Commonly misprounced words

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The seafood "SCALLOPS".

At least in New England two pronunciation denominations:

SCAAAALOPS or SCAAAWWLOPS

DAMN - now I want some along with some fried clams and french fries; be still my beating heart with clogged arteries.
:)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll warsh the close after I take out the gerbage, so throw me down yer londry.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The seafood "SCALLOPS".

At least in New England two pronunciation denominations:

SCAAAALOPS or SCAAAWWLOPS

DAMN - now I want some along with some fried clams and french fries; be still my beating heart with clogged arteries.
:)

Its SCAAAWWLOPS :D

Now don't go making fun of us New Englanders! You know I train in mah-shill oughts :lol2:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Americans pronounce umbilical differently from us as they do cervical.
American Um bee lical.....English Um bil ical
Cer vie kal ....... cerv i cal
I've never heard anyone say umbeelical. I've only ever heard oombilical or umbilical.

Cervical, pronounced servikal. Never heard cerviekal.

This is pretty interesting. It's neat to hear what you guys across the pond think we sound like! :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never heard anyone say umbeelical. I've only ever heard oombilical or umbilical.

Cervical, pronounced servikal. Never heard cerviekal.

This is pretty interesting. It's neat to hear what you guys across the pond think we sound like! :)

We hear it on telly programmes talking of which... during the last Olympics sports commentators started telling us that competitors were meddling/were going to meddle and our cyclists in particular were meddling well! this caused a lot of confusion with letters to newspapers asking what was going on, turns out the television types mean 'medalling' which is nonsense of course, they were winning medals. It seems it's an American habit! There are others..read on..!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/rogermosey/2010/08/good_use_of_language_should_be.html

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Since this is a thread about words, can I ask what "misprounced" means? As in the title of this thread, "Commonly misprounced words."

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We hear it on telly programmes talking of which... during the last Olympics sports commentators started telling us that competitors were meddling/were going to meddle and our cyclists in particular were meddling well! this caused a lot of confusion with letters to newspapers asking what was going on, turns out the television types mean 'medalling' which is nonsense of course, they were winning medals. It seems it's an American habit! There are others..read on..!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/rogermosey/2010/08/good_use_of_language_should_be.html

Huh. Sounds like the author of the article is a little uptight. Most of the folks leaving comments, as well. Come on, guys. Remove the branch from your nethers and relax a little. :D

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Huh. Sounds like the author of the article is a little uptight. Most of the folks leaving comments, as well. Come on, guys. Remove the branch from your nethers and relax a little. :D

aren't we cheeky today?!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Steve's hankering for a slap with his louche attitudes to linguistic rectitude :grrr:.

Languages evolve, aye, most especially English but WE will be the ones to decide what is appropriate, thank you very much :p.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A popular fish served here in New England is scrod. But that is not a species of fish at all, it is really the past pluperfect of the verb to screw.
As for mispronunciations, my favorite here in New England is "politician". It's correctly pronounced A-hole.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think a lot of it is accents.

My Grandparents would drive the lot of you insane.

London:
Do i' plop-lee = Do it properly.
Me = my
Innit = Isn't it.
-ink = -ing
Cla'am = Clapham
double negatives
f = th

West Country:
Thee bist = You are
How bist = How are you
Ayebee/hebee = I am/he is
Chillurn = Children
Refer to items as though they were men. He = That's

And in Canada I've learned:
Sounds like a donkey heehawing = Canadian telling you to f*** off.
Ta-ran-na = Toronto
Prolly = probably
airiss = or this
baig (pronounced like vague only with a b)= could be bag or they could mean beg
Could care less = couldn't care less
bin = been

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think a lot of it is accents.

My Grandparents would drive the lot of you insane.

London:
Do i' plop-lee = Do it properly.
Me = my
Innit = Isn't it.
-ink = -ing
Cla'am = Clapham
double negatives
f = th

West Country:
Thee bist = You are
How bist = How are you
Ayebee/hebee = I am/he is
Chillurn = Children
Refer to items as though they were men. He = That's

And in Canada I've learned:
Sounds like a donkey heehawing = Canadian telling you to f*** off.
Ta-ran-na = Toronto
Prolly = probably
airiss = or this
baig (pronounced like vague only with a b)= could be bag or they could mean beg
Could care less = couldn't care less
bin = been

LOL!!!

I read a book by Pat Macintosh a little while back: Scottish English in medieval times....
Having a good background in German dialects actually helped once I got into it! :lol:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Accents are a story unto themselves!

I was heading up to the mountains early one morning for a hike. I got about two-thirds of the way there when I decided to pull in to a diner for breakfast. A local fellow sitting near me at the counter smiled, and asked if there a lot of "beeyahs" out there. Granted I was a bit sleep-deprived, but I swear it sounded like he was asking me if there were any beers out there. Strange question for 6-something in the morning, but hey, maybe the dude just got out of work?

Then I realized he was asking if there a lot of bears out there. Oops! :eek:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Accents are a story unto themselves!

I was heading up to the mountains early one morning for a hike. I got about two-thirds of the way there when I decided to pull in to a diner for breakfast. A local fellow sitting near me at the counter smiled, and asked if there a lot of "beeyahs" out there. Granted I was a bit sleep-deprived, but I swear it sounded like he was asking me if there were any beers out there. Strange question for 6-something in the morning, but hey, maybe the dude just got out of work?

Then I realized he was asking if there a lot of bears out there. Oops! :eek:

man, in Spring hubby was in the hospital for 2 weeks. His roomy was some old black dude. the first few days he looked like he wasn't gonna make it, but then he got better and started talking...and talking and talking....and I did not understand a SINGLE world he was saying. I just smiled and nodded, hoping I wasn't going to laugh when he told me somebody dies or something.....

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Holy carp! I now know how to pisz-off a BBC sport viewer. I love the use of "Americanism." I fear they would all commit linguist suicide, if the sat through one of our color commentaries. Or, suffer our advertisements or commercials or other sources of creative language we employ. After reading the blog and all the comments, 61 to be exact. It sounds like an English teachers pet peeve convention. :) After reading the blog, I now chuckle thinking of "metaling" sounding the same as meddling, and "laps" as for swimming being visually amusing.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First, I`m from Ohio, not Ohiya. Second, it`s "daylight saving time" not daylight savings time. Adding the "S" at the end of savings makes it sound like you`re actually storing the acumulated light in a bank account somewhere.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy carp! I now know how to pisz-off a BBC sport viewer. I love the use of "Americanism." I fear they would all commit linguist suicide, if the sat through one of our color commentaries. Or, suffer our advertisements or commercials or other sources of creative language we employ. After reading the blog and all the comments, 61 to be exact. It sounds like an English teachers pet peeve convention. :) After reading the blog, I now chuckle thinking of "metaling" sounding the same as meddling, and "laps" as for swimming being visually amusing.

It actually annoys most of us not just a few English teachers, the sound of over excited high pitched sports commentators coming out with the most inane drivel and Americanisms is enough to make a saint swear. I watched the Winter Olympics on Eurosport, a calm oasis in the desert of linguistic hell. Americanisms sound fine from Americans but ersatz ones not so much. It's the verbal equivalant of the white English kids walking around with their jeans around their knees shouting 'wassup' at each other, a very sad sight indeed.

Cornish....'I'll do it dreckly'.... it's like manyana but without the sense of urgency.
Also the habit of addressing everyone as 'my lover' or 'my ansome'

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It actually annoys most of us not just a few English teachers, the sound of over excited high pitched sports commentators coming out with the most inane drivel and Americanisms is enough to make a saint swear. I watched the Winter Olympics on Eurosport, a calm oasis in the desert of linguistic hell. Americanisms sound fine from Americans but ersatz ones not so much. It's the verbal equivalant of the white English kids walking around with their jeans around their knees shouting 'wassup' at each other, a very sad sight indeed.

Cornish....'I'll do it dreckly'.... it's like manyana but without the sense of urgency.
Also the habit of addressing everyone as 'my lover' or 'my ansome'

Ersatz?
Dreckly????!!!!!

:eek:

Knew that one guy: 'Komme direkt' meant, I will eventually show up. Could be 5 minutes or 5 hours....