Contradictions In The Martial Arts

Oooh, "Grand Master". I like the sound of that. Can I get it embroidered on my uniform?
Enjoy...Not sure why the Ai had a thing for beards lol

1708465047994.png

In Jow Ga, the defense is to take a lower stance to force your opponent to take a lower shoot on your leg than they should. I don't want to put words in @Tony Dismukes mouth, so I'll just say that one of my training partners told me that if it was too low, they wouldn't take it. But if they wanted to take it then they you would take advantage of it being a bad shoot. The under hook allows me to twist my opponent's spine. The goal is to prevent this from happening by making the space between my lead leg and my arm pit smaller.
View attachment 30703

Having the lead arm lower complicates things. Insted of trying to push on the head to prevent the shoot. Allow the shoot come in so that iit slipce nicely under my opponents right armpit. If get caught with my lead hand outside then I'll need to lower my rear arm to get the under hook step back with my left leg and turn.

I don't want to be caught in this posistion because I can't stop my opponent's foward movement nor the lifting moving. Twisting the spine stops these motions because they will wither fight the twisting or the try to drive foward. Body mechanics will not let them do both. If they ignore the twisting then I can use it to stop or weaking my opponents ability frive forward or lift. If he tries to stop the twisting then it will be at the cost of stopping the foward drive and lifting. The the under hooks also makes it more difficult to lock the hands. It can interupt my opponent's drive just enough to snap that leg free. before the grip locks. The key is Turn. Wthout the turn then things get difficult.
View attachment 30704

One arm held high, and the other arm held low makes it easy to get the underook as your opponet's incoming force will gurantee it. The low arm stays in that position so that it can get the underhook upon collision. The undergood is good for changing force direction while in motion. The harder your oppnent comes in the easier the twisting is.

If my opponent does this, then I'm ooing to land a hammer fist, face slap, or an upper cut depending of the position of my leg. Here you see the lead hand is not forward. My lead hand stays forward so it can run interference long enough for my leg to escape. I'm not look for KO power. I'm looking to cause direction change, delay, or closed eyes. I'm not trying to punch my way out. If I can make any of those then my chances for escape are good.
View attachment 30705

There are some other techniques in Jow Ga but they are more difficult to pull off and I don't know the Plan B if Plan A fails.
How bout 12 to 6 elbow to nape of neck? I stuffed one with that but maybe just got lucky because the shot was a hair too short.

A potential student came into Unel Wellington's dojo to enquire about classes. Whilst chatting he asked "How long it would take to get the black-belt?" Unel reached into the display cabinet, grabbed one of the black-belts and told him they cost £10 😂
Asking how long it takes to get a black belt is not an uncommon question to ask and while exactly how long it takes of course depends on the student, many instructors will give a straight answer as to the average length of time it takes to get a black belt at their dojo.

Asking how long it takes to get a black belt is not an uncommon question to ask and while exactly how long it takes of course depends on the student, many instructors will give a straight answer as to the average length of time it takes to get a black belt at their dojo.
Haven't we already discussed how light-hearted and jovial this event actually was in person, compared to how it is being interpreted here online?

How bout 12 to 6 elbow to nape of neck? I stuffed one with that but maybe just got lucky because the shot was a hair too short.
For me it's not reliable enough. It works on most people but it doesn't work on anyone who has trained how to shoot in. For people who are trained in how to shoot they will try to their heads in this position. I can always tell what position their head is in based on how my underhook is set.upon impact. Most grapplers will win this position if you cannot force them to take a bad shoot. I allow my lead arm to get trapped between my leg and his body so I can set the underhook and start twisting this position.

The underhook allows me to inflict 3 motions. Twisting, Pulling with the underhook, and pulling with my leg.
The over hook allows me to inflict 2 motions. Downward and Twisting. If the shoulder passes downward movement then I begin twisting movement...

The twisting weakens my opponents ability to pull in, But it as to be done before my opponent fully locks the grip. The underhook is like a "first alarm." As soon as you feel impact on your arm, start twisting and pull that lead leg back. Keep in mind that the shoot hits the arm maybe a foot or 6 inches before it hits the legs. Which is more than enough time to alert your brain on what to do next.
1708518998421.png

Belows is the Jow Ga defense to a single leg take down.. Notice the angle of orange's head? You wouldn't be able to get an elbow strike on that. From a striking position Orange will have to get past my lead right arm. If he is successful with that then I set the underhook with my left. It's easy becasue I already know where his arms are going to go. I just have to slip my arm between my body and his and his technique will automatically set my technique.. If the leg pops free. allow him to continue to fall forward and twist his spine by turning his torso as if you are turning a wheel. Underhook turns uppward while your over hook UE not

1708521858425.png

This is the trap that I was trying to lead @Tony into but he kept going over the top and setting a headlock on me. My only guess is that the top was more inviting than the single leg so I was probably standing too low. with my stance. Tony is taller than me.which means that my stance shouldn't be as low as it normally is when I spar against someone my same height.

Twisting the spind is better than just raising it elevate. Twisting elevates the arm, but it prevents him from droping weight on that upward movement .So in Jow Ga we twist. Twisting also prevents your opponent from circling around. By twisting you, cause his right arm go towards his center.

Last edited:
Didn't we discuss this many pages back?

I think I've said it more than once. Usually, the website of the dojo or the association to which it belongs will have a page listing the time in grade and kihon/kumite/kata requirements for each belt rank. Look there instead of asking.

This is the trap that I was trying to lead @Tony into but he kept going over the top and setting a headlock on me. My only guess is that the top was more inviting than the single leg so I was probably standing too low. with my stance. Tony is taller than me.which means that my stance shouldn't be as low as it normally is when I spar against someone my same height.
Like anything else, shots and takedowns have to be set up properly. You were standing low with your legs guarded and playing defensively waiting for me to attack first, which meant that shooting directly for your legs would only have a chance of success if I had a substantial advantage in speed and explosiveness (which I do not).

That left me with a few options. If you were initiating an attack, I could time a low shot while you were swinging for my head and your arm was out of the way. But for the drill we were doing you had requested that I bring the attack to you.

So the next obvious option was to attack the high line. If you had raised your guard to defend the high line better, then it might have given me openings to switch to a low line attack. But you stayed focused on defending the low line, which meant that I was able to repeatedly get the front headlock.

Another option I would have explored if we had more time is using the wall. You did a good job of pummeling for the underhook and keeping your hips away, therefore preventing any low line shots. But if I could drive you back against the wall, it removes your ability to keep your hips away and opens up possibilities like foot sweeps, leg hooks, collapsing your underhook, or getting my head under your chin to force you into a more upright stance. Fighting against the wall (or fence) is one of the areas where MMA has brought a lot of refinement and innovation compared to anything I've seen from other martial arts.

Haven't we already discussed how light-hearted and jovial this event actually was in person, compared to how it is being interpreted here online?
Yes well, I just thought of something else to say, something else to point out.

I think I've said it more than once. Usually, the website of the dojo or the association to which it belongs will have a page listing the time in grade and kihon/kumite/kata requirements for each belt rank. Look there instead of asking.
Some dojos have that but not all.

Back