Weightlifting and teens

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my students asked me about a weight lifting regimen last night; however, what she needs is a little different than most people. This question was sparked because her Phys Ed teacher is doing a unit on weight lifting, and offered anyone who was in a particular sport the opportunity to modify the routine to fit the sport. Now, I know very little about weight lifting, and certainly not enough to advise my student - who is a 2nd gup red belt, 14, female, and slender. The best I can do is suggest that she does light weights and more reps, because of her size and goals (increased strength, but not significantly visible increase in musculature - which I'm sure the PE teacher has covered already). Does anyone have any more specific suggestions I can pass on to her?

Thanks!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best I can do is suggest that she does light weights and more reps, because of her size and goals (increased strength, but not significantly visible increase in musculature - which I'm sure the PE teacher has covered already). Does anyone have any more specific suggestions I can pass on to her?

Thanks!

Kacey, she can do heavy, intense and relatively infrequent workouts with absolutely no need to worry about visible gains in musculature. Without testosterone, anabolic stearoids or growth hormone, there is no chance that she will gain visible bulk. Women just don't have the upper-body fast-twitch muscle basis that men have (below the waist it's a different story) even on a per unit weight basis.

I'd suggest to her that she try one of the free weight routines in various books by Joyce Vedral. Women who develop very obvious musculature reminiscent of male body-builders, but scaled down, are hormonally very abnormal, either as a result of inherent body chemistry—this occurs but is very rare—or by chemical enhancement; most such women are on, or aspiring to get on, the pro bodybuilding circuit.

High intensity lifting is far more efficient than high-rep/low weight training, which builds endurance but is limited in adding strength (and as I say, is no more likely to cause her to bulk up than any other weightlifting program—it's just not gonna happen!) She might experiment a bit with Vedral's routines; a lot of women seem to have found them very helpful. The important thing is, keep increasing the overload in small increments, and especially, work in the body's strongest range of motion for each exercise—a power rack is the ideal piece of equipment for this kind of workout. She'll get better results and spend way less time in the gym doing it this way.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I do not support the lower-weight/more reps types of workouts for women.

Its difficult women to look muscle-bound unless they really try...such as going on a weight-gainers diet or going towards steroids. I think the fear of looking like the extreme examples shown in bodybuilding mags scare a lot of women off of weight lifting unnecessarily.

Many collegiage female body builders "look like girls". My best advice for her would be to start on the same routine and to advise her to make adjustments based on how she feels and looks along the way.

Unless she is using drugs, putting on real muscle is a slow process. She isn't going to wake up one morning and see a body thats exploded in muscle growth. In fact, its more likely that she will never at all see a body that has exploded in muscle growth.

Attached are a few pics of *competitive* lady weightlifters that also have a slender build. These ladies train to win contests and they do not have a prominant musculature.

Female-lifter-Telemaque.jpg

Weightlifting_rules.gif

FPI510210352AR_b.jpg

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The other thing I left out is that this is only going to go on until the end of the school year, at the longest. I'd like her to get some benefit from it, without too much risk of injury - it's not something she's likely to continue past June.

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Great link for lifting ideas, learning correct technique (do's/dont's) has video clips too.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

Offers free downloads for training log templates - record your progress

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/printworklog.htm

Great site for fighters, crosstrainers, MA's fitness etc.

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/strengthtraining.html

The links should be very helpfull - Ive been lifting for over 15 yrs and in MA's over 20 yrs, I still found some interesting things on these site links.

My advise is research these links. Approach with patience and start slow. Too often people start working out and within a few days are in so much pain they never go back. The trick is to build up slow. When you start lifting only do 2-3 sets with normal reps for the desired exersize at a weight that feels too easy. Leave the gym the first 2-3 times feeling like that was easy... Trust me you will feel it a bit in a day or two. Slowly increase the number of sets and weight every week. You need to let your body get use to this new idea. Within about a month you will be able to walk into the gym and hit those weight with aggression and push to new limits every workout.

I highly recomend mixing it up. By that I mean you will find certain exersizes that are designed to build MASS (ie Bench Press - for massive chest) and there are the Cutting/Shapeing (ie Dumbell Fly's - for shaping the the muscle). You dont have to get huge (there is always someone bigger) just listen to your body and adjust as you go. Consistency is key. Most recomend not lifting weights more than 2 days in a row with out a rest day. The body, muscles, tendons, ligaments need recovery time. The body grows during the rest period.

I approach lifting with a Martial Artists mind set. When performing lifts I visualize: ie. Bench=pushing an attacker off me / Curls=one handed grab, pull in while twisting / Tricep extensions=backknuckle strikes

You get the picture - focus on proper breathing and frame alignment. Being martial artists we learn how the joints are not meant to move, what hurts people, etc. Dont hurt yourself in the gym by forgetting these things.

Ok - I rambled enough. Hope this helps... Train Safe in the Gym - recovering from injury takes longer than building muscle the right way... Slow and steady. Quick gains are quick losses and will have a cost.

%-}

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The best I can do is suggest that she does light weights and more reps, because of her size and goals (increased strength, but not significantly visible increase in musculature

I believe it was Arnold Schwarzenegger who wrote that people who came into the gym for the first time and would look at the competative body builders and say "I don't want to get too big!" were like people going for their first piano lesson worrying about becoming a virtuoso concert pianist.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Our Doctor told my son (14) that propper form is very important at this age. Take her to your family Doctor and talk to him or her. It is worth the co-pay to find out. My boys where a little Gung ho triing to out do one another. The Doctor calmed then down a little.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My 13 year old wieght lifts for more strebgth and proper techniques is the only way go see a personal training for the right type of workout.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I wasn't really clear in what I was asking for.

My student's middle school PE class is currently doing a unit on weight lifting. The gym teacher told the class that anyone who was in a sport could modify the lifting program being done in the PE class to suit their sport if they could find someone who could give them a good routine. This is not something I expect that she will continue to do once this unit is over at her middle school - she just wants something that will help her TKD, not because she wants to lift weights (she really doesn't) but because her choices are to find a routine that will help her in TKD, or use the generic routine the gym teacher is providing. She asked me if I knew a good lifting routine for TKD that she could use for the gym class, and I don't. I was hoping someone could provide me with a specific routine she could use for her gym class.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I found this:

http://www.hwarang.org/Weights.html

Although I would add a like number of bench presses and some opposing muscle group exercise, such as arm curls, if your student also wants to develop punching power.

Your student should also do abdominal work, such as situps, to help prevent back injury.

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well here is my advice. I've been lifting for 3 years now, week in and out. I've found that for MA the best route to go is doing a lot of free and resistance weights. Do 3 different exercises for each muscle group, 1. medium weight (many reps), 2. Heavy weight (about 5 - 8 reps), 3. light weight (many reps). This will really isolate and tighten up the muscles, give you strenght and a nice tone. Of course, you can always change up how heavy you go and how many reps. Also doing drills like burpees with weights is also a great workout.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I'm really not being clear here. I am not looking for general advice.

I am looking for a set routine I can hand this girl, that she can use for the next 2 months for her gym class at school, which will help her with TKD. General advice does not help me, because I don't know enough about weight lifting to create a routine for her.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I am looking for a set routine I can hand this girl, that she can use for the next 2 months for her gym class at school, which will help her with TKD. General advice does not help me, because I don't know enough about weight lifting to create a routine for her.

Maybe I'm a little thick, here is a MA weight training routine from the link I posted above:

A great basic training routine for the beginner (new to weight training) that has access to a gym or weight lifting equipment would be as follows: 3 sets 15-20 reps Squats (feet shoulder width - toes facing straight)
3 sets 15-20 reps Leg Curls
3 sets 12-15 reps Leg Extensions
3 sets 25-30 reps Walking Lunges
2 sets 50 reps Standing or Seated Calf Raises

Quoted from:

This is pretty much the format I've seen used universally. Is there something else you are looking for?

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Kacey,

PM me with your e-mail and I can send you a workout I designed for my deployed MA's students Marines & Corpsman. It is too long to post here. It may help or at least give you something to cut/paste parts that you feel are what you need.

:)

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe I'm a little thick, here is a MA weight training routine from the link I posted above:

A great basic training routine for the beginner (new to weight training) that has access to a gym or weight lifting equipment would be as follows: 3 sets 15-20 reps Squats (feet shoulder width - toes facing straight)
3 sets 15-20 reps Leg Curls
3 sets 12-15 reps Leg Extensions
3 sets 25-30 reps Walking Lunges
2 sets 50 reps Standing or Seated Calf Raises

Quoted from:

This is pretty much the format I've seen used universally. Is there something else you are looking for?

No, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for - but I know just enough about weight lifting to know that I don't know enough to suggest a routine, or modify someone else's routine. That's why I'm asking for specifics - especially since she's only 14.

Thanks!

Latest Discussions