Commonly misprounced words

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I personally find it amusing that some Brits, and understandable so, when hearing Americanism twinges the ear. .

Really? I think put-on regionalisms are horrid to listen to. New Hampshire hosted the NASCAR race over the weekend, and someone on a local radio station was doing their drops from the race in a fake southern accent It sounded awful. It wasn't intended to be satire, either.

It would be fine if the person was from the south and never lost the accent, but a North Country voice trying to do a southern drawl? That's all kinds of wrong.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did "Commonly misprounced words" get to how much people are annoyed by Americanisms?

Brits aren't annoyed by Americanisms, they are annoyed by Brits using them! Americans would probably be annoyed if their broadcasters started talking with bad English accents trying to sound like Scouse (Liverpool), Geordie ( Newcastle) Brummy (Birmingham) etc. English people should talk English that the rest of us can understand, the Scots and Irish have the Gaelic, the Welsh their language so English people should have English. americanisms are for Americans, they sound silly when some air headed commentator with a northern English accent starts using them. The medalling thing is a case in point, on the radio for example, you can't tell the difference between medalling and meddling so the commentary turns into nonsense. As to making nouns into verbs, that's nonsense too. Bad English means messages are confused, meanings muddled and vital information lost. There is a reason for good English, it imparts correct information and is melodious on the ears, language shouldn't grate on you, words and sentences should be a pleasure to read and hear.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Really? I think put-on regionalisms are horrid to listen to. New Hampshire hosted the NASCAR race over the weekend, and someone on a local radio station was doing their drops from the race in a fake southern accent It sounded awful. It wasn't intended to be satire, either.

It would be fine if the person was from the south and never lost the accent, but a North Country voice trying to do a southern drawl? That's all kinds of wrong.

Reminds me of when Madonna sported an undefinable lousy and fake British accent. That was horrible upon the ear.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bad English means messages are confused, meanings muddled and vital information lost. There is a reason for good English, it imparts correct information and is melodious on the ears, language shouldn't grate on you, words and sentences should be a pleasure to read and hear.
Well...that describes me allot. Bad on the ear, rough with the tongue, pulp butcher, and contemptible to every English teach I had. By God that is what it means to be an American speaker of English. :D

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Spanglish (mix of spanish and english), the sound of it irritates allot of Mexicans. It is primarily spoken as slang, and by Mexican Americans. It equalizes it seems the same anguish that Brits suffer from hearing Americanism by Brits. One Spanglish word is, watcha meaning watch, and various other things, another is trucka (truk kay) for truck.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The chavs here aren't the same as the 'gangsta' they are two different groups altogether.
I think what people are confusing is accents, dialects and different names for things for bad English. Bad English is bad English, it's not having different adjectives for things, it's using nouns as verbs and making clumsy words up. It's appalling in any English speaking country. The use of cliches shows a lack of imagination as well, 'level playing fields, blue sky thinking, ' etc etc ad nauseum.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The chavs here aren't the same as the 'gangsta' they are two different groups altogether.
I think what people are confusing is accents, dialects and different names for things for bad English. Bad English is bad English, it's not having different adjectives for things, it's using nouns as verbs and making clumsy words up. It's appalling in any English speaking country. The use of cliches shows a lack of imagination as well, 'level playing fields, blue sky thinking, ' etc etc ad nauseum.

That is understandable, and clear as a bell. Though I do agree with verbs as nouns is degrading to a language, language is simply sounds and symbols representing an idea, or object, putting it simply. The language and rules of English have been dictated by necessity and vogue. Language is malleable and ductile. It is highly susceptible to change and influence. Look at the English language 100s ago here and in England, it has changed, and will change in a 100 years. Some say language is alive, always changing and should change. A disservice to it would to keep it stagnant. Here in the US we have Jargon in various professional fields that is so prevalent that it has become it's own language. We have, like mentioned, before, gangs and other groups braking the rules of language so badly it sends English teachers screaming. We have the youth constantly creating new ways to bend, break, and ignore the rules of English and making their own. We have professionals do the same like English teachers (dictating there inclinations on the language), writers, authors, professional athletes, groups like skate boarders, and color commentators, screwing with the language as you said. All of which creeps into our main stream language. And in time, some of it takes and same of it doesn't changing the English language.

It may tweak the ear of the British to hear another Brit say an Americanism. It may tweak the ear of some American's to hear Ebonics (for the lack of a better term off hand), or that of color commentator, or political pundit, but once it happens it gets infections. Simply because communication verbally and written can get dull and boring. And as much of an out cry from the British public about the BBC sport announcers using Americanisms, Americanism are going to stick. England and the US, are now tight with each other, we are BFFs. As a result, the English language will change because of the need for communication and influence between each. I think some of y'alls ears are going to sore for awhile. Think of Americanism this way, if any Brits who want to annoy their in-laws, pull out one of those good Ol' Americanism.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
English in England is always changing and rarely, to be honest, does words or expressions that are used by sports commentators get picked up and used by the public. They sound false and try to be too 'fashionable', they are usually ignored in use, young people here are far too imaginative to use naff soundbites, they make their own up and it's those that get picked up by the general public.
We've had many years of American imported films and television programmes but few Americanisms have survived into general use. The derision users receive isn't worth it lol!
I work in a military environment, one that is notorious for it's own jargon, all home made. Despite years of being Allies, Americanisms haven't crept in. Much of the gang culture here doesn't use American slang, it uses West Indian, the gang culture here while similiar to America's but where theirs is more Latin orientated, ours is West Indian, influenced by the Yardie gang and criminal culture. We do have the kids with their jeans round their knees trying to be 'gangsta's' of course. Our inner city kids aren't so much influenced by Americans, they have their own influences, one of course is the one we fear, the Moslem extremeism. Others are based on the country of origin of the youth, something that has come up time and again in discussions about being British and speaking English. The fact that among themselves most immigrants don't speak English is a cause for concern, although we have had and I think always will have a huge Indian influence on our language, we have many Asian words that have been in use for a couple of centuries and are still used.
I really can't see anytime soon Americanisms becoming the norm here, besides we'll watch the Olympics on Eurosport where the commentators although not all English speak impeccable English!

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
English in England is always changing and rarely, to be honest, does words or expressions that are used by sports commentators get picked up and used by the public. They sound false and try to be too 'fashionable'...!

We had Madonna. :lol:

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I really can't see anytime soon Americanisms becoming the norm here, besides we'll watch the Olympics on Eurosport where the commentators although not all English speak impeccable English!

Be patient it will. We are bound to take over the English language, and have every Brit sounding like Snoop Dog, and or using "my bad" during a Wimbelton interview. Google Americanism, Annoying Americanism etc, and the search results are mind boggling. It really "grates" the Brits, Americanism, they do. I wonder if y'all didn't go postal listening to Yoda when watching Star Wars. Is it anti-American sentiment this wave against Americanism. If so it's cute. If I ever go to England I will not say a word and use hand gestures unless someone pisses me off. Then it is all out Americanism they shall suffer of my tongue, in the most contrived British accent I can muster. Right now, I have a hankering for Chinese take-out, y'all (said, in a pathetic attempt to put on a British accent of some sorts.) :)

How to torture a Brit? Take them to a Ren Fare.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be patient it will. We are bound to take over the English language, and have every Brit sounding like Snoop Dog, and or using "my bad" during a Wimbelton interview. Google Americanism, Annoying Americanism etc, and the search results are mind boggling. It really "grates" the Brits, Americanism, they do. I wonder if y'all didn't go postal listening to Yoda when watching Star Wars. Is it anti-American sentiment this wave against Americanism. If so it's cute. If I ever go to England I will not say a word and use hand gestures unless someone pisses me off. Then it is all out Americanism they shall suffer of my tongue, in the most contrived British accent I can muster. Right now, I have a hankering for Chinese take-out, y'all (said, in a pathetic attempt to put on a British accent of some sorts.) :)

How to torture a Brit? Take them to a Ren Fare.

I think you have some odd ideas about us! Americanisms don't annoy us, we look down on them and laugh! You don't actually seem to realise how amusing we think you are! Anti American? Not in the least, we like to think we indulge you as we would favourite nieces and nephews.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Returning to the OP briefly:

Skellington for skeleton
Donimo for domino
Bockle for bottle
Eyaaa for here you are (common in Manchester)
An hotel for a hotel
Pronounciation for pronunciation

The use of the word "why" with an unnecessary preposition:

"why are you getting angry for?"

People who spell their name "Featherstonehaugh" but insist that it be pronounced "Fanshaw".

All into Room 101 please.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People pronouncing "wash" as "worsh" is something that's bothered me since childhood. Is it a regional accent? I'm from the West. To me it sounds as if the "r" is being strongly emphasized, more so than it should merely from the effects of an accent.

Also maybe somebody can explain about the pronunication of the supposedly silent "h" in When, Where, and What. Now and then I hear people say "what" and it seems as if they are carefully emphasizing the "h" sound. Is there a diction school that teaches this or is this an affectation on the part of the speaker? I'd really like to know.
When I was young, I thought I lived in Warshington, and the capital was in Washington. LOL

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kroddy rather than karate
boosh rather than bush
leftenant rather than liutenant
Nerk rather than Newark
kewpn rather than coupon
flares rather than flowers
outtare rather than out there
Sinjin rather than St. John

Big Don