, I think it's reasonable for me to question the fact that I'm paying 10 times that amount.

So far, I don't have a problem with the amount that I'm paying. I live in the Bay Area of California, which is an expensive place to do anything: it wouldn't surprise me to find out that I'm paying twice as much as people elsewhere just on the basis of location alone. I'm also studying at a very small school, which raises the cost per student, but has the benefit of more individualized instruction (I don't think I've ever been in a group class with more than 7 people, and there are usually only 3 or 4). Most importantly, I feel that I'm getting a very good education. Still, I'd like to find out just how much people are paying elsewhere.

Rich
 
OP
M

meni

Guest
Originally posted by SingingTiger

[B
So far, I don't have a problem with the amount that I'm paying. I live in the Bay Area of California, which is an expensive place to do anything: it wouldn't surprise me to find out that I'm paying twice as much as people elsewhere just on the basis of location alone. I'm also studying at a very small school, which raises the cost per student, but has the benefit of more individualized instruction (I don't think I've ever been in a group class with more than 7 people, and there are usually only 3 or 4). Most importantly, I feel that I'm getting a very good education. Still, I'd like to find out just how much people are paying elsewhere.

Rich [/B]
that a very good point a the private instruction and the cost of living factor!
 
OP
M

Michael_Browne

Guest
The national average for martial arts training varies depending on where you look for information. The cost will also depend on the economic affluency in your area. I happen to be in a pretty affluent town and I charge $129 per month. Equipment and belt exams are additional costs. Seminars and private lessons are also additional costs. Keep in mind that there are 3 other schools in my town (we have about 27 school in the area) that charge in the range of $165 per month.

There are other items to consider. Primarily, what is it worth to you? Are you getting quality instruction? How many classes are offered?

There are plenty of lame instructors that charge an ton of money, thats nothing new. There are also many great instructors that don't charge what they are worth. I spent about 3 hours with Mr. Sepulveda at a seminar recently and it cost me $25. I think I got off pretty cheap. I would have expected to pay twice that at least.

At my school we offer about 8 to 10 classes per week. Most people can only come 2 or 3 times, but some come every day.

Also, it usually is a good rule of thumb that you get what you pay for.

For me personally, I've spent many thousands of dollars on my training and it has been worth every penny. Even when I spent money to train with someone lame it was well worth it. It gave me a bench mark to gauge against.

My 2 cents, for whatever its worth.

Michael Browne
 

ikenpo

Black Belt
Joined
Apr 30, 2002
Messages
635
Reaction score
2
Location
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by meni

if you adding the gas money of course you can get to this amount but I would like to know how many martial artist actually driving that far?

Well,

I drive to Austin at least once a month for private instruction...so it isn't unheard of to drive a distance, and locally I've driven up to 30 miles each way to get to class, twice a week. It's about being willing (and able) to sacrifice.

jb:asian:
 

phoenix

Yellow Belt
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Location
Denver, CO
Originally posted by jbkenpo

Well,

I drive to Austin at least once a month for private instruction...so it isn't unheard of to drive a distance, and locally I've driven up to 30 miles each way to get to class, twice a week. It's about being willing (and able) to sacrifice.

jb:asian:

I used to live in a remote area of Colorado (Monte Vista) and travelled to Gunnison Colorado (105 miles one way) for 3 years to study kenpo. I used to go about 4-6 times per month, weather permitting. Worth every mile too.

Sean
 
OP
W

WilliamTLear

Guest
$25,910.25

Unless I am missing a reciept somewhere. :shrug:
 
OP
M

meni

Guest
Originally posted by WilliamTLear

$25,910.25

Unless I am missing a reciept somewhere. :shrug:

Is this tax deducible?
For how many years
And what are you including in this?
 
OP
S

SingingTiger

Guest
Originally posted by meni

Is this tax deducible?
For how many years
And what are you including in this?

Psst... I think Mr. Lear was joking. A lot of people like to keep their art a "secret," and it appears that a lot of Kenpoists like to keep their investment a secret.

Rich
 
OP
W

WilliamTLear

Guest
I wasn't joking. That's the figure. Sparring gear, punching bags, practice weapons, books, manuals, videos, priavte lessons, annual tuition, seminars, air fare to get there, tournaments, and of course uniforms and patches.

As for when I started training in Ed Parker's American Kenpo System... that was eight years ago in the winter season of 1994. :asian:

The private lessons contributed heavily to the total cost.

My two cents (cause that's all I got left),
Billy Lear :lol:
 
OP
M

meni

Guest
Originally posted by SingingTiger

Psst... I think Mr. Lear was joking. A lot of people like to keep their art a "secret," and it appears that a lot of Kenpoists like to keep their investment a secret.

Rich

Really, life is expansive maybe you didnt realize yet!
 
OP
M

meni

Guest
Originally posted by WilliamTLear


The private lessons contributed heavily to the total cost.

My two cents (cause that's all I got left),
Billy Lear :lol:
The private lessons are the most expansive part of the system!
 

Latest Discussions

Top