Cooked quinoa?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
But many raw ingredients taste unpleasant if not prepared in a sympathetic manner. Kale is yuck, but sautĆ©ed with a little garlic and grated cheddar cheeseā€¦šŸ¤¤ Itā€™s intrinsic flavour is still present, but itā€™s synthesised into some niceā€¦like make up and nice clothes. Kale tastes like any other brassica, itā€™s the stemā€™s fibrous. stringy texture that makes me gip (wretch).

The BBCā€™s radio ā€˜Food Programmeā€™ found that some traditionally bitter foods like grapefruit and brassicas were having this bitterness bred out of then as young people will not eat them. They seem to have no problem imbibing alcohol which is bitter!

Hmmmā€¦ melted cheddar cheese as Einstein suggested!šŸ˜‰
Totally. Another example, Candied citrus peels taste great. But you have to boil them like 3 or 4 times to get the bitterness out. I make a big batch every year around Xmas.

All that to say, cheese is good but much like bacon, it doesnā€™t have to be in everything. šŸ˜ƒ

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've never eaten rhubarb, so can't comment on that. But kale is one of the foods I have that opinion of-Kale does not taste good on its own. Therefore it's not a good food. When you add other things, those are what you're tasting that taste good.

Potatoes do taste good on their own. When you add other things like butter, cheese, bacon, etc., you are making it taste better.

^the above is obviously my culinary tastes. I'm sure someone out there thinks kale tastes awesome by itself, and potatoes are disgusting.
Lol I like kale. I can eat it by itself lol. Potatoes too? Ahhhhh Potatoes are the best. But then again I'm from the south lol

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that to say, cheese is good but much like bacon, it doesnā€™t have to be in everything. šŸ˜ƒ
What did Einstein say about cheese, Steve? šŸ˜ What did he say? šŸ˜” It goes with everything!

(You can preface any statement with ā€™ā€¦as Mahatma Gandhi/Aristotle/Einstein/Oscar Wilde/Noel Coward/PG Wodehouse once saidā€¦ā€™ and immediately appear erudite and unquestionable! Try it! As Oscar Wilde once said ā€˜donā€™t put off today what you can do in a bushā€™.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What did Einstein say about cheese, Steve? šŸ˜ What did he say? šŸ˜” It goes with everything!

(You can preface any statement with ā€™ā€¦as Mahatma Gandhi/Aristotle/Einstein/Oscar Wilde/Noel Coward/PG Wodehouse once saidā€¦ā€™ and immediately appear erudite and unquestionable! Try it! As Oscar Wilde once said ā€˜donā€™t put off today what you can do in a bushā€™.
As Abe Lincoln once said "Those who use the word erudite are spouting nonsense".

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if it's been said yet, but quinoa needs to be rinsed and/or soaked to remove the bitter coating if it hasn't been done before you bought it (some will come pre-processed in this way). It's also a lot better if you toast it lightly before cooking it in my opinion.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know if it's been said yet, but quinoa needs to be rinsed and/or soaked to remove the bitter coating if it hasn't been done before you bought it (some will come pre-processed in this way). It's also a lot better if you toast it lightly before cooking it in my opinion.
Toasting it in butter... before adding the liquid. totally worth it.

Latest Discussions