Coronavirus/Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just had our first case of Covid-19 announced in my town (Lexington Kentucky).

A couple of the instructors at my gym have an immunosuppressed kid. I think they may be considering taking a break from training, since grappling would doubtless be a good way of passing on the virus.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you want to prevent mass panic, you'll need a time machine to go back and totally change the way this has been handled.

You're right. We've had only 1 case in my county so far, but we already have 3 students in my demonstration team alone that have bowed out of classes for the entire month of March. The rest of the classes have been a lot smaller.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I would trust a a Vaccine that was created that quickly. They are still having difficulty in understanding the virus and the US just recently got their testing kits to a reliable quality.
Even CDC is projecting 1 or 2 years

Suicide isn't contagious.

You haven't read the information I put up from the NHS have you? they do understand the virus it's a variant of known ones ( since the 1960s) which have caused previous outbreaks, testing kits have been out for a while, the labs here have been working on the virus for a while as have others in Europe. Perhaps your CDC is just being pessimistic.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That sucks. I think the county I live in got 3 new cases. So far the Georgia cases are from people who traveled to Italy. The last headline I saw about Italy is that they are preparing to do a big lockdown of some sort.

a week ago we had 1 "reported" but this morning we have 91, mostly down state.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm expecting 2 types of runs on the store. The first one is currently happening now where people are starting to stockpile items. Which makes sense to me. I don't think the stocking up is a bad thing, when it's not done all at once. People in general probably stockpile items even when there is no virus. It just causes problems when everyone stockpiles at the same freaking time. So the first run is a light run on getting supplies. In the area that I live in, I think we are still in this first run.

I haven't seen anything like this yet. I think the public officials messed up by saying. "There's no need to panic" There has been a lot of distrust building up with the federal government over many years. In general and world-wide people really don't trust their government. Conspiracies theories control a lot of what people think. So when someone says. "Don't Panic", then naturally they are going to panic.
upload_2020-3-8_12-17-5.png

The second type of run will be the panic run. This will probably be when people start dying in larger numbers. I'm not sure what happens if the grocery store employees get sick. Do they close down for a week or two? I'm not worried, just curious. I've been ahead of the rush to the stores and by just buying a little more during regular grocery shopping. My daughter in Australia on the other hand, is not a news person so she didn't take it seriously. For the past few days she's been saying that she hasn't been able to get what she needs at the store because it's all gone. I'm curious how that plays out as her toilet paper will run out soon. The virus doesn't seem to be widespread in her area.

The craziest thing I've seen people around here buy is bottled water. I've never seen Walmart sell out of water but they are almost out. It's strange to me because water comes into the house.

I'm not sure while I find all of this entertaining (in a healthy way, not as in fun to watch). I guess since there's a lot of scenarios to analyze. My brain is just getting an extra dose of what it already does, Analyze stuff.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be heading to Albany in a week with some family for two days of march madness...found out from my dad last night that, as a result of this, they may be playing to an "open house" because of this, essentially cancelling our trip.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For those in the US. Here's a snap
I'm guessing that a lot of states will have some big increases like that once testing gets out. I'm curious if they are going to test people who have mild symptoms. It seems that they would want to test those people as well so that they aren't accidentally releasing someone who is infected back into the community

The map below is from the CDC. I've been watching this thing fill up. Just so no one freaks out. It just shows how many countries are reporting cases. A country can report 1 case and that would be enough to join the list of countries. For me personally, I 'm curious to know if it's going to touch every country and if so, how long will that take.
upload_2020-3-8_13-4-36.png

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm expecting 2 types of runs on the store. The first one is currently happening now where people are starting to stockpile items. Which makes sense to me. I don't think the stocking up is a bad thing, when it's not done all at once. People in general probably stockpile items even when there is no virus. It just causes problems when everyone stockpiles at the same freaking time. So the first run is a light run on getting supplies. In the area that I live in, I think we are still in this first run.

I haven't seen anything like this yet. I think the public officials messed up by saying. "There's no need to panic" There has been a lot of distrust building up with the federal government over many years. In general and world-wide people really don't trust their government. Conspiracies theories control a lot of what people think. So when someone says. "Don't Panic", then naturally they are going to panic.
View attachment 22722

The second type of run will be the panic run. This will probably be when people start dying in larger numbers. I'm not sure what happens if the grocery store employees get sick. Do they close down for a week or two? I'm not worried, just curious. I've been ahead of the rush to the stores and by just buying a little more during regular grocery shopping. My daughter in Australia on the other hand, is not a news person so she didn't take it seriously. For the past few days she's been saying that she hasn't been able to get what she needs at the store because it's all gone. I'm curious how that plays out as her toilet paper will run out soon. The virus doesn't seem to be widespread in her area.

The craziest thing I've seen people around here buy is bottled water. I've never seen Walmart sell out of water but they are almost out. It's strange to me because water comes into the house.

I'm not sure while I find all of this entertaining (in a healthy way, not as in fun to watch). I guess since there's a lot of scenarios to analyze. My brain is just getting an extra dose of what it already does, Analyze stuff.
these people are clearly stupid, if you are worried about the virus, then dont go and hang out at a crowded supermarket, if your not worried about the virus then there no need to bulk buy, as the shelves will just be restocked by the healthy workforce

why everyone is panic buying toilet paper is beyond me, its the least consideration in a siege, if you run out of food the last thing you need is toilet paper, if you dont run out of food, you can use the food wrappers to wipe your bum

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...these people are clearly stupid...
Yep. Definitely caught up in the irrationality of a panic.

...if you run out of food the last thing you need is toilet paper, if you dont run out of food, you can use the food wrappers to wipe your bum.

...or pieces of paper towels, strips of newspaper and magazines (avoid the stiff, glossy pages), pieces of rags, etc. A single rag cut into small pieces would go a long ways. And before Tez weighs in again with her worries about the plumbing, let me clarify:

Throw the used bits out in a covered trash can (or inside a re-used plastic bag) just like they do in many parts of the world where the sewage system, although perfectly adequate, is not set up to handle big wads of paper fiber. Recently I've travelled to some really nice places in Latin America where that is the custom. In beautiful hotels with potable water from the tap and very modern bathroom fixtures, it was common to see a sign asking guests to put used toilet paper into a covered trash container next to the toilet rather than flush it. No big deal.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
For those in the US. Here's a snap

I'm guessing that a lot of states will have some big increases like that once testing gets out. I'm curious if they are going to test people who have mild symptoms. It seems that they would want to test those people as well so that they aren't accidentally releasing someone who is infected back into the community

The map below is from the CDC. I've been watching this thing fill up. Just so no one freaks out. It just shows how many countries are reporting cases. A country can report 1 case and that would be enough to join the list of countries. For me personally, I 'm curious to know if it's going to touch every country and if so, how long will that take.
View attachment 22723

Every continent except Antarctica

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be heading to Albany in a week with some family for two days of march madness...found out from my dad last night that, as a result of this, they may be playing to an "open house" because of this, essentially cancelling our trip.

There are 2 confirmed cases 40 miles north of Albany, none confirmed in Albany as of yet. However the one 40 miles north of Albany contracted it in a meeting in NYC. The majority of state offices in Albany, including mine, have people traveling back and forth between Albany and NYC all the time. I have no doubt there will be some in Albany soon. I have a co-worker that will call in sick, and then show up to do a couple things and go home, so.....And the governor declared a state of emergency already.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

View attachment 22722

The only thing that stores in my area are out of is purell and rubbing alcohol. Otherwise, they have been very well stocked, not running out. I was at my local Trader Joe’s and Safeway today.

Regarding the bottled water, it seems things would need to take a dramatic turn for the worst if the public water service shut down. I suppose it is possible, but I don’t know how automated that system is, nor how many employees are needed to keep the daily operations running. If they all got sick and the community were so heavily infected that no replacements could be found, I suppose it could happen.

If it does, keep in mind that your hot water heater is full of good, clean water.

I’ve also got two 55 gallon drums that I just sanitized, filled, and treated the water for storage. I also recently bought a modest supply of bottled water to pad out my supply. But here in California it is a good idea to keep a water supply. In my area we can get hit with summer temperatures over 110 F, and we have had some droughts in recent years. If water rationing happens, or the drought gets severe enough, having a supply to buy some time while you develop an exit plan is a good idea. So that isn’t specifically a Covid-19 issue.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
these people are clearly stupid, if you are worried about the virus, then dont go and hang out at a crowded supermarket, if your not worried about the virus then there no need to bulk buy, as the shelves will just be restocked by the healthy workforce

why everyone is panic buying toilet paper is beyond me, its the least consideration in a siege, if you run out of food the last thing you need is toilet paper, if you dont run out of food, you can use the food wrappers to wipe your bum
The toilet paper thing was a big surprise to me. I'm more concerned about running out of toilet paper at work lol. I didn't think about it, but Friday was the first time I've seen the bathroom run out of paper towels and for the bin in the bathroom not being full of paper towels.

And the governor declared a state of emergency already.
more states will probably do the same thing as more test kits become available. I know that CDC's "tune" has changed. I suspect that my job will have us working from home at some point since we have quite a few people in their 60's and 70's working in upper management. They aren't spooked yet so, Looks like I'll be heading to work on Monday.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I suppose it is possible, but I don’t know how automated that system is, nor how many employees are needed to keep the daily operations running.
I can't speak for all water treatment plants but they the one that I used to do tours at had surprisingly few staff there. The facility is big but the things that have to be manages are done by computers for the most part. There's manual movement of chemicals and waste solids, plastics bags, and other items that shouldn't be in the water. When I used to do tours at the waste water center here, I didn't see more than 10 people at any given day. Older systems probably require more people.

Hopefully we don't have to find that answer from first hand experience.

Well just an hour ago. It's been reported that "Now some Georgia grocery stores are placing limits on the number of the products you can buy to prevent buying frenzies." Source:Publix, Kroger limiting purchases of hand sanitizer, more due to coronavirus fears

This is something they probably should have done on the "front end of this ride."

333kenshin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Setting aside the science (or pseudo-science, or disagreements over the science) of the virus, have your dojos seen dips in attendance or even students putting their subscriptions on hold due to desire to minimize exposure?

Is anyone's studio preparing contingencies should pressure from students/parents result in revenue loss? eg installation of hands-free hand santizer or water dispensers, doing more forms instead of grappling to minimize physical contact, etc?

PS: speaking of science, this post explains at the molecular level why soap is superior to antibacterial gel
Palli Thordarson on Twitter

OP
ShortBridge

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am working through changes to how we train temporarily. The way we normally train is normally very sweaty and high contact. That doesn't seem wise until we know more.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Setting aside the science (or pseudo-science, or disagreements over the science) of the virus, have your dojos seen dips in attendance or even students putting their subscriptions on hold due to desire to minimize exposure?

Is anyone's studio preparing contingencies should pressure from students/parents result in revenue loss? eg installation of hands-free hand santizer or water dispensers, doing more forms instead of grappling to minimize physical contact, etc?

PS: speaking of science, this post explains at the molecular level why soap is superior to antibacterial gel
Palli Thordarson on Twitter
I’ve made no changes, thus far, other than telling students to stay home if at all not feeling well. If it reaches this area, I’ll shave my beard (a.k.a. facial Petri dish) and probably focus more on forms, fitness, and pad work for a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions