cool caporeia vid

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Sam,

Capoeira is fun, if you ever get a chance give it a try. Very very difficult, tho, so consider yourself warned.

Much of what is on this video is not capoeira, but rather XMA, which I believe basically took moves from things like gymnastics and capoeira and turned it into a performance art. All the stuff on the stage, the solo sequences of acrobats is not really capoeira, tho many of the moves are also found in capoeira.

The clips with the circle of people with two in the middle "playing" together is the Capoeira Roda, where the art is played. That stuff was legitimate capoeira, although capoeira has many ways of being played and what was highlighted in this video is the more flashy stuff.

I wish the video was more clear and less grainy. The logo on some of the T-Shirts looked like it might have been the logo of my school. These video clips could have been from one of the many schools affiliated with the same organization that my school belongs to.

Anyway, thanks for posting, it's good to give people a chance to see this stuff.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I gave a listen to a bit of the music. Capoeira has music that dictates and guides the flow of the game, but the music on this video was definitely not capoeira music. Capoeira music is very distinct and unmistakable if you are familiar with it.

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah, but that music there was COOL

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OMG, what a phenomenal video and what a phenomenal art – it almost looks as if it’s been speeded up in places. That’s mind-blowing and nothing at all like Capoeira as I remember seeing it round London ten years ago – a bunch of old guys plodding around the Roda with worn and tired instruments.

That’s so cool, Sam. Thanks for sharing this. I must go check it out when I get home and see if the old guys have passed the knowledge onto some young talent!! :D

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jenna said:
OMG, what a phenomenal video and what a phenomenal art – it almost looks as if it’s been speeded up in places. That’s mind-blowing and nothing at all like Capoeira as I remember seeing it round London ten years ago – a bunch of old guys plodding around the Roda with worn and tired instruments.

That’s so cool, Sam. Thanks for sharing this. I must go check it out when I get home and see if the old guys have passed the knowledge onto some young talent!! :D

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

don't let those old guys fool ya. the old malandros can come up with a few surprises

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
don't let those old guys fool ya. the old malandros can come up with a few surprises
I would imagine and expect so. The old guys don't do it for show and more often than not, isn't it the old dogs that have the sharpest teeth!!

A wonderful art. The one thing I do remember was the passion with which it was spoken of back when it came to the UK. Really refreshing when most of us were drudging around katas and whinging about our lack of SD skill, these guys were doing their darndest just to have fun, plain and simple - there was a real sense of party no joke, the old Capoeira guys knew how to light it up too!

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jenna said:
I would imagine and expect so. The old guys don't do it for show and more often than not, isn't it the old dogs that have the sharpest teeth!!

A wonderful art. The one thing I do remember was the passion with which it was spoken of back when it came to the UK. Really refreshing when most of us were drudging around katas and whinging about our lack of SD skill, these guys were doing their darndest just to have fun, plain and simple - there was a real sense of party no joke, the old Capoeira guys knew how to light it up too!

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

yeah, that's what really attracted me to it, the sense of having fun. Coming from a kenpo background originally, I was always thinking in terms of self defense, defeating an opponent, etc. Capoeira's playfulness was really refreshing.

Of course that doesn't mean that these guys can't fight. I've seen many a capoeirista with whom I would never want to tangle...

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
yeah, that's what really attracted me to it, the sense of having fun. Coming from a kenpo background originally, I was always thinking in terms of self defense, defeating an opponent, etc. Capoeira's playfulness was really refreshing.

Of course that doesn't mean that these guys can't fight. I've seen many a capoeirista with whom I would never want to tangle...
That's a really valid point. I think there are many especially from either TMAs or those who just fancy themselves as tough, that see Capoeira as an easy art to beat because of it's playfulness. I know nothing of the art but I'd think this tenet hasn't been overlooked by the great practitioners of Capoeira - that it's very playfulness belies a stealth and power that literally comes from nowhere and bang bang bang, everybody's on the floor. Again - that's anecdotal, I would never claim to know anything about the great art. But man, I just love it. So many shapes and forms and such great dynamics.

Gosh, I've come over all pensive, ha...

I do have a soft spot for Capoeira though - it did brighten up parts of London when it first came in - there was a great sense of community too which can sadly be something we forget about in our too-serious western TMA classes and clubs. Some of the Capoeira vs ... on the net show that it's generally the capoeirista (sp) that has the last laugh!

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, That was great and fun to watch...thank-you for sharing the video clip.........Aloha

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I love capoeira! I attempted it a bit when I was back in highschool, but I never got too far past the Au. It brintgs back some great memories every time I hear those special instruments. My birth father was from Brazil, so I thaught I'd give it a try for the sake of keeping my roots alive.

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I searched for "XMA" on google's video search. There were not that many results.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sam said:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7845099883944494845&q=xma&pl=true

its got an awesome song playing as the background, too

I dont know how practical this is, but man, I wish I could move my body like that
I dont consider this a real martial art. More like break dancing, or a way to inflate your ego with showy moves that have no practical use. Basicly, lieing to the audience in a sly and slick way. They can act all hard like there something, but in all reality they are not martial artists.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
I dont consider this a real martial art. More like break dancing, or a way to inflate your ego with showy moves that have no practical use. Basicly, lieing to the audience in a sly and slick way. They can act all hard like there something, but in all reality they are not martial artists.

I agree with you with regard to the XMA stuff.

But take it from a guy who has studied capoeira for several years and understands something about its history: it most definitely IS a martial art, as well as other things.

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't ask if you thought it was the most effective thing out there. I brought it to everyone's attention to show excellent body control.

DeLamar.J said:

:deadhorse :deadhorse

Latest Discussions