Competing tomorrow

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow Sat. Oct. 28 is the memorial to American Moo Sul Kwan founder Lee H. Park.

I will again be competing in poomse. I have pics from the one I competed in on Oct. 1. I am going to build a website on geocities or something like that and upload pics of that and the memorial soon.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tomorrow Sat. Oct. 28 is the memorial to American Moo Sul Kwan founder Lee H. Park.

I will again be competing in poomse. I have pics from the one I competed in on Oct. 1. I am going to build a website on geocities or something like that and upload pics of that and the memorial soon.

You're gonna do great again, Matt. I know it!

Let us know how it went, and have a great time---look forward to your pics!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt I would wish you luck but skill always wins out so you will be a winner tommorrow with the skills that you have.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll be competing as well, in hapkido form, point sparring (with the young bucks, even though I'm eligible for the Old Man's Division ;)) and board breaking (if I hurry up and get to Lowes to get my boards...)

The tournament will be held at 10 a.m. in the Show Me Center's rec area in Cape Girardeau, Mo.

If anybody cares to make the drive and meet us/watch us compete, just send a private message sometime tonight.

I'll try to help make sure there are plenty of pics.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be competing as well, in hapkido form, point sparring (with the young bucks, even though I'm eligible for the Old Man's Division ;)) and board breaking (if I hurry up and get to Lowes to get my boards...)

The tournament will be held at 10 a.m. in the Show Me Center's rec area in Cape Girardeau, Mo.

If anybody cares to make the drive and meet us/watch us compete, just send a private message sometime tonight.

I'll try to help make sure there are plenty of pics.

Hey, zDom, good luck to you. We're all hoping for word that you and Matt have returned to us triumphant! :)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best of luck to you! Let us know how it goes. :asian:

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You both have skill and will be victorious I can see the future.
Good Luck gentlemen

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I'm guessing it's too late to wish you luck - so instead I'm going to ask how it went. Did you learn anything interesting?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all the encouragement!

It went great :)

Long day - more info/specifics later (got lotsa pics, too).

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for all the encouragement!

It went great :)

Long day - more info/specifics later (got lotsa pics, too).

OK, guys, we're all ears....??? :wink1:

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Come on zDom and Matt what happened and give us all the bloody details.
icon10.gif

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Matt will have to fill you in on his results as I was officiating in another ring at the time.

I believe he did pretty well and placed in a tough division for his rank.

As for myself: I was pleased with myself in that myself did not let me down and muff something up ;)

I competed in hapkido form, but there was only one other competing team in the advanced division. Team consists of person doing technique and person acting as what the JMAs call "uke", or person receiving technique.

The competition requires the team to do 10 techniques from the same "set" (or type of techniques).

I was the one doing technique for my team. We did "Bok Hap Soo", or "combination techniques." This set of techniques assume the original technique you attempt meets too much resistance, so you change directions and go with another technique.

We took first place. More importantly, I think we did a really nice job -- I'm pretty sure I bent my knees/got low enough on the throws, everything seemed to be smooth and well paced. My partner fell well and made big "BOOMS" that reverberated in the gym :)

I did end up forgetting to do one follow-up we had practiced in which I drop my knee to the receiver's neck as I drop my weight into a goose-neck wrist lock, and just went with a punch instead. Not a big deal - a punch is fine for a follow up, just a personal disappointment because I really LIKE the follow up I had intended to do better than just another punch. No minus points from my score, as any effective follow up is allowed and judges have no expectations for followups other than you do one without hesitation.

Two other "special" (something other than just a punch or stomp kick) followups we had practiced went really well, really smooth.

One was flopping onto my partner like going for an Americana, but with an armbar by slipping a forearm under his elbow, following a hip throw after a standing arm bar across my chest is "resisted."

The other was just a standard armbar after a major outer reaping throw (what JMA call "Osoto Gari" throw), but it was really smooth: pretty much instantly dropped into it as soon as partner was thrown (I use that one a lot).

Next event for me was board breaking competition.

Judges say "go" and competitors must execute the break without hesitation, without any slow-motion lining up motions, etc. One swing -- you either break or you don't.

Compulsory breaks were:

knife hand strike (one board, supported)
punch (one board, supported)
front leg sidekick (two boards, supported)

Then the scoring round I chose (from a choice of four options):

roundhouse (one board, supported)
spinning heel kick (one board, unsupported "speed break")
jump back turning kick (two boards, supported)

All my breaks were successful, so I took first place for my division.

The last competition for me (after a long day of officiating) was point sparring, 2nd/3rd dan division.

Rules are: point style, but match goes a full three minutes (no "winner" at 3 points, or whatever). Two points for head kicks. More or less ITF rules, i.e., hand strikes allowed to head.

Even though at 39 I am eligible for the "old man's" er.. I mean Senior Division (for age 35 and up), I still like to compete with "the kids" :)

Only two other 2nd/3rd dan black belts decided to compete. I'm guessing because one of them was DeRay Ivie, an extremely talented 3rd dan trained by my buddy Master Tim Wall of the U.S. Chung Do Kwan. DeRay usually beats his opponents by 10-15 points ;)

The kid (well, he is like 25, 26 now) is quick and has very good technique. As his instructor is a good friend of mine, I've known DeRay since he started when he was something like 14 years old.

The other guy in our division was Ted Ivie (DeRay's cousin), a 2nd dan I have also known since he was a kid. I sat on Ted's testing panel when he went to 1st dan -- part of his test was to spar me (who was fresh, having sat on the panel) while he was exhausted (having just finished most of a first-dan test ;))

As we are all friends, we talked it over and decided since I had sparred DeRay at the last tournament (he beat me in a close match by about 2 points), that we would give DeRay the bye and me and Teddy would go first.

Ted fought a great match. It was close, but I came out with more points and went up against DeRay for the 1st/2nd place match.

DeRay and I fought a great, exciting match. The score was tied in the last seconds of the match.

DeRay threw a head kick which I slipped (by about four inches, as per a photograph and what a few spectators saw ;)) and I instantly bridged the gap and countered with a punch, but the judges saw things differently so I happily congratulated him on his first place and was happy with my second place, believing that I had fought a great match against a great opponent.

Point sparring matches just go that way, sometimes: Things move fast and judges have to call 'em like they think they saw 'em.

All in all, I was very happy with how I did for the day. Really pleased. My instructor got distracted by someone during my hapkido form, so he wasn't able to give me any feedback on that, but he said I did well in my sparring matches. I value his opinion on how I did more than any trophies.

I have a CD with some pictures of the tournament but not sure how I should go about getting them up where you can see them.

(even though some of my breaks the form doesn't look as nice as I would prefer, I'll still post 'em if I can figure out how to go about doing that).

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I competed in hapkido form, but there was only one other competing team in the advanced division. Team consists of person doing technique and person acting as what the JMAs call "uke", or person receiving technique.

The competition requires the team to do 10 techniques from the same "set" (or type of techniques).

I was the one doing technique for my team. We did "Bok Hap Soo", or "combination techniques." This set of techniques assume the original technique you attempt meets too much resistance, so you change directions and go with another technique.

We took first place.

Outstanding, zD---and that sound like a very tough basis for competition indeed! Ingenuity and resourcefulness in real time---whew! Good on ya!
:highfive:

IJudges say "go" and competitors must execute the break without hesitation, without any slow-motion lining up motions, etc. One swing -- you either break or you don't.

Compulsory breaks were:

knife hand strike (one board, supported)
punch (one board, supported)
front leg sidekick (two boards, supported)

Then the scoring round I chose (from a choice of four options):

roundhouse (one board, supported)
spinning heel kick (one board, unsupported "speed break")
jump back turning kick (two boards, supported)

All my breaks were successful, so I took first place for my division.

I'd say `awesome', if it weren't so overused! :wink1: Do you break on the roundhouse with the ball of your foot or with the instep?

DeRay threw a head kick which I slipped (by about four inches, as per a photograph and what a few spectators saw ;)) and I instantly bridged the gap and countered with a punch, but the judges saw things differently so I happily congratulated him on his first place and was happy with my second place, believing that I had fought a great match against a great opponent.

Point sparring matches just go that way, sometimes: Things move fast and judges have to call 'em like they think they saw 'em.

zD, you sound like a very good sport, just as I would have bet on, and yes, those punches do tend to get by a lot of judges, from what I've observed. It's really a shame about that---you look at the WTF competitions and see where it's led to. At least the ITF allows 'em---but then maybe they should have special training for the judges so that they'll score them and people will be encouraged to use them, eh? Not much point allowing them if they're mostly going to get overlooked, which seems like it could happen if the judges are mostly looking for kicks.

All in all, I was very happy with how I did for the day. Really pleased. My instructor got distracted by someone during my hapkido form, so he wasn't able to give me any feedback on that, but he said I did well in my sparring matches. I value his opinion on how I did more than any trophies.

I have a CD with some pictures of the tournament but not sure how I should go about getting them up where you can see them.

(even though some of my breaks the form doesn't look as nice as I would prefer, I'll still post 'em if I can figure out how to go about doing that).

Sounds to me as though you have a great deal to be proud of in your performance and results at this shindig---well done!
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions