Competition Team Training Regimen

bestUSAtkd

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

My apologies if this topic has been discussed previously. I did a search, and wasn't able to find anything. I have a brand new school (3 months old actually) and am forming a competition team. All of my competitors are new to taekwondo now, but I want to get them started on the right foot. The problem is that in my competition days (80's and early 90's) I never had any sort of a dedicated training routine. In fact, I kind of just did the best I could along with teaching every class, cleaning the dojang, signing people up, even replacing a roof, right in the middle of trying to train for my first US Open. You know, old school.

Any way, I'd like to create a high caliber training experience for my athletes, and I'd very much appreciate any input you all might have.

Thanks in advance.

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
How new to TKD is new? If you've only had your school for 3 months I would assume you are talking no more than yellow belts. The biggest problem your going to run into is your students not having a strong enough foundation in TKD to train effectively in Olympic style sparring.

My advice would be to stick with basic kicking and combinations and focus a lot of attention on building strength, endurance, and fast twitch muscles. Once your students have a solid foundation the real training can begin.

I always built classes around a concept or technique. So, If I want to work on counter roundhouse, all my drills would include a counter roundhouse for that class.

Hope that helps

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

My apologies if this topic has been discussed previously. I did a search, and wasn't able to find anything. I have a brand new school (3 months old actually) and am forming a competition team. All of my competitors are new to taekwondo now, but I want to get them started on the right foot. The problem is that in my competition days (80's and early 90's) I never had any sort of a dedicated training routine.
Thanks in advance.

I'd give the school at least three years before thinking of creating a good competition team. You will need that time (and much more) to develop a good foundation and a dojang that can support a competion team. Just my 5 cents worth. Competition teams are often loss leaders.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Along those lines, you can groom people for competition team by encouraging good conditioning and speed, as well as practicing sparring drills and always pushing them to have well-rounded sparring techniques.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If your knowledge is from the 80's and 90's a lot has changed. I would suggest that you go to as many local tournaments as possible and observe. If you are WTF go on Dartfish and watch some fights. Try to arrange a visit to observe local comp team. It is important that you upgrade your knowledge before you start tournaments otherwise this could cause a lot of frustration.

http://dartfish.tv/usat

http://www.dartfish.tv/ChannelHome.aspx?CR=p1

Latest Discussions