Cooked quinoa?

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what cooked white quinoa tastes like?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not a strong taste, kind of a loose, grainy texture. Technically it is a seed so is high in calories, but apparently has greater nutritional value than things like rice. I boil up a mix of 1/8 cup quinoa, 1/8 cup millet, 1/4 cup barley and 1/4 cup farro, put chicken or beef broth in the boil, boil off the fluid like cooking rice. Top with steamed broccoli and carrots. I eat that for breakfast instead of toast and jam, have mostly eliminated baked bread, muffins, etc. and losing weight from it.

OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not a strong taste, kind of a loose, grainy texture. Technically it is a seed so is high in calories, but apparently has greater nutritional value than things like rice. I boil up a mix of 1/8 cup quinoa, 1/8 cup millet, 1/4 cup barley and 1/4 cup farro, put chicken or beef broth in the boil, boil off the fluid like cooking rice. Top with steamed broccoli and carrots. I eat that for breakfast instead of toast and jam, have mostly eliminated baked bread, muffins, etc. and losing weight from it.
Thank you

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ll add that I think it is best when mixed with other things. Like if you were going to do a stir-fry on a bed of rice, it isn’t as tasty if you substitute the quinoa 100% for the rice. But if you go maybe 25% quinoa, it is good and should have a higher nutritional value. I know it is also mixed into some salads and stuff like that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It’s a great way to add some substance to a soup. That’s how I like to eat it. Very neutral flavor, but adds texture and will help make the soup be more filling.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’ll add that I think it is best when mixed with other things. Like if you were going to do a stir-fry on a bed of rice, it isn’t as tasty if you substitute the quinoa 100% for the rice. But if you go maybe 25% quinoa, it is good and should have a higher nutritional value. I know it is also mixed into some salads and stuff like that.
Ha ha I was just about to say it taste like poo poo. But I agree that it should be mixed into stuff. 100% quinoa made me not want to eat anything else. It was nasty. I'll only eat it if I don't have to taste it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ha ha I was just about to say it taste like poo poo. But I agree that it should be mixed into stuff. 100% quinoa made me not want to eat anything else. It was nasty. I'll only eat it if I don't have to taste it.
I don’t think it’s nasty, just bland. Most people likely find it dull.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quinoa crisps are delicious! It’s simply another type of ‘grain’ and takes on the flavour of whatever you add to it!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My viewpoint is generally that, unless it is a condiment/spice, if something has to be mixed into other stuff for it to taste good (again outside of condiments/spices), then that thing probably doesn't taste good.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My viewpoint is generally that, unless it is a condiment/spice, if something has to be mixed into other stuff for it to taste good (again outside of condiments/spices), then that thing probably doesn't taste good.
Isn’t that what cooking is all about? Rhubarb is only palatable when doused in tons of sugar, crumble and custard. Kale has to be cooked to within an 2.5cm of it’s life and then sautéed with garlic.Even potatoes benefit from deep frying or the addition of butter.

As Einstein said, “There is no food that cannot be improved with the addition of grated cheese’ 😑 He did….he said that😐

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn’t that what cooking is all about? Rhubarb is only palatable when doused in tons of sugar, crumble and custard. Kale has to be cooked to within an 2.5cm of it’s life and then sautéed with garlic.Even potatoes benefit from deep frying or the addition of butter.

As Einstein said, “There is no food that cannot be improved with the addition of grated cheese’ 😑 He did….he said that😐
I've never eaten rhubarb, so can't comment on that. But kale is one of the foods I have that opinion of-Kale does not taste good on its own. Therefore it's not a good food. When you add other things, those are what you're tasting that taste good.

Potatoes do taste good on their own. When you add other things like butter, cheese, bacon, etc., you are making it taste better.

^the above is obviously my culinary tastes. I'm sure someone out there thinks kale tastes awesome by itself, and potatoes are disgusting.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never eaten rhubarb, so can't comment on that.
British people, especially northerners, love rhubard but in actual fact, it is ‘Satan’s putrid seed’.👿
But kale is one of the foods I have that opinion of-Kale does not taste good on its own.
I am regularly presented with kale because it’s meant to be very good for you…if one is a goat 😏
When you add other things, those are what you're tasting that taste good.
Isn’t cooking blending flavours so the whole tastes better than the individual ingredients?
Potatoes do taste good on their own.
I’ve probably only eaten boiled baby potatoes and they’re ok. Add a knob of butter or a pizza and they’re great 😄
When you add other things like butter, cheese, bacon, etc., you are making it taste better.
Yes….cooking/preparing.
^the above is obviously my culinary tastes. I'm sure someone out there thinks kale tastes awesome by itself, and potatoes are disgusting.
I hate cooked carrots (again regularly presented to me😏) but raw carrots are nice…especially with a dollop of hummus.

The only ‘bad’ food in my opinion is coriander (cilantro). 🤢🤮 They put it on top of every bas*ard thing 🤬😡

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn’t cooking blending flavours so the whole tastes better than the individual ingredients?
This part here is the point. You blend flavors to make the whole taste better. But if any of the ingredients just tastes bad, and instead the other flavors are there to mask the bad taste, you're hurting the dish as a whole. Since you could either not include it, or include something which tastes better and improve the dish.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This part here is the point. You blend flavors to make the whole taste better. But if any of the ingredients just tastes bad, and instead the other flavors are there to mask the bad taste, you're hurting the dish as a whole.
But many raw ingredients taste unpleasant if not prepared in a sympathetic manner. Kale is yuck, but sautéed with a little garlic and grated cheddar cheese…🤤 It’s intrinsic flavour is still present, but it’s synthesised into some nice…like make up and nice clothes. Kale tastes like any other brassica, it’s the stem’s fibrous. stringy texture that makes me gip (wretch).

The BBC’s radio ‘Food Programme’ found that some traditionally bitter foods like grapefruit and brassicas were having this bitterness bred out of then as young people will not eat them. They seem to have no problem imbibing alcohol which is bitter!
Since you could either not include it, or include something which tastes better and improve the dish.
Hmmm… melted cheddar cheese as Einstein suggested!😉

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

2.54 cm

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A little shallot and garlic in butter, then toast the quinoa for a bit before adding the liquid (chicken or vegetable stock is better than just water). Also, salt is magic. People are generally too stingy with salt.

Tastes pretty good that way, I think. I wouldn’t eat it as a main dish, but it’s a healthier option than rice or potatoes.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
most of cooking is about making things taste better, particularly things that are good for you. Carrot cake was invented as a way to get kids to eat a dang vegetable. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This part here is the point. You blend flavors to make the whole taste better. But if any of the ingredients just tastes bad, and instead the other flavors are there to mask the bad taste, you're hurting the dish as a whole. Since you could either not include it, or include something which tastes better and improve the dish.
There’s a magic to cooking where things that taste bad on their own actually taste good with other things. For example, I wouldn’t eat a parsnip raw or in its own, but in a purée or as a root veggie in a pot roast, it brings something to the party.

And taste is only one part of food. Texture matters, too. Smell. Nutrition. It all counts.

Latest Discussions