Complementary Skills or Hobbies

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing as Taekwondo is largely about kicks, I like activities that boost leg strength and flexibility. Swimming, biking, yoga, and ballet.
I had a conversation with a guy the other day that has taken Taekwondo for over 20 years and is in the over 60's group. He mentioned adding a dance class as a way to enhance timing and coordination into his activities. I thought it was a great idea.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mostly strength training (powerlifting, strongman, kettlebells, and gymnastics with a little bit of olympic lifts thrown in there). Today's workout consisted 3x3 back squats at 275, 3x3 zercher squats at 215, sandbag shuttle runs at 135, and log clean/press at 145. It compliments my power without sacrificing mobility, and it makes throwing people a lot easier!

OP
E

EvolveMartialArts

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Of course. It provides yet another tool for self-defense.
fair point, but I was more thinking along the lines of something to help train your body or skills without actually practicing martial arts. example: like playing ping pong to help train your eyes.

OP
E

EvolveMartialArts

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mostly strength training (powerlifting, strongman, kettlebells, and gymnastics with a little bit of olympic lifts thrown in there). Today's workout consisted 3x3 back squats at 275, 3x3 zercher squats at 215, sandbag shuttle runs at 135, and log clean/press at 145. It compliments my power without sacrificing mobility, and it makes throwing people a lot easier!
I bet its quite easy to throw people with all that strength training

OP
E

EvolveMartialArts

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had a conversation with a guy the other day that has taken Taekwondo for over 20 years and is in the over 60's group. He mentioned adding a dance class as a way to enhance timing and coordination into his activities. I thought it was a great idea.
I was personally thinking about adding ballet to my workout routine to help with balance and flexibility

OP
E

EvolveMartialArts

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Seeing as Taekwondo is largely about kicks, I like activities that boost leg strength and flexibility. Swimming, biking, yoga, and ballet.
Those all seem great, swimming especially since it essential trains your whole body and doesn't hurt your joints.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
fair point, but I was more thinking along the lines of something to help train your body or skills without actually practicing martial arts. example: like playing ping pong to help train your eyes.
I start lines on drug addicts, centenarians, and neonates. How about intubating someone in a helicopter or ambulance?
I bet its quite easy to throw people with all that strength training
If you're relying on strength for the throw to work, you're doing it wrong. Strength helps, but technique is more important in most cases.
knife throwing seems like a fun hobby to pick up, I would definitely try it but I would need to get the knives and a place for a target.
A very wise man once said:
If you throw your knife in an fight...
You lose your knife.
Knife throwing against a static target is a lot of fun. If the target is moving, it's a really low percentage attack. I did some googleing and YouBoobing. And you know what? Not a single one of the "expert" and "world champion" knife throwers used a target that was moving forwards or backwards. One guy had it swinging side to side. The other had it rotating in place. In other words, a fixed distance.
If you want a distance weapon, get a gun and learn to use it properly.

Latest Discussions