Contracts

Mao

Black Belt
Reaction score
In our school we have a mo. to mo. option, two 6mo. options and two 1yr. options. Of course there are diff. $ for the options. This is because we have some people who choose to pay for a certain length of time in advance. Also, as a business, we need to maintain "fiscal stability" and this helps us to this end. I think whether your a student or an owner makes a difference.

F

fist of fury

I can't believe schools put black belt guarantees in thier contracts. What a joke I would've walked out if my current sifu had any crap like that. I don't think contracts are really a bad thing since it can prevent hidden costs some instructors might try and pull on the unwary. But to guarantee a black belt in it thats just sad.

G

GouRonin

Sorry, I was confused as to who was doing what. Thanx for straightening it out.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Contracts at our school are more just to let the students know what is expected from them. The usual contract is for 12 months. Some of us however are part of a group called Black Belt Club, where we are given a little extra attention by Senseii. The aim of this club is to groom us to be the best black belts we can be, not just physically but also spiritually. Our contracts in this club are for 3 years. The good thing is we still only pay the same as what the others pay for 1 year.
The only real stipulation that is made through these contracts is that we train a minimum of 2 classes per week.

--Dave

G

GouRonin

So you signed a contract that asks you to be financially responsible for a longer period of time but for the same rate as those who decided to sign a contract for a smaller time period?

How much "extra attention" are you getting and of what sort?

I

Icepick

Moo -

Where are you teaching, and how many students? I hope everything is going well. Any update on the wife and kids?

Mao

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am teaching in Hilliard (suburb of Columbus) Ohio. I think there are about 40-50 students at the present. We just signed on with a management company and are anticipating some growth. Wouldn't that be lovely? My lovely Wife and The Girls (notice the caps.) are great. Sometimes it's fun being the only guy in a sorority. Hey, I can pee sitting down................:lol:
Can I say that here? :D

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin
How much "extra attention" are you getting and of what sort?

Well, lets see, firstly there is at least one extra class a week, sometimes more, we get extra personal pointers during regular classes, where the instructor will correct our stuff before seeing to others. We get more intense education in the use of pressure points in combat. As well as all this, we receive some of the most incredible education in life empowerment skills, you have ever seen. From my own personal experience, this last point would have to be the most valuable of all. Due to these teachings, I have gone from being a bit of a thug, to being someone who gives a s*** about what happens to other people. My missus reckons the changes in me are the only reason we have managed to stay together this long, 12 years next month. She says that if I hadn't changed when I did, she'd have been long gone.
I get the impression from my senseii, that if I were to leave before my contract was up, he would not chase me for the money. I could be wrong, but hey I don't intend leaving any time soon.

Hope this gives some idea of what I get for my bucks.

--Dave

Mod Note - Please don't try to get around the Profanity Filter by using unusual characters. Thank you.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hate contracts. If I study I expect to pay but dont think Im going to pay if I move to another state or I find the instructor dose not or can nt prvide good instuctuion.
As far as saing you may only go where the instructr says,well sounds like he's afraid you'll see something you like better.
Going to tournments alone May not be the safeest thing for beginers You really should have friends and instructors nearby for the first few years.
Shadow

I

Icepick

Moo -

40-50 students! That's pretty good for FMA! Do you have your own space? How many kids? Are you having knife-fighting birthday parties?:p

That's really cool to hear. Does Matt still train with you?

Mao

Black Belt
Reaction score
We have knife fighting birthday parties........blind folded. :p
Actually I save the knife stuff 'till I see a certain maturity factor. We teach Modern Arnis and Aikido, seperately. How's the bjj going? I'm still working on pencak silat mande muda, particularly harimau. Fits nicely with alot of the modern arnis stuff.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is my favorite contract story.

There is an instructor in my city. The guy has been teaching for a very long time, but he has a couple screws loose. I know, because I trained with him for a short time. The night when he punished us with pushups for two hours for no reason, and then started screaming at the voices in his head, was when I stopped going back. But somehow, he has managed to train some fierce people. True story. I'm not making this up.

Anyway, My wife also trained with him, but years after I left and before we met, and she knew people who continued to train with him years after she left. So here is the contract. He decided that he wanted to start training a group of teenagers and young adults who he felt showed promise. So he created a special training group for them, meeting several nights each week for intense workouts. In the meantime, he basically abandoned his class of adults, some of whom were studying with him for years. Everyone who agreed to be part of this group paid for the whole year in advance, non-refundable.

As part of the agreement, the students agreed that they absolutely would not miss a session. If they did, then they had to pay a penalty of something like $25. If they did miss a session, they could appeal their case to a body of their peers, who were pressured by the teacher to deny the plea. A friend of my wife missed a session because the traffic on the bridge after work was clogged due to an accident. She was caught in the traffic and just could not make it. Of course her plea to the board fell on deaf ears.

So these people pay for a year in advance, and they pay again if they don't show up. This guy is a business genious. I should take lessons.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey Tess...

Your thread looked like it was going to link to something else...but nada amiga.

On another note...Contracts mainly came about because, Sensei Sokey Pants got tired of running all around God's green dojo looking for the guy that didn't pay but was still coming to classes. They spout lines like, "I'll get ya tomorrow, Sensei..." or "OOOOH! I knew I forgot something." Then there is my favorite, " I was just going to call you about that."

I personally don't like contracts but I understand how they are necessary for some folks who just don't feel like dealing with the BS. I have a friend that teaches in New York that went the other way because he only has about fifty students (he teaches a non-profit program and all the funds just go to paying the rent and bills). He has a sign in register book at the desk when you walk in the door. If you are taking class that day you walk up and sign in. There are three ways to pay. You can pay the ten bucks a class when you walk in the door. You can save some cash if you come alot and pay a reduced tuition for the whole month. (from fifty to sixty-five depending on the number of students he has...the more he has the less everyone pays). Or you can go with a billing company that he has that takes it right out. If you go with the first two, you either pay for the class up front ( for the first option) or pay for the month up front (on the first day in class at the begining of the month). If you don't pay then you don't train.

The whole billing thing is screwy as no one really has a handle on how to do it right. All we can do is keep training and hope for the best,

Regards,
Walt

Latest Discussions