Competition advice for breaking

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya all.

I'm not new to the cometition thing, but I haven't been to a tourny in two years, competing that is. So I don't know what the judges look for these days.

Anyways, I need advice for my breaks. It's a WTF TKD style tourny (reason for me putting this thread here :) ). I have a slight problem, though. I injured my hand at my test last week, so the use of my right hand for breaks is out. I can do an elbow strike or something like that, but nothing that has to do with my fist (my left hand stinks at breaking, so that's out too LOL).

There will be three stations. Two boards each station (red belt adults and above have to break with two boards ... weird rules, but oh well). One of my instructors said that the more "showy" the breaks are the better the score. He didn't mean the super high, spinning, jumping, weird, off the wall kicks. He ment, put on a good show. So that's what I want to do.

Is there a combo you guys/gals can come up with that will look good and that I don't have to injure another body part to do so? There's not many kicks I have trouble with breaking. So three kicks or a elbow strike, and two kicks are good.

Well let your ideas go folks :D. Thanks in advance. (I will come back sunday to let ya know how I did :D ).

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
standing in one spot, front kick side kick round kick all with the same foot.... easy but kinda impressive if you do it all without putting your foot down, the side kick goes out to the side and the front and round go straight forward.

I don't know how fancy you want to get though, Jumping front kick is always nice, spin kicks are great, a standing hook is actually more difficult than a spin hook I think and therefor more impressive.

Maybe a jump front kick, continue forward to an elbow strike followed by a spin side kick again still moving straight forward.

in the end it is all about what you are comfortable doing and what you think is impressive.... let us know what you choose.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually in our tournaments, there has to be at least one power break with a hand technique, 3 boards or more for high belts. Anything in the air, both feet in the air at the same time, is considered more difficult. Also blindfolded adds points.

For the future, if I were you, I would train both hands, left and right. For our breaking requirements for 2nd dan requires now, breaking with each. Besides, you never know when you are injured. It also makes you more well rounded to train both hands and both feet. Have fun at the tournament! TW

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
For the future, if I were you, I would train both hands, left and right. For our breaking requirements for 2nd dan requires now, breaking with each. Besides, you never know when you are injured. It also makes you more well rounded to train both hands and both feet. Have fun at the tournament! TW

here here

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with your instructor-make it flashy!

Assume the stations are at 8 o'clock, 2 o'clock and 5 o'clock with you in the center and the judges at 6 o'clock. This way you are not blocking the judges' view of your breaks.

You could do a jump front kick (rt leg) to the 2 o'clock station, a flying side kick (left leg) to the 5 o'clock station, and finish strongly with a jump spinning back kick (rt leg) to the 8 o'clock station.

A major plus is having board-holders ready for you-judges hate to wait between competitors for folks to work w/unprepared board-holders.

Good Luck!

Miles

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Miles :) I definitely had a flying sidekick in mind. My instructor said tonight that most judges score higher with jump kicks. So I decided on the flying sidekick just then. He also said that you should use your best techniques to break with to ensure that you will break (or almost). So the jump frontkick is out for me. The last two times I tried that one, I missed the board or my timing was off, eventhough I had good "air time" and good technique.

But the "set up" and holders are also important. I do agree. I will have my holders picked out before I go ;) And I will have my "set up" planned out.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The tourny was bad. It wasn't worth all that planning. I witnessed one of the masters yelling at a kid (not instructor to student type of "tough love" either). The place was a "dump" (and no AC. It was 95 degrees yesterday!). My master instructor hosted the tourny, and I'm suprised he didn't tell the building owners to clean it up (he's a "clean freak").

As far as my breaks, I did a flying side kick .... ummm, I mean I tried it. Didn't work. I couldn't "pick" my holders. Who ever was there at the moment, held the boards. The two smallest guys (adults) held for my flying side kick. Between that, and my bad timing, it was a no-go. I also did an elbow, and a front kick, same thing happened .... not so good holders. But I did break with those on the second or third try.

I was also the only one in my age range and rank that was breaking. So they put me up against a 14 year old (that was the same rank, the only other female that was breaking). I got second by "default."

The whole tourny was a flop. I did get 3rd in forms, though. But I do believe that was by "default" also (there was only two other females my age that were competing in forms).

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Laurie,

Sorry to hear that the tournament facilities were not too good.

But, you went out and competed, something that less than 10% of students do-you were probably nervous, full of adrenaline, perhaps even had a bout of self-doubt. But, the bottom-line is you went out and competed. Good job!

Miles

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Miles :) I did compete under the "conditions" but it was horrible. It wasn't my best. Yes, I was nervous, but frustrated too. I was hot, soaked dobok from sweating, and I wasn't even moving much. I actually like competing, but that was the worst. I left after I did my form. The sparring was later, but I couldn't spar do to the injury, so I left. I couldn't take it (the heat and the scum of the place). Anyways, if the tourny is there next year, I'm not attending.

K

Kempogeek

I give you alot of credit for sticking it out. Im also sorry that the whole thing was a bust. Unfortunately there will always be tournaments like that. Only in a perfect world would tournaments be more organized. Anyway congrats! Here's hoping for better results at your next tournament. Good luck!!.....Steve

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Kempogeek :). Actually my next tourny is in November. I KNOW the facilities will be good there, because it's going to be held at my dojang (inter-school tourny, three schools in all). It usually runs smoothly when we host it at our dojang, because we get the kids done first, than the adults. And it's is CLEAN there ;)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, it was a learning experience. Next time you know to practice well ahead of the tournament if you want success and hopefully line up people who are good board holders. Most black belts are good holders. They know the technique, have the strength and won't falter.

As far as the environment, that's all it is. It shouldn't affect the experience. We all, the students, set up before a tournament and tear it down after. It is, what each of us make of it and contribute. Hey, I got alot of firsts because I was the only woman over 40 competing. The trophy means nothing, its how much you grow. And I think you will, as you go to more of these. Good luck in your next one. TW

K

Kempogeek

karatekid1975 said:
Thanks Kempogeek :). Actually my next tourny is in November. I KNOW the facilities will be good there, because it's going to be held at my dojang (inter-school tourny, three schools in all). It usually runs smoothly when we host it at our dojang, because we get the kids done first, than the adults. And it's is CLEAN there ;)
Things are looking up already. As always the best of luck to you. Quoting a wise man (Larry Fine):"A bad beginning is a good ending". Personal note: I don't know if I could ever do breaking. We don't do breaking at my school and Im glad about that after hearing about hand injuries from breaking and all. But I give you and everyone else who've done this alot of credit. You are more stronger mentally and braver than me....All the best, Steve

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
The nice thing about breaking is that it really helps illustrate the whole principle of not hesitating. If you choke up on a technique and don't fully commit, you run a good chance of simply bouncing off, which sucks on at least twelve dozen levels. (Especially when you have three tries, and your knuckle's just doubled in size after the first attempt etc.) Stinks when you have to work against a holder though.

Latest Discussions