Any suggestions for a non-combatative MA training in a HS.

F

first123class

Hi again,

My friend is a gym teacher in NYC. He been begging to get a martial arts club in school for 3 years. This year the board of ed approved. This is a way for him to share his knowledge and work out at the same time. (Don't say gym teachers don't know anything. My friend does.) So he is doing volunteer work 2xweek, since he doesn't get any money for the club. However he got a check for almost two grand to buy equipment and educational material.
He is not looking to get karate books per say. More like training books. He is nervous that "abusive kids" will join the club, thus no kicks or punches will take place for at least few months. This will hopefully comb out the bad kids.
In the matter of fact, the reason he was not giving permission for so long, is because board of ed was afrait of the law suit due to someone abusing what they learned in a club and hurting other students.

Sorry for getting of tangent slightly.
So far he got Some material from Satsuline and Furey. Which I always wanted to look at as well, but did not want to spend.

Any one knows good book or tapes to prepare the kids for martial arts, with out teaching them actuall techniques.

-I know it's a long post, so thanks for reading it. :)

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
My first question is does your friend have any martial arts experience?

OP
F

first123class

He has some. Gym teachers learn many different sports, MA included.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that your friend has minimal training in the martial arts. My suggestion to your friend is to find a highly qualified instructor to teach this class.

Rob

OP
M

Macy5

Your friend is looking to just do basic training?

I think Bruce Lee had the same approach, he did everything but fighting for a while to see who was serious about training.

I took martial arts at a club long time ago. I think it's a good idea to start out that way.

How much does MA does he know?
I don't think you need to know that much to do basic conditioning in a HS.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
first123class said:
Hi again,

My friend is a gym teacher in NYC. He been begging to get a martial arts club in school for 3 years. This year the board of ed approved. This is a way for him to share his knowledge and work out at the same time. (Don't say gym teachers don't know anything. My friend does.) So he is doing volunteer work 2xweek, since he doesn't get any money for the club. However he got a check for almost two grand to buy equipment and educational material.
He is not looking to get karate books per say. More like training books. He is nervous that "abusive kids" will join the club, thus no kicks or punches will take place for at least few months. This will hopefully comb out the bad kids.
In the matter of fact, the reason he was not giving permission for so long, is because board of ed was afrait of the law suit due to someone abusing what they learned in a club and hurting other students.

Sorry for getting of tangent slightly.
So far he got Some material from Satsuline and Furey. Which I always wanted to look at as well, but did not want to spend.

Any one knows good book or tapes to prepare the kids for martial arts, with out teaching them actuall techniques.

-I know it's a long post, so thanks for reading it. :)

What exactly is he looking to teach? I notice that you said in the first few months, things would be limited. What is he going to be doing during that time? What is his MA background?

Mike

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Give the students a car wax, sander and a paint brush.

Then have them wash and wax all the cars, sand the floor, paint the house (side to side), and paint the fence (up down). If you need more instruction or clarification, please see Mr. Miyagi in the the movie The Karate Kid. :roflmao:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, You will hear people recommend "JUDO" is best for HS's and wrestling.

Judo can be for sport as well as for defence. My son's teacher teaches the sport side in High School Judo for School competions with other schools.

At his Dojo you will also learn the other side of sport Judo. It can be very offensive. A good Sensi is what you will need. ................Aloha

Don't let yourself defense down around a Judoist.....the street side will hurt...

OP
F

first123class

Ok, may be I did not say it very clearly. He wants to teach basic self defense. However if he just start teaching pain inflicting technique right away, there is a chance that some kid will use it on another kid. Than he will get in trouble. Thus he wants to do only conditioning techniques. Calasthentics, stretching, etc. Hopefully the kids that are looking to learn how to kick *** will leave the club and the good kids will stay. Than he can teach the actual techniques.

P.S. he is not allowed to tell a kid, "you are a dirt bag, you will not use this stuff for anything positive, get out of the club"

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
first123class said:
Ok, may be I did not say it very clearly. He wants to teach basic self defense. However if he just start teaching pain inflicting technique right away, there is a chance that some kid will use it on another kid. Than he will get in trouble. Thus he wants to do only conditioning techniques. Calasthentics, stretching, etc. Hopefully the kids that are looking to learn how to kick *** will leave the club and the good kids will stay. Than he can teach the actual techniques.

P.S. he is not allowed to tell a kid, "you are a dirt bag, you will not use this stuff for anything positive, get out of the club"

Thanks for the clarification. It appears that he's looking to teach something that is not as aggressive as some of the other arts out there. If that is the case, then yes, I'd go with something like Judo or Aikido. I'm not saying that those arts can't be aggressive, but compared to some of the others out there, they are on a lower level.

I'd also be interested in hearing about this instructors MA background. What training does he have?

Mike

OP
F

first123class

Well, he has a masters in Teaching. He took TKD for a semester, wrestling for a semester, self-defence, Okinowan karate. this were just classes that he took in college. May be others, but I don't know about them.
People are saying get a good instructor to teach the club, but you have to pay an instructor and I am sure he want to do it himself anyway.
Also I am wondering, since he is ordering training equipment and instructional material for the club. I will be looking at it too, and hopefully using it.

Can I write reviews for the people that see this stuff, but don't know if they should buy it. Since I am in that position myself very often. Or would that be like I am doing advertising for those products, in that case I don't want to do that.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying your friends martial arts backround. I would still suggest finding a good instructor. There are alot of them out there that will teach after school programs for a reasonable rate. Your friend may get someone hurt with his lack of knowledge of the martial arts. A semseter here and a semester there does not qualify him to teach. True masters and teachers have spent several years working within their chosen art and will benefit the class more. They will know how to weed out the bad apples. Also with a good qualified instructor the studnets will be given the character training that comes along with the martial arts. After all karate without philosophy is just street fighting.

In the spirit of Bushido!

Rob

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
first123class said:
Well, he has a masters in Teaching. He took TKD for a semester, wrestling for a semester, self-defence, Okinowan karate. this were just classes that he took in college. May be others, but I don't know about them.
People are saying get a good instructor to teach the club, but you have to pay an instructor and I am sure he want to do it himself anyway.
Also I am wondering, since he is ordering training equipment and instructional material for the club. I will be looking at it too, and hopefully using it.

Can I write reviews for the people that see this stuff, but don't know if they should buy it. Since I am in that position myself very often. Or would that be like I am doing advertising for those products, in that case I don't want to do that.

Chinto01 made a good point and I agree! It appears that his MA background is limited. If your friend wants to teach, it would be best for him to expand on his own training. Another instructor does not have to be brought in, but again, your friend should seek someone he can learn from. Books, DVD/Tape, are good references, but should not be used solely to teach from.

Mike

OP
F

first123class

Thank you, guys for the suggestions.

I joined a few sport clubs in junior high and high school, only to find out that the coach doesnt' know what he is doing. Than obviously I stopped going. I certainly hope that same thing will not happen here.

OP
M

Martialscientist

Check this out,

if a kid learns a few moves he would want to try them. It's only a matter of time, till he will use them on someone. That's a given.

I remember they put up a punching bag in my weight training class in high school. Two homeboys punched it for a while, than began punching each other. Than they took the bag down. I think the pricipal even talked the teacher down for putting it up in the first place.

So the bottom line,

I don't think it will lead to anygood to have MA in a school NYC especially.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phys. ed. teachers have to teach many sports and can't be experts in all of them. I learned wrestling from the basketball coach in gym; when I joined the team, I saw how much I was missing.

We'll view our "sport" as very specialized, requiring an expert's touch. A phys. ed. teacher will view it as an sport he or she must have minimal competence in. I can see both viewpoints. An expert is best, and for serious self-defense is necessary; but to do a unit on martial arts along with the units on golf, dodgeball, badminton,..., doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Do judo. It's a sport.

OP
F

first123class

I mention judo today. It seems like they have wrestling in his school and he doesn't know any Judo. So that is out, would have been nice though.
He just want plain old conditioning, no any kind of techniques that can potentially hurt a student. I actually got a feeling that his supervisor, is making him do it that way.
They start in September, maybe by January he will do reverse punches. lol
In mean while he ordered pads, mats, videos, books, medicine balls and other stuff that I wish I could order lol.

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Teaching breakfalls will be a good start and is very important no matter what art he teaches eventually. By doing this first it is totally non contact but gives a grounding for later techniques to be performed properly without the usual injuries sustained by not knowing how to fall.
Following the weeding out process using point sparing techniques instead of contact will start to teach basic striking, but if any of the students do try to take the techniques out of class the differences of range will soon be apparent and they will probably lose any confrontation.
As stated above judo is a very good art that can be used selectively to give them knolledge of MA's, but any of the sport based arts are designed for just the sort of thing your mate wants to teach.
That being said remember that a little knolledge can be a dangerous thing, most times its better to teach everything.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does it not bother anyone that this teacher will be instructing the class from things that he learned in books and videos? Whose responsibility will it be if little Johnny hurts someone in class or god forbid outside of the program? Instead of purchasing equipment which he may or may not need in the beginning why not bring in a qualified instructor to maybe show the basics to the class? Has he even addressed the possibility of a qualified instructor doing this program? We talk about people starting their own systems and mcdojos well it might begin with a situation like this. This phys. ed. teacher begins to teach this stuff from books and videos and actually feels that he might be pretty proficient at it. After a couple of years he decides to open his own dojo because he already has a student base from the after school program and there you have it another self made style with a self appointed grand master. I know that this is an extreme scenario but could it not be a possibility?

In the spirit of Bushido!

Rob

Latest Discussions