Complex calculations behind the Wal-Mart vote

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Steve, do you have any idea how much complaining happens when they raise prices 5c on an item, or move it off the $1 menu and price it at $1.29? I dealt with that when I was an ast. at BK years back. I needed rum therapy. ;)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This goes back to my earlier argument.
If -I- busted my *** for 6 years to work my way up the chain, showed up when sick, put family aside for the job, came in or stayed late when asked, etc., and some newb started making the same as me, I'd be pissed. Your 'solid performer' would be gone as I'd feel my past efforts were a waste.

That relates to an issue my chief had. We were short several bodies for the last couple of years. It takes 9 months of training -- academy & field -- before a new officer really counts as a body on the street. A lateral hire can cut that to several weeks because they don't need the academy, and FTO can generally move pretty quick. Make sure they can get around without getting too lost, check their understanding of the rules, and see how they really work... but it's a safe bet we can cut that time in half. But... laterals often want more than the starting pay; after all, they're NOT an untrained rook... Here's the problem my chief ran into; for the last couple of years nobody received their longevity/merit steps. So, say he tries to hire Officer Crockett who went through the academy with Officer Tubbs, but worked for another agency for the two years since the academy. Crockett now wants a step or two to recognize the training and experience he's bringing to the table compared to a raw recruit. Understandable... but Tubbs, with the same training and experience is still at step 1. How do you sell that to Tubbs -- that he's spent two years here, working hard, doing his job right, but you're going to pay Crockett more?

Decisions and things like this DC law or not giving longevity/merit steps have effects that ripple a lot further and in directions that aren't always foreseen.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That relates to an issue my chief had. We were short several bodies for the last couple of years. It takes 9 months of training -- academy & field -- before a new officer really counts as a body on the street. A lateral hire can cut that to several weeks because they don't need the academy, and FTO can generally move pretty quick. Make sure they can get around without getting too lost, check their understanding of the rules, and see how they really work... but it's a safe bet we can cut that time in half. But... laterals often want more than the starting pay; after all, they're NOT an untrained rook... Here's the problem my chief ran into; for the last couple of years nobody received their longevity/merit steps. So, say he tries to hire Officer Crockett who went through the academy with Officer Tubbs, but worked for another agency for the two years since the academy. Crockett now wants a step or two to recognize the training and experience he's bringing to the table compared to a raw recruit. Understandable... but Tubbs, with the same training and experience is still at step 1. How do you sell that to Tubbs -- that he's spent two years here, working hard, doing his job right, but you're going to pay Crockett more?

Decisions and things like this DC law or not giving longevity/merit steps have effects that ripple a lot further and in directions that aren't always foreseen.

It's a racial thing, Tubbs will understand!

Latest Discussions