Contradictions In The Martial Arts

you mean presume the worst and run with it? Happens all the time, and not just on the internet. What are you fishing for?
Not fishing. Asking a legitimate question. You can either see why I might misunderstand your meaning or not based on my explanation. The varied meanings of the word fight.

Not fishing. Asking a legitimate question. You can either see why I might misunderstand your meaning or not based on my explanation. The varied meanings of the word fight.

Since you’re pressing for a response, yeah, I get it. You jumped to a conclusion. It happens all the time around here. The lesson is, read what people write and try not to jump to conclusions. You good now?

Since you’re pressing for a response, yeah, I get it. You jumped to a conclusion. It happens all the time around here. The lesson is, read what people write and try not to jump to conclusions. You good now?
Oh I see, you are teaching me a lesson. Are you still upset?

Oh I see, you are teaching me a lesson. Are you still upset?
Im not trying to do anything, really. If anything, I’ve been trying to gracefully extricate myself from this exchange since accepting your apology. This is excruciating for me. As painful as watching Bridgerton with my wife.

Im not trying to do anything, really. If anything, I’ve been trying to gracefully extricate myself from this exchange since accepting your apology. This is excruciating for me. As painful as watching Bridgerton with my wife.
lol. Graceful? I think that is another word that possibly means something different to you than to me. You could just block me if I cause you so much discomfort. You are skilled at snide exchange, use your aiki.

I was thinking about this the other day. Why has the "扣 (Kou) - knee seizing" technique never been used in UFC?
No, knee pick has been used in UFC.

- Is it not effective? I have used it on the mat over and over before.
- Is it too hard to develop? I have developed it within 6 months.
Yes, not as high percentage as single or double leg, trips, etc.

May be MMA guys just don't like anything "traditional".
Many MMA guys come from TMA. They don't dislike their backgrounds. They evolve as martial artists.

Last edited:
lol. Graceful? I think that is another word that possibly means something different to you than to me. You could just block me if I cause you so much discomfort. You are skilled at snide exchange, use your aiki.

You know, every response you give is projection and intent. You’re obviously trying to stir the pot. You’re being snide. You’re being creepy and trying to make this as uncomfortable as possible.

And I get it now. You’re looking out for your buddy. Makes sense. The pieces click into place.

Well knowing all that makes it easier. If you want the last word, you got it. I’m going to jump off this merry go round. You win the internet today. 😀

If you want the last word, you got it.
I think it's definitely time, Steve and Wing Woo Gar, to just hang it up. It's not informative or entertaining for everyone else here. Let's agree for this to be the last word - no hard feelings to anybody, egos intact, agree to disagree, whatever. Play nice and share some milk and cookies.

I said they grasp the concept, I did not say they have the kick down correctly. Huge difference.
Still, if they have previous experience in the martial arts that could have something to do with it. A student could be a white belt but have previous experience in other dojos but since they're starting out in a new dojo they start at white belt.

Still, if they have previous experience in the martial arts that could have something to do with it. A student could be a white belt but have previous experience in other dojos but since they're starting out in a new dojo they start at white belt.
Not at all certain what point you are trying to make.

Not at all certain what point you are trying to make.
That people with previous experience in other arts can have an easier time grasping concepts, even in new arts that they're just starting out in.

How could you miss that? You should get my points without me having to elaborate so much.

That people with previous experience in other arts can have an easier time grasping concepts, even in new arts that they're just starting out in.
Not necessarily..... seen it hinder some folks and help some folks...
How could you miss that? You should get my points without me having to elaborate so much.
And that right there, is the pot calling the kettle black......

Not necessarily..... seen it hinder some folks and help some folks...

And that right there, is the pot calling the kettle black......
I will say I much prefer students that don't have previous experience. The whole we did it this way and that way. Certain habits that carry over etc. Sometimes habitual body movement that contravenes. But I do get that someone with previous experience may get certain nuances better

I will say I much prefer students that don't have previous experience. The whole we did it this way and that way. Certain habits that carry over etc. Sometimes habitual body movement that contravenes. But I do get that someone with previous experience may get certain nuances better
My favorite students have been those that are most teachable. The most fun was with those who had other experience, and were still teachable. They already understood the grind of developing skill, knew they'd progress slower than they wanted to, and generally asked better questions because of their different perspective. They were less likely to just take my word for something. They'd listen and do exactly what I instructed, but they'd also would examine and test things. They also found it fun to find out where the areas were where my skillset made me completely dominant over them (like a striker on the ground), because they knew there were areas where our skill levels were much closer.

I have seen, and known, some very good martial artists who where very good at Karate and TKD, have a world of problems with movements in Chinese martial arts styles, they tended to be way too stiff. But then I also knew a guy who was an excellent TKD person and another who was an American Kenpo guy who were AMAZING and Shaolin Long Fist.

My favorite students have been those that are most teachable. The most fun was with those who had other experience, and were still teachable. They already understood the grind of developing skill, knew they'd progress slower than they wanted to, and generally asked better questions because of their different perspective. They were less likely to just take my word for something. They'd listen and do exactly what I instructed, but they'd also would examine and test things. They also found it fun to find out where the areas were where my skillset made me completely dominant over them (like a striker on the ground), because they knew there were areas where our skill levels were much closer.
I got much better at Taijiquan with my shifu, as soon as I stopped trying to apply my Japanese Jujutsu back ground to it. But that background also help in some locks and especially when he knocked me down

The point is it helps some people as you said so yourself. It might not help everybody but it helps some people.
Quite true. My Judo experience (though brief) helped me when I started NGA, and when I tinkered with BJJ. I think my NGA experience helps and hinders (not sure which it does more) learning BJJ stuff. If I went to a style with similar striking, my background would be helpful. If I went to something like Jow Ga, I'd struggle for a while, because they seem to have some different fundamentals. Once I got those fundamentals, I think my experience would be helpful. I think that's usually the case - if someone with other experience sticks with a new art long enough, that other experience will be helpful, but not always when they are new.

Back