Any suggestions for a non-combatative MA training in a HS.

OP
M

Martialscientist

How much do you think a good instructor will charge?
Also why not just keep the money for when it's needed.
No offence, but teaching from books and videos is almost the same as just letting the kids see those videos and just follow along.
May be I am wrong.

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm a huge fan of Judo as a childrens sport-art. It's deliberately safe to practice, requires interaction / cooperation with your parners, and doesn't punch and kick things.

As to what to have uncontrolled kids sit down and read that will make them controlled; I can't think of anything (this is on reason that many schools start out with stance and forms work)... though Chess is an excellent martial activity which is non-combative.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
Does it not bother anyone that this teacher will be instructing the class from things that he learned in books and videos? Whose responsibility will it be if little Johnny hurts someone in class or god forbid outside of the program? Instead of purchasing equipment which he may or may not need in the beginning why not bring in a qualified instructor to maybe show the basics to the class? Has he even addressed the possibility of a qualified instructor doing this program? We talk about people starting their own systems and mcdojos well it might begin with a situation like this. This phys. ed. teacher begins to teach this stuff from books and videos and actually feels that he might be pretty proficient at it. After a couple of years he decides to open his own dojo because he already has a student base from the after school program and there you have it another self made style with a self appointed grand master. I know that this is an extreme scenario but could it not be a possibility?

In the spirit of Bushido!

Rob

Once again, very well said, and I agree completely!! As I said above and countless times in the past, nothing can replace the training, knowledge and skill one can get from a live instructor! There is nothing wrong with tapes/dvd in and of itself. I have them. However, I do not use them as my sole learning tool. I have qualified inst. to teach me, and show me the fine points of the techniques...things that will not be gained from a tape. They are a good reference tool, but a poor learning tool.

I highly suggest that this person wishing to teach at this school, get some qualified instruction.

Just my thoughts. Again Rob, a very good post! :asian:

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martialscientist said:
How much do you think a good instructor will charge?

Cost will vary from person to person. However, if it means getting and giving quality instruction, that should not be an issue!

Also why not just keep the money for when it's needed.

Whats needed is quality instruction!

No offence, but teaching from books and videos is almost the same as just letting the kids see those videos and just follow along.
May be I am wrong.

Whats not shown are the fine points. Who is going to correct an incorrect move, stance, strike, etc.? How is someone, with no MA exp. going to understand what those moves are?

People can look at a cookbook and make something, but that does not qualify them to be a gourmet chef!

Mike

Latest Discussions