Commitment to development through Kukkiwon Taekwondo: Kukkiwon practitioners only, please

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear colleagues:

I am interested in knowing which of you consider yourselves to be Taekwondo instructors/practitioners who are currently and sincerely pursuing physical, mental, and spiritual development through the practice of and rank advancement in Kukkiwon Taekwondo. If you consider yourself as such, what aspects of your personal practice, work as an instructor, and participation on this board do you think serve as examples of your commitment to learning and growth through Kukkiwon Taekwondo? Who are your role models for this learning and growth and how do they serve as an inspiration to you?

Thank you so much!

Cynthia

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Regular practice of the forms and a lot of reading on the subject. As for who my own role models are, my current sabeom and my former GM both come to mind for different reasons.

A sabeom that I had about four years ago, Master Yeo, definitely an exemplar of the art. Great teacher. Unfortunately, he was also a great mechanic and his day job robbed him of the time to teach, as he also was attending night school.

Jhoon Rhee will always be on my list of role models, as he is the reason that I ended up specifically interested in taekwondo and karate (I didn't know the difference back when I was seven). I still remember the phone number thanks to that jingle: USA-1000.

Though they are no longer posting here, Puunui and Master Cole are both gents that I have great admiration for. Puunui in particular helped me look at the art with a very new and fresh perspective. He also got me looking into things on a deeper level and to appreciate some of the things that I had previously dismissed as modern fru-fru.

Prior to his arrival here, I was pretty low on TKD enthusiasm and had developed a negative view of the art that I had long loved. Thanks to him, my passion for the art was renewed.

OP
lifespantkd

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OP
lifespantkd

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Regular practice of the forms and a lot of reading on the subject. As for who my own role models are, my current sabeom and my former GM both come to mind for different reasons.

A sabeom that I had about four years ago, Master Yeo, definitely an exemplar of the art. Great teacher. Unfortunately, he was also a great mechanic and his day job robbed him of the time to teach, as he also was attending night school.

Jhoon Rhee will always be on my list of role models, as he is the reason that I ended up specifically interested in taekwondo and karate (I didn't know the difference back when I was seven). I still remember the phone number thanks to that jingle: USA-1000.

Though they are no longer posting here, Puunui and Master Cole are both gents that I have great admiration for. Puunui in particular helped me look at the art with a very new and fresh perspective. He also got me looking into things on a deeper level and to appreciate some of the things that I had previously dismissed as modern fru-fru.

Prior to his arrival here, I was pretty low on TKD enthusiasm and had developed a negative view of the art that I had long loved. Thanks to him, my passion for the art was renewed.

Like you, I appreciate anyone who encourages me to look into things at a deeper level and with a fresh perspective. Being open to learning yields great rewards.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Cynthia